Geocaching on cruise ships?

lovewater

Has anyone heard of geocaching on cruise ships? For those of you who haven't heard of it, it's an activity where you use GPSs to find hidden caches around the world. I've already checked and they are located on the islands we'll be visiting on the Legend in March, but wondered about on ship.

Lovewater :)

Hello Lovewater

we are avid geocahers as well. We Love it!! They do not have any on the ships but definitely on the islands. we will be doing some in Cozumel in June off the Inspiration. Let us know what and how you did. Great to finally find another geocaching cruiser.:D

I am technology challenged, so Iwould probably suck at this! It does look quite interesting, though. I would love to go along with someone who knew what they were doing. I will have to keep an ear out about this here at home.

Has anyone heard of geocaching on cruise ships? For those of you who haven't heard of it, it's an activity where you use GPSs to find hidden caches around the world. I've already checked and they are located on the islands we'll be visiting on the Legend in March, but wondered about on ship.

Lovewater :)

don't feel bad, when we first read your post we thought it would be a cool idea for a sea day activity as well. Sometimes we can't see the forrest for the trees. LOL But hey we were right there and excited with ya.

The only treasure huntI have ever heard of on the ships is the Bar Crawl... where you hunt down your next favorite drink... :D

And I don't think I need GPS for that... :cool:

That would be great to have "Lola" (voice of my GPS) tell me approaching a rum Punch in 50 yards.....:)

Okay all, a "DUH" moment! :rolleyes: but maybe in port? But I must say, it's like Easter Egg Hunts and Johnny Depp treasure hunting all rolled up in one. Okay...so there's no eggs...gold...or JD, but darn if it's not a good time!

ADFREE, I'm glad there's someone out there that knows what I'm talking about. I will be checking out the caches on the islands. I recently found a "Surrender Da Booty" pirate travel bug that started off in the Bahamas at the Pirate Museum. It will be the first time I hunt out of the states. Wish me luck. :D

Dzamma1 I went to the Geocaching web site and was looking around. I can't find anywhere that tells me if MY GPS unit would be good for this. I have a Garmin Streetpilot C340. I would love to get involved in this. Sound fun. Can you give me some advice. Is my unit compatable?

Dzamma1 I went to the Geocaching web site and was looking around. I can't find anywhere that tells me if MY GPS unit would be good for this. I have a Garmin Streetpilot C340. I would love to get involved in this. Sound fun. Can you give me some advice. Is my unit compatable?

I could be wrong, but you need to be able to input coordinates. My Street Pilot doesn't allow that. I have the C330. Does the C340 allow it?

I've geocached on every cruise I've been on (8 of them). Definately makes traveling to the islands more interesting. If you have a Geocaching account you can log in at http://www.geocaching and see the caches I've found. (I'm also known as SeaScout over there).

If planning on caching in the islands make sure you read the posted logs for the previous finds. the tips and hints may help you locate the caches or inform you if it has recently gone missing.

My most interesting find on a cruise? I would have to say the cache on St Johns USVI where I found a GIANT Tarantula spider hiding under the cache container. Yep, that was an interesting trek. Name of the cache is "cinnamon cache". Its been archived now but the logged visits are still posted.

Happy caching

DH and I geocache at home and it is a blast! We always take our GPS with us and use it in ports. It has come in handy on more than one occasion! We'll have to look and see of there are any caches where we are heading. Our last cache at home was just stolen so I've been working on putting a new one together to put back out, that is when we have a little less snow!

I've been known to cache from time to time. I took my Garmin eTrex on the last cruise, it was pretty cool to see exactly where we were at any time.

Even if there WAS a place (and a way) to place a cache on a ship, it would violate the "moving cache" guideline.

I suppose they could create a "moving Cache" classification and just give out a physical location of the cache aboard the ship, then when you find it you can establish your Actual location and it would map it and you would see the trail of the ship through all the "finds". Just a thought.

We didn't geocache on board our ship, but we do letterbox. We planted a letterbox on the last cruise we went on and put up a relatively cryptic clue about it. I don't know if it will last since ships are cleaned pretty regularly and if it is found it will be discarded, but so far I think it is still there. (and on a Carnival ship from the West Coast):)

When I 1st read this title on Geocaching I had a great laugh. As knowing

that the ship is moving.

My old handheld gps which you could enter the long and lat numbers, we

had alot of fun.

Unfortunately it had a frightful death by a trucks tailgate a few years ago.

The new Garmin GPS street series doesn't allow this.

But it would be fun to do it again in some of the ports.

We also Geocach - haven't done it in a while however previously we have done it on our cruises - Panama, Costa Rica to name a couple. It is great fun and recommend it to anyone, especially families who like to do outdoor activities together. We are Sharpshooter on the Geocach website.

Agree - it's nice to meet other Geocaching cruisers!:D

Hello Lovewater

we are avid geocahers as well. We Love it!! They do not have any on the ships but definitely on the islands. we will be doing some in Cozumel in June off the Inspiration. Let us know what and how you did. Great to finally find another geocaching cruiser.:D