Live from the Caribbean Princess

HOLLYW

Hi all!

Captain just anounced during dinner that there is a tropical depression hitting St. Thomas & St. Martin . . . our next 2 stops there are cancelled!!! They are "hoping" to secure a spot in Jamaica on Wednesday. Then we will stop in Naussau on Friday. What a dissapointment. After 2 days at sea everyone seemed ready to get off the boat tomorrow. The line is long for internet - we do get free internet and phone for the rest of the week, but there is no discount offerend yet. More to report later . . .

Holly

I read a report that the tourist areas of Jamaica were not hit hard and are open for business - see attached

KINGSTON, Jamaica, Sept. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- With the passing of

Hurricane Ivan, initial reports indicate that the majority of

Jamaica's tourist regions and airports suffered little serious damage,

the Jamaica Tourist Board announced it today. Efforts are now underway

to assess the overall damage and get life back to normal.

Visitors from the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom as

well as other countries took shelter in hotels throughout Jamaica.

Initial reports indicate that these visitors remain unharmed and their

safety continues to be a priority.

Hi all!

Captain just anounced during dinner that there is a tropical depression hitting St. Thomas & St. Martin . . . our next 2 stops there are cancelled!!! They are "hoping" to secure a spot in Jamaica on Wednesday. Then we will stop in Naussau on Friday. What a dissapointment. After 2 days at sea everyone seemed ready to get off the boat tomorrow. The line is long for internet - we do get free internet and phone for the rest of the week, but there is no discount offerend yet. More to report later . . .

Holly

Go right now to the Explorers Lounge, look up Devonish or Bo who will take good care of you no matter what happens with your itinerary! I hope it all works out well for you!

Giving Holly the benefit of the doubt, I don't believe she is expecting or requesting a discount, only commenting on recent sailing events. Thanks for the info Holly, hope you have a great cruise experience in spite of Mother Nature. Cheers!

I do too!! I guess it was the way it was worded and I Misunderstood. Sorry if I sounded harsh!!! This is a terrible season. Most of us who ony book at this time of year, understand that ports can be cancelled, cruises can be cancelled and Itinerarys changed. It is not something the cruislines want to do, but have to for passenger safety. This year certainly prves that point!! Again, my apologies!!!

Holly... the good news is that the captain has your personal safety at heart. He won't sail to anywhere there's danger for you. With all of the hurricanes this season, and some of them are huge, affecting entire regions, it's hard to find an area that hasn't been or will be affected. If one cruises during hurricane season, you can expect departures from itineraries and other changes. That's why the rates are so reasonable at this time.

As the oldtime ad says, "Don't fool with Mother Nature!"

I'm on the Caribbean Princess as well. I just spoke with the front desk and our itinerary is now a third day at sea tomorrow (Tuesday), Montego Bay on Wednesday, Ocho Rios on Thursday, and either Nassau or another sea day on Friday, returning on Saturday as scheduled. Of course the weather has a mind of it's own wo all of this is subject to change at any time. I don't really care about any refunds or credits, Princess has no control over the weather and is doing everything they can to keep us safe and make it as enjoyable as possible along the way. Of course, if they offer anything I surely won't turn it down! This is still better than being at work!

Here is the letter that was just delivered to our cabin:

M/V CARIBBEAN PRINCESS

September 13, 2004

Dear Paqssenger,

We hope you are enjoying your time aboard Caribbean Princess and look forward to spending the remainder of the week with you.

Further to my earlier announcement, we are aware of your concerns and questions regarding Tropical Depression 11. As the safety and comfort of our passengers is of the utmost concern for us, we are carefully monitoring the movement of this severe storm. We would like to assure you that all precautions will be taken to avoid this, as yet, unnamed storm and your safety will not be compromised in any way.

As there is now a tropical storm warning for Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Maarten and the Northern Lesser Antilles, and to alleviate any discomfort for our passengers, the decision has been made to alter our course. We will now pass to the west of Puerto Rico through the Mona Passage into the Caribbean. We will then set course for Jamaica.

We hope to spend Wednesday in Jamaica; we will advise you soon of our decision to dock in Montego Bay or Ocho Rios. Both of these Jamaican ports are fully operational and were not substansially damaged by the recent passing of Hurricane Ivan.

We will continue to monitor the progress of Tropical Depression 11 and hope to make a call in Nassau on Friday prior to our return to Fort Lauderdale.

We anticipate that this change will ensure a smooth voyage and we are confident that you will understand that this decision was made with your safety and comfort in mind. As many of you may have family members that have been following the news and are concerned for your safety, effective immediately, we will provide you with 10 minutes of complimentary telephone service from your stateroom and 15 minutes of complimentary internet service at the Internet Cafe.

If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Passenger Services Desk. We appreciate your understanding. On behalf of the Officers and Crew of Caribbean Princess, I would like to thank you for sailing with us and wish you a pleasurable continuation of your voyage.

Best regards,

Nicolo Bommarco

Captain

ciao

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure you had other things you'd rather be doing than retyping a letter--that was very thoughtful of you. :) I am sure many are concerned about their loved ones on this voyage. I'm glad to see Princess is taking care of you. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Thank you for sharing with us while you are aboard the Caribbean Princess. We wish you all a wonderful cruise. Good to know you are in great hands.

We will be on Caribbean Princess 9/25/04, so do hurry back...

Prayers and best wishes are with you all.

~Kathi~

I am sailing with Faithpath on the 9/25 sailing and cannot believe what this hurricane season has brought on Florida and the cruise industry.

I feel like we will be lucky if we get to go on our itinerary at all. I am praying that we will at least get on that boat!!! I am at the point where I don't care where it goes as long as it goes and I go with it!!! Keeping the faith and a positive attitude! Praying for those on board now and also those in the path of tropical storm #11!

:( :confused:

I'm shocked that Princess would go to Jamaica with the reports that we're seeing here in Southwest Florida and what I've been reading on line. There are still looters around, so please be careful where you venture off the ship. Hopefully you all enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Take care and enjoy your cruise. I too, applaud the Captain for the wonderful job he is doing. It looks like the crew will really have to earn their money this week.

Maybe September should be mystery cruise month. All aboard and away we go. Where we stop, nobody knows!:)

RTROEH,

Thanks for the update on where you guys are going. We are set to leave this Saturday so keep the ship in good shape for us. We have a nice size group that has met on cruisecritic and we WILL be enjoying our 7 NIGHTS on the ship. When we get back from St. Thomas and St. Maarten next week, i am sure that we will let you know how the ports were. Keep us up to date. Thanks again.

Sorry to hear about your ports changes. We were on the 8/28 9 night CP which was slated to be the eastern route but ended up being western with a month of sea days (lol). I am sure Sue D Miller did not mean to sound harsh. Florida has been hit so hard with hurricanes everyone is on edge. I do understand you wanting to get off the ship. After our delays we were ready to get off too. I know people hate Jamaica but due to our revised ports were went to Jamaica and booked the Magaritiville excursion to Negril and it was actually a high light of our cruise. We have been to GC and Cozumel so many times it was nice to do something different.

I know when we were delayed I had posted about our delay and received a few harsh replies but keep up your spiritis and enjoy the ship. Yes, it is hurricane season and it make most prices much better and sometimes this is the only time some people can go so just make the best of it.

Two words of advice.

In our experience on the 8/28 9 night CP cruise Princess was slow in giving us information. Keep checking the internet even though I know the lines are long. Check here, noaa and have friends and family keep you up to date.

When they opened phone lines for us there were only 4 and we could never get out. I heard from one lady she was able to get a line at 3:00 am so be creative.

The BEST advice I can give you is IF you are delayed and are flying and did not use the Princess Air program do whatever it takes via the interent, phone lines in a port, travel agent, family or airlines website to change your reservation EACH and EVERY time you experience a delay.

We luckily through hard work were able to do this and were able to fly out on the last flight that left FLL for CLT on the Monday we got back. Those who did not use Princess air and did not change their air reservations EACH time we were delayed were put on stand by and many had to wait for 3 days to get a flight out.

The crew is great, captain wonderful but hard to understand (lol). Keep a great attitude. Consider it a mystery cruise but do not forget my advice should you need it.

DC :)

I have missed ports due to hurricanes in the past... but at least the ship is able to avoid the worst weather and can try and find some sunshine and blue water somewhere... Had you booked a land vacation at one of the affected islands, it would be a total disaster... Spending vacation in a hotel with no electricity, running water, etc and trying to get a flight out is pretty yucky.

At least the captain is working from all the lastest data to put you in the best place possible given all the constraints.

You are right! We spent a week in Playa del Carmen in July and the weather was awful and there was not even a Hurriance or devastation just a lingering front.......how many times have you been to Yucatan and had to wear a jacket because you have goosebumps. A few days reminded me of winter days here in NC just gloomy and rainy :( We were couped up with our 3 and 6 year old sons and Sponge Bob in Spanish only goes so far so thanks for the perspective you are right ;)

Archived