For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

I'd strongly suggest that you keep up with this thread:

How is San Juan as departure port?

Especially as you get closer to your cruise time. Apparently there have been some changes made by the authorities in San Juan in recent weeks which have put the whole turn-around process into a shambles.

I was caught in the first and second weeks of this disaster, and unless they get their act together, it will continue to be a mess for the foreseeable future.

Theron

Mommy4lyfe,

I booked the SEGWAY for 12:00noon the same day we were to depart as well. I have to tell you, I was very nervous about this because the doors do not open until 11:30am. Our plan two weeks ago was to go to the terminal, check our bags in and then leave to enjoy the SEGWAY tour. When we first arrived, the lines (two of them) were tooooooo long and by the time they opened up the doors and got everyone through the lines it would have been well past noon. We got there originally just before 11:00am and the doors had not yet opened. We went on our way and cancelled the SEGWAY because it was raining some. We came back at 4:30 and the lines were still unbelievable. So if you are trying to give yourself some time in order to make the 12:00 tour, you might still be cutting yourself short. Just wanted you to be aware of those lines. Our hotel had storage and the hotel that you are staying at might have it was well. If that is the case, might I suggest that you leave your luggage in the hotel's storage area, head out to your SEGWAY tour that way you won't be rushed. When tour is over, head back to your hotel and then head to the Pier. No stress that way.

Mommy4lyfe,

I booked the SEGWAY for 12:00noon the same day we were to depart as well. I have to tell you, I was very nervous about this because the doors do not open until 11:30am. Our plan two weeks ago was to go to the terminal, check our bags in and then leave to enjoy the SEGWAY tour. When we first arrived, the lines (two of them) were tooooooo long and by the time they opened up the doors and got everyone through the lines it would have been well past noon. We got there originally just before 11:00am and the doors had not yet opened. We went on our way and cancelled the SEGWAY because it was raining some. We came back at 4:30 and the lines were still unbelievable. So if you are trying to give yourself some time in order to make the 12:00 tour, you might still be cutting yourself short. Just wanted you to be aware of those lines. Our hotel had storage and the hotel that you are staying at might have it was well. If that is the case, might I suggest that you leave your luggage in the hotel's storage area, head out to your SEGWAY tour that way you won't be rushed. When tour is over, head back to your hotel and then head to the Pier. No stress that way.

Although the doors did not open until 11:30, did you get a chance to drop off your luggage before the doors open? Our hotel is near the airport and the Segway tour is near the port. If we can drop off our luggage and than come back after the tour to get our sea pass. I also heard that Jose at Segway have a place were they can lock up your luggage. Is there a certain time that they start allowing the guest to drop of their luggage?

i know what a compass is BUT i dont think i understand it here....whats a compass?:D Im new......

The Compass is the wonderful listing of all things that will be happening on your ship for each day of the cruise. You'll receive it the night before so you can make an attempt to plan your activities for the next day. Ours was always left on the turned down bed, along with candies on the pillows. :)

i know what a compass is BUT i dont think i understand it here....whats a compass?:D Im new......

It is the daily "newspaper" publication that gives a schedule of events for the day. For instance- spa specials, drink specials, show times, port information and other information about what is happening on the ship.

Hint- a highlighter comes in very handy for highlighting times, events, etc.

Hello Everyone

I am back with another AOS question. How early can we drop of our luggage at the pier? I would like to drop of my luggage at the pier, go into Old San Juan and do the Segway Tour by 10am and return to the ship around 12:30pm to check in and get my sea pass. Please share you knowledge and your experiences.

Thanks so much for your input and advise.

I have two questions:

#1 My daughter is going on the Explorer in December and one of her stops will be San Juan. She wants to prepay for the Segway but is afraid of the possibility of rain. Did it cost anything to cancel?

#2 Could you send me copies of the Compasses as well. My email address is: a.alleniverson@comcast.net Thank you

Sharon I

Well we are considering to book our 3rd cruise in a row on board the Adventure of The Seas. Looking at same date as other cruises on AOS, Mothers Day May 10. We love San Juan. There will be at least 6 of us and maybe 12 to 14 when all said and done. If we book we will be staying at Embassy Suites in Isla Verde again, 2 nights prior and 1 night post cruise. This will be the Barbados route but instead of St. Thomas we go to St. Croix. An island we haven't been to. Will keep all of you posted about our booking.

Sealeggs

I have two questions:

#1 My daughter is going on the Explorer in December and one of her stops will be San Juan. She wants to prepay for the Segway but is afraid of the possibility of rain. Did it cost anything to cancel?

#2 Could you send me copies of the Compasses as well. My email address is: a.alleniverson@comcast.net Thank you

Sharon I

Is she booking it thru the cruise line or directly? We booked the Segway tour directly and we are not required to pay until we arrive. There is no fee to cancel an excursion with the cruise line as long as you do it within the required time (24hrs before I think). Don't have a copy of the Compasses, my cruise is not until 12/21/08.

Mommy4lyfe thanks for answering my question, would you have the link or the tele number for the segway tour. She really is interested in doing this.

Sharon

Sharon - You are more than welcome. I have attached the web link and it contains all the info you need including phone number, price and how to make reservations. It took Jose a couple of days to respond and he did send a confirmed appointment email.

Tell your daughter to have a great cruise and please share her experiences. I was on the EOS last Christmas and New Years and loved every moment.

http://segwaytourspr.com/

Hey CKrobyn,

have you tried buffalo? Lots cheaper and a MUCH nicer airport to fly out of.

Actually we flew to Orlando this past August on Jet Blue out of Buffalo and it was fantastic :D and of course, MUCH cheaper!!!

The main reason I won't consider Buffalo for a winter cruise is the logistics of getting there if we are dealing with a snow storm! I can always make it to the Toronto Airport, but to drive 2 hours in a blinding storm could be a bit of a challenge. Of course chances are the weather will be clear.....but with Canadian winters, you just never know!!

I managed to find decent airfare out of Toronto for February on American Airlines - around $500 per person return with good flight times :)

Actually we flew to Orlando this past August on Jet Blue out of Buffalo and it was fantastic :D and of course, MUCH cheaper!!!

The main reason I won't consider Buffalo for a winter cruise is the logistics of getting there if we are dealing with a snow storm! I can always make it to the Toronto Airport, but to drive 2 hours in a blinding storm could be a bit of a challenge. Of course chances are the weather will be clear.....but with Canadian winters, you just never know!!

I managed to find decent airfare out of Toronto for February on American Airlines - around $500 per person return with good flight times :)

Robyn,

A fellow Torontonian (or close enough) here. We have done the snow storm drive in the past and it was nto much fun but we just left about 5 hours earlier than planned and tried to find snow plows to follow. Thankfully the roads were open all the way. Our plan is to always leave a day early and stay at a hotel if it looks like a bad storm is coming.

The nice thing about there being a snow storm is that you also know your plane will be late leaving so you have a bit of extra time.

My cut off is about 30% premium to leave out of Toronto. I will pay $130 to leave from Toronto for every $100 to leave from Buffalo. YMOBAMV - (your mileage or bank account may vary!)

Jan 25 AOS - second AOS trip and third sailing from SJ in a year.

Hawt1

We board the AOS Dec 21st for an 8:30 departure. We have late seating ( by choice). 8:30.

I absulutely will not miss the sail away, as that is one of my favorite parts of a cruise! How do I see sail away and go to dinner?

I usually like to stay on deck until I can't see land anymore and I don't know how that will be in the dark and out of SJ.

Do you think they will make the dinner hour later than 8:30... it is kinda late to start dinner...

We board the AOS Dec 21st for an 8:30 departure. We have late seating ( by choice). 8:30.

I absulutely will not miss the sail away, as that is one of my favorite parts of a cruise! How do I see sail away and go to dinner?

I usually like to stay on deck until I can't see land anymore and I don't know how that will be in the dark and out of SJ.

Do you think they will make the dinner hour later than 8:30... it is kinda late to start dinner...

moofus,

I had the same sort of question, as we always have late seating and I also understand that the night sailaway from San Juan is spectacular. I was hoping it could be enjoyed from the main dining room if one has a table by a window, especially a starboard side window. Has anyone been able to enjoy one of these sailaways from a window in the main dining room?

David

Archived