travel insurance

Hi Pika8347,

I wouldn't say it's a gamble, though there's risk involved. Here's what we say:

Buying travel insurance is a risk: You are trading a known certainty (your hard earned money) for an unknown quantity - the promise of the insurance policy doing what it says it will do. This is why we pre-screen our plans.

People manage the risk of losing money on a trip different ways: (none are right or wrong, they )

• Some people stick with the same insurance company for every trip
  • Some self-insure
  • Some ignore travel / trip / cruise insurance altogether
  • Some take their agent's advice
  • Some shop around
  • Some forget

Imo, getting travel insurance is a personal decision, therefore none of these choices are right or wrong, they are just a matter of personal preference.

This has all been great information - thank you. This July we are traveling with our kids and grandkids (15 of us total) and I've been trying to research TI - for that many you never know what could happen. It definately sounds like this would be money well spent. I've only gotten TI info from the travel agent, I will check out these other websites. Thank you everyone!

My family and I are going on the NCL Gem in April. When we travel we always use Access America. My family of 4 is paying $89.00 for the family! My kids are bringing a friend each and we have to pay $39.00 for each of them because they are not "our" family members.

I can honestly say that dealing with this company is a no hassle experience. Two years ago on the Dawn I was at the Ship's Doctor twice in 10 days. We had to pay the Dr. fees on the ship but when we got home we just submitted our claims to Access America and within a very short time we were reimbursed.

I hope this helps you or anyone else with a Cruise Insurance question.

Have a great trip.

Clare

Clare

take a look at www.insuremytrip.com. You can compare different insurance companies there....Hope this helps a bit!

This is definitely the way to go. Various companies with different coverage are available so you can personalize your policy. Several now have a "Cancel for any reason" option. There is even a policy that will cover multilple trips withing a specified time period for those who travel frequently.

Another post in defense of getting the insurance:

Initally, DH and I scoffed at spending the extra money on travel insurance. We're both fairly young and healthy, and never really saw the need. Thankfully, we decided to invest in a policy when we booked a cruise to Alaska, because it was so far in the future at the time that we figured who knew what could happen over the next year and a half. We got to the port in Seattle a few days early and were doing the tourist thing, when the day before the trip DH starting feeling off. He ended up in the emergency room with a stomach ailment. Thankfully, it was caught early enough that we still could take the cruise, but the bills between the emergency room, prescription medication, etc., really added up. The travel insurance covered every cent of those expenses, and with minimal hassle filing claims.

On our next trip, we both thankfully remained healthy, but my cell phone was stolen at the airport and the travel insurance also covered that completely.

Question....

Say you are on the cruise and you have a minor ailment needing medical attention from the ship's doctor. Will insurance re-imburse you for that?

Hi lovemythreeguys,

Any travel insurance plan that covers medical will reimburse you as long as you seek the itial treatment on it while on your trip.

You should also check the paperwork the medical facility gives you. Sometimes they accidentally leave off important you will need to file your claim.

I hope this helps you.

Travel insurance is a big waste of money if you're young or older and healthy. I you a mastercard from my bank and book all travel with it. My mastercard says that travel insurance is included FREE of charge. Even if it wasn't already included for free I have never bought travel insurance because through hell, sleet or snow I am going on my vacation and making the best of anything.

Thanks for all the advice, comments and tips on this thread!

I have always been the "nah, it won't happen to me kind of person", and yes, in all our travels thru out the years, we've always been (knocking furiously on wood here, lol), healthy, happy, injury and sickness free.

However, I really don't want to worry about "what if? and the idea of losing the money I paid for my cruise makes me nauseous.....

So, I booked cruise insurance last night. :)

I read the fine print, (my eyes were literally falling out of my head), and it seems like a good, basic plan that will work for us.

Cheap peace of mind, IMO...:) I'll spend more than that on a massage in the spa ;)

I use TravelInsured International for my insurance, they are a "partner" with USAA. Very reasonable rates, and when I tripped in San Juan, sprained my ankle and broke my kneecap, they paid all of my bills, and quickly. Very good customer service, too. My total premium for that trip (no pun intended) was just about $100, I think.

I have been told by several sources that it is better to purchase your insurance from an "outside" company - not the cruiseline. The cruiseline has a vested interest in keeping your money, I guess, whereas a third party might be a bit more lenient or understanding.

Liz

I have been reading various policies and am confused about what is considered a "trip delay". We are flying direct on the same day that the cruise departs (I know it's a big no-no, but it couldn't be helped) and the flight is supposed to arrive at 12:41pm. The ship departs at 4:30pm. If our flight is delayed more than 3 (or so) hours, we will obviously miss our cruise. However, all policies have "trip delay" with various number of hours (the ones I looked at had between 5+ and 12+) specified. Since 3 hours is not greater than 5 or 12 hours, will we be covered as long as we include both flight and cruise costs in the coverage? Also, would this situation be considered a trip delay or trip interruption? TIA!

Archived