What to wear on departure day

FOURunderFOUR

I tried searching the archives for this, but I am terrible at search words and didn't find much. We are flying in (from the cold, wintery upstate NY) into FLL the day of our cruise. Obviously I will need layers due to the temperature diffs, but I am not sure what to wear. What do most people wear to board? Usually when I fly I try to look 'somewhat" fashionable (as much as a 31yo mom of 4 young kids with no fashion sense can) - but also want to be comfortable. This is the first time we are going away with NO kids, so I don;t have to worry if my outfit is breastfeeding-friendly or if my shoes are run-after-the-kids safe! My 'uniform' is a pair of dark trouser-style jeans with a lightweight turtleneck sweater and a pair of heeled boots....not all that appropriate for Florida or the Caribbean. Do people even wear jeans on cruises?? I do have a pair of white linen pants that are super comfy and cute (I think), but I will look absolutely ridiculous leaving NY in white linen and sandals. What to do??? I want to be comfortable and look good... What have you worn or plan on wearing?

THanks

I'll be wearing jeans when we go to LA for our Hawaiian cruise. I do wear jeans on the ship but GASP (!) never in the dining room! Unless, of course, my luggage hasn't arrived by dinner time on the first night. Wear what you'll be comfortable in. It's a long day of travel. You'd be surprised how many people at the airport will already be in "tropical" attire.

Have a great cruise. :D

Susan

Boarding day is very casual, mostly because of the same reason you stated, people are coming in after hours on a flight or drive.

Jeans are seen alot, along with capris. since you are coming from a very cold area to a warm area you may want to bring a carry on with a change of lighter clothes, those white linen pants maybe, just change at the airport before taxing the taxi to the pier.

Just make sure to change in the restroom;)

In 2 weeks i will be making a 7 hour drive to port, we have to start driving by 4am....can you just imagine the way i'm going to look after that drive is over:eek:

We leave from Atlantic City for Ft Lauderdale next Sunday (can't wait!!) and I'm wearing a lightweight jogging set (jersey slacks, a tank and jacket) - not too heavy. I'm wearing slip on Keds and packing my sandals in my carryon. Figure that I can take the jacket off once we're in FL and switch over to my sandals - good to go. I'll pack a pair of white capris, too - so I can switch into them once onboard. My husband is wearing khakis, golf shirt and cotton sweater - he can lose the sweater once we're there. Packing him a lightweight jacket to wear coming home. I guess we'll be alright!

I don't even TAKE jeans to the Caribbean--they're simply not tropical!!!! I usually wear my bathing suit under a sun dress or shorts, so I'm ready to hit the pool! (Of course, we arrive a day early, so dressing for boarding is less of a problem)

Wear what you need to to leave the cold weather--you can bring shorts or something in your carry-on and change once you get to the ship! Then, you can wear the same clothes home and back into the cold!

I think comfort is important when traveling. I am comfortable in jeans, so I frequently wear them traveling. But I'm not a jeans on a tropical cruise kind of person, so for me I would probably wear them for boarding and disembarking. I see many women wearing jogging suits or yoga pants, which would be comfy. Loosing the jacket (which many would find very useful on the plane) once you arrive in Florida at the airport would work.

This is what I wear when I fly south!! Jeans lightweight top and my crocs. Since I live in Ohio and fly south I usually have to wear a coat but its one that will fit in my suitcase without any problem. Darn cold weather!! lol

I'll be flying in on Sunday 1/13/08 from chilly Boston Ma wearing

jean capris, t-shirt, sweatshirt, sneakers.

But you can bet my sundress, bathing suit & flip flops will be in my carry-on ready to head straight to the pool, of course after I order my first of many pina colada's. Have Fun!!

I've always worn jeans on the plane, with a short sleeved shirt of some type, and a fitted zip-up hoodie or blazer. I bring shorts or capris and sandals in the carry-on and change when I get there.

Also, just wanted to note that I've always been glad to have the jeans on the cruise, I get cold easily and sometimes it's nice to have long pants to wear on the ship. It's definitely NOT always tropical temperatures inside with the A/C, at least for me. :)

AND - - remember - - - they take a "boarding photo" (not the ID one), and you want to look good for it. We have bought this photo every time we've cruised! Oh, and it typically is a full body photo, so don't just drop your purse and carry-on at your feet, or they will be in the picture too!

• 2 weeks later...

Your uniform sounds just like mine!!

I like to utilize the gym on board whenever I can. My sneakers take up too much valuable luggage real estate. so I wear my workout sneakers with a lightweight jogging suit and a tank top underneath on travel day. I try to go with a darker color in case of spills on the plane. (Somehow, I always wind up wearing my coffee). in your carry on take a bathing suit, light weight flip flops, extra underwear and a pair of shorts. If they misplace your luggage you can get by with the tank top and shorts if need be. I also brought a pair of capri jeans but never put them on because it was just too hot for them.

Your comfort is the most important thing so wear whatever makes you feel good.

Happy Cruising:)

Kelly

I will be leaving the freezing Minneapolis this Sunday with jeans and a t-shirt with a sweatshirt over it and my sandals (I think my feet can take it) I'll just leave my huge coat & boots in my car at the airport. Can't Wait!! Southern Caribbean here we come!!!

I wear khakis or summer weight jeans, shoes and socks (my feet get cold on planes), a short sleeved shirt with a long sleeved shirt over it. I carry sandals in my tote. As we are landing in Florida, I change my shoes and take off my long sleeved shirt.

I tried searching the archives for this, but I am terrible at search words and didn't find much. We are flying in (from the cold, wintery upstate NY) into FLL the day of our cruise. Obviously I will need layers due to the temperature diffs, but I am not sure what to wear. What do most people wear to board? Usually when I fly I try to look 'somewhat" fashionable (as much as a 31yo mom of 4 young kids with no fashion sense can) - but also want to be comfortable. This is the first time we are going away with NO kids, so I don;t have to worry if my outfit is breastfeeding-friendly or if my shoes are run-after-the-kids safe! My 'uniform' is a pair of dark trouser-style jeans with a lightweight turtleneck sweater and a pair of heeled boots....not all that appropriate for Florida or the Caribbean. Do people even wear jeans on cruises?? I do have a pair of white linen pants that are super comfy and cute (I think), but I will look absolutely ridiculous leaving NY in white linen and sandals. What to do??? I want to be comfortable and look good... What have you worn or plan on wearing?

THanks

I too am flying in from upstate NY, although the day before. I'm planning on wearing yoga pants, sneaks, and a comfy top. Then I'll have capris and a matching tee to change into. We are driving to the airport and leaving our coats in the car. I REFUSE to wear a winter jacket flying into Florida! :)

Great thread! I have already started thinking about this. I am planning lightweight knit pants with tank & hoodie that can tie around the waist if needed when we arrive. I like slip on shoes through the airports these days. Makes me want to leave tomorrow! :)

Layers all the way.

I wear khakis, a light cotton T-shirt, with usually a big denim shirt over that & a cardigan. I will often wear my big sun bonnet to keep my dead warm but it's the only visual give away that I'm off to a tropical destination. I usually wear sneakers & socks with cute sandals in my carry on. The layers come off on the plane so when I deplane, I'm wearing sandals, khakis & the t shirt. Everything is in the carry on & does double duty. The big denim shirts becomes a make shift bathrobe. The cardigan gets thrown over other outfits to ward off AC chill.

My standard outfit is whatever pants I own that is most comfortable with water rentition at time of travel, a nice soft tee shirt (not the Van Halen tour of 1990 type more of llbean type) , a light weight sweater, scarf, knit gloves, socks with slide loafer shoes. Our MO is hubs drops me off at curb with luggage to check in while he parks so I am outside not that long usually. I gradually take off the gloves, scarf and socks as trip goes on and warm up, these are a lot less bulky than a coat to stick in bag and get off with good winter tropic outfit .

The socks are great for taking shoes off at airport scanners , the scarf is invaluable for just a little bit of warmth needed sometimes on plane or as a neck support.

I like to look nice too. but comfort is the main key

One thing I've learned, never wear white while traveling. My pants always get dirty and I don't know how:eek: My up coming cruise I will have navy velor pants and a nice top. I always wear shoes that I can take off easy because I have an artificial leg so it's hard to wear shoes without taking along a shoehorn. So....no kids:rolleyes: Husband will be very excited:D of course they always are:D

Have a wonderful time, and traveling be comfortable, it's a long flight.

Happy cruising,

Pam

For our cruise last January we flew in from snow and very cold temps from Salt Lake City, Utah to Fort Lauderdale I wore nice pair of Jeans and 3/4 length sleeve shirt and found that very warm when we arrived in Fort Lauderdale If I was you I would wear a short sleeve shirt and a zipper hooded that once you arrive in Fort Lauderdale you take off and put in your carryon.

Christine

Archived