Tipping

pepster2

I have seen on several post people saying they either opted in or out on automatic tipping. I think I prefer the automatic but friends we are going with like the traditional way. How do you opt in or out. I really didn't see how to do it. We have put different charge cards with each of us for on board account. Also if three of us in a room and we have different credit cards attached to each of us will the tips be put on each persons card? Wondered as I made the reservations and paid for tickets up front want to make sure tips get put on each persons card and not all on mine

Unless things have changed since last spring, you will receive a questionnaire part way thru the cruise asking how you prefer to deal with gratuities. You can charge them to your Seapass card, so it would make sense that each person in your cabin could handle as they see fit.

Even if you do the "pre-paid", you will still receive a small envelope and voucher for each of your servers. You can write a little thank you on the voucher, or you can also include a bit more cash if you so desire.

Hope this helps!

Unless things have changed since last spring, you will receive a questionnaire part way thru the cruise asking how you prefer to deal with gratuities. You can charge them to your Seapass card, so it would make sense that each person in your cabin could handle as they see fit.

Even if you do the "pre-paid", you will still receive a small envelope and voucher for each of your servers. You can write a little thank you on the voucher, or you can also include a bit more cash if you so desire.

Hope this helps!

Recently returned after a 42 day cruise on Mercury and no change to the options on paying gratuities, exactly as described above. Enjoy your cruise.

RoyBoy:D

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I had read about the voucher system on Celebrity before I went. I like to prepay the gratuities - just helps with money planning - and then give a bit more if appropriate. I thought that by prepaying, I wouldn't have to mess around with trying to track everyone down and hand them the envelopes. It seemed to make my last day a bit more hectic and less enjoyable.

You never have to hunt anyone down on the last day to hand out gratuities - you leave your steward's and asst. chief housekeeper's on the bed on the last evening. You bring the ones for your waiter, asst, waiter, and asst maitre'd to the dining room and give it to them that night.

If you wish to tip anyone else, you do have to track them down even if you pre-pay as they are not included in the prepay list.

Also, you do not have to opt out of pre-pay. You only return the form if you are pre-paying your tips.

We sailed on Summit last October, and the tips were not automatically taken like the other cruise lines are doing. They gave us recommendations as to what we should tip who, and it was left up to us to do what we wanted, meaning cash in envelopes. I believe you can arrange with the office to have it taken automatically if you wish, but I am not sure about that. If you do that, it will be added to your personal bill like your drinks and excursions are. Each passenger gets his/her own separate bill.

I believe you can arrange with the office to have it taken automatically if you wish; it will be added to your personal bill like your drinks and excursions are. Each passenger gets his/her own separate bill.

This is correct.

We sailed on Summit last October, and the tips were not automatically taken like the other cruise lines are doing. They gave us recommendations as to what we should tip who, and it was left up to us to do what we wanted, meaning cash in envelopes. I believe you can arrange with the office to have it taken automatically if you wish, but I am not sure about that. If you do that, it will be added to your personal bill like your drinks and excursions are. Each passenger gets his/her own separate bill.

Tips are not automatically charged to your account unless you ask that that happen.

extra amount to the normal tip IF you prepay via your ship board account. OR, must you still give the extra directly to the person?

I'm not sure that is possible. I'll defer to our resident Celebrity expert.

Why would you not want to give the person who gave you such great service the tip directly? Gives you another chance to thank them for their outstanding service. I also plan on writing thank you notes this time based on a great suggestion from these boards. Most of these people are busting their butts to give us a great experience onboard and I like to acknowledge them for this.

Just easier to give them a thank you card and not have to carry cash with us.

I guess we'll just keep doing it the way we always have though. As then they have the extra money right away. Not sure if they Must wait for it when getting it from the cruise line.

Archived