Life Boats?? How many do they carry????

tooexcitedtogo

I'm not sure how many they hold, but I do know that they have many of them as well as inflatable rafts. Now I'm not really sure of this either, but I believe Maritime law requires them to have enough emergency equipment such as rafts and boats to completely evacuate the ship.

On http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/shipscarnival.php if you pick a ship then look at the FACT SHEET; it has various information about the ship including life boat availability and capacity.

Example from Carnival Freedom

Life Saving Appliances: occupancy each total occupancy

2 - emergency rescue boats 60 120

1 - tender boat 117 117

23 - motor lifeboats 150 3450

64 - davit launched life rafts 35 2240

5 - davit launched life rafts 25 125

Grand total lifesaving capacity: 6052

For a ship that could have up to 4910 (1180 crew, 3730 max pax) souls onboard.

I'm not sure how many they hold, but I do know that they have many of them as well as inflatable rafts. Now I'm not really sure of this either, but I believe Maritime law requires them to have enough emergency equipment such as rafts and boats to completely evacuate the ship.

I THINK that the larger lifeboats are for the passengers, and that they hold about 100 or so. The life rafts are actually for the crew, if I remember what our muster drill leader told us.

Thanks for the replys. I can't believe how many they hold.. Wow.. Again... Thanks

They really are quite large.

During Freedom's inaugural European season they often used them as tenders at some of the less 'improved' locations they moored off shore at. Seemed to work well!

I was told 150 at our last muster drill by a crew member. We were in the first group at the front end of the deck and in front of the life rafts. I was told that we would all be in the boats if it was necessary and the rafts were just an extra precaution. Makes sense to me, if the ship listed to one side they might not be able to launch the boats on the opposite side, but you could always just throw a raft in the water. (knock on wood)

Hope this doesn't sound stupid but I am currious how many people the life boats on the Carnival ships hold? In watching a cruise special, they said 150.. Is that right.. I mean they look big but not that big..

Somewhere I heard or read that cruise ships are required to have life boat/raft capacity for somewhere between 120 and 150% of the total number of people on board. This is in the event that some of them are unusable at the time of an incident

We tendered in lifeboats and they said they held 150. DH and I spent most of the tender ride trying to figure out how! On first count we decided 88- then after deciding were to cram more people in maybe 100. I want to know where those extra 50 people go!

We tendered in lifeboats and they said they held 150. DH and I spent most of the tender ride trying to figure out how! On first count we decided 88- then after deciding were to cram more people in maybe 100. I want to know where those extra 50 people go!

You can get a lot more in since nobody would have beach bags, backpacks, camera bags, purses .....

Just you and your lifejacket baby. :eek:

You can get a lot more in since nobody would have beach bags, backpacks, camera bags, purses .....

Just you and your lifejacket baby. :eek:

I'd be bringing my cooler :p

I still want to know where 150 people go to the bathroom?

Well since Liv is bringin' the TP, just hang it over the side.

:D

Of bigger concern, 150 people cramped into a hot little space that is bobbing around in the ocean. I hope someone has a mop and a bucket.

Archived