For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

ok... questions...

i just got cabin 8574 for my november sailing, but i saw the promenade w/shops on that floor too (according to pics in travelocity) so...is it noisy/busy on that floor? oh yea its the AOS but i guess u guys knew that already:D..

Hey Toonjie, i followed ur advise and booked the marriott stellaris pre-cruise, is Mi Casita restaurant far from there?

Can I make reservations to Portofinos's prior to boarding?

What the heck is the hump and why is it so popular?

What is the latest i can board?...i dont want to be on the ship before 2pm

oh ok ill with the ?? for now:p

Hey, they only left one question for me to answer! ;-)

Mi Casita is in Isla Verde, across the street from the Intercontinental Hotel. They have good Mofongo, but the atmosphere is not that great. It is around a 10 minute drive from the Marriott, so the same as to Old San Juan. If you are looking for great local food, I would recommend either Raices or the Parrot Club in Old San Juan.

thanks ill be sure to check those two restaurants out before leaving....

Now that i have my cabin and finished reviews of the ship...now for the ports...im sure ill be back with ???

Thank you all for ur responses...

Just returned from San Juan and the AOS this past Sunday. We were very disappointed in San Juan. Mind you, we stayed before and after in the Isla Verde area near the airport. We stayed in a Hampton Inn before departure - I would not recommend it. The one bright spot was the Courtyard by Marriott in Isla Verde that we stayed in after getting off the ship. It was very nice with a very nice staff, great beach and pool area.

The airport is very third world in my opinion. Had my camera bag stolen in baggage claim not five minutes after arrival. No police or security officers in sight anywhere. Had to take a taxi back to a police station to file a police report and then the report won't be available until next week. Signage in the airport very confusing and in some cases lacking.

We found people in general to be somewhat rude and inconsiderate. The city was generally dirty. if you look closely, everything has locked gates and burglar bars.

I am told that outside of San Juan, PR is beautiful. Please, I don't need a bunch of flames, thats just one man's opinion.

Just returned from San Juan and the AOS this past Sunday. We were very disappointed in San Juan. Mind you, we stayed before and after in the Isla Verde area near the airport. We stayed in a Hampton Inn before departure - I would not recommend it. The one bright spot was the Courtyard by Marriott in Isla Verde that we stayed in after getting off the ship. It was very nice with a very nice staff, great beach and pool area.

The airport is very third world in my opinion. Had my camera bag stolen in baggage claim not five minutes after arrival. No police or security officers in sight anywhere. Had to take a taxi back to a police station to file a police report and then the report won't be available until next week. Signage in the airport very confusing and in some cases lacking.

We found people in general to be somewhat rude and inconsiderate. The city was generally dirty. if you look closely, everything has locked gates and burglar bars.

I am told that outside of San Juan, PR is beautiful. Please, I don't need a bunch of flames, thats just one man's opinion.

No flames, I promise!

I am sorry to hear your camera bag was stolen - that is horrible and if it were me, I would have been freaking out big time :(

I am not a huge fan of San Juan (the city) itself - but I do love the it's culture and it's people. I hope that this experience will not put you off for good.

As much as I'm not looking forward to arrival and departure I have myself prepared. I've only been there once on our first cruise as a stop and we didn't get there until around 6pm so I can't say I really got to experience SJ. We are actually going for the Adventure and the ports. I'm considering staying an extra day or two just to be able to see the Island outside of the pier. I sure wish a cruise went to Aruba from a FL port. Does anyone know of one? It would make things easier for sure (and less expensive too). Does it really matter where you stay pre and post cruise? Is everything of interest just a matter of taking a taxi too? Off to read the SJ forum.:D

As much as I'm not looking forward to arrival and departure I have myself prepared. I've only been there once on our first cruise as a stop and we didn't get there until around 6pm so I can't say I really got to experience SJ. We are actually going for the Adventure and the ports. I'm considering staying an extra day or two just to be able to see the Island outside of the pier. I sure wish a cruise went to Aruba from a FL port. Does anyone know of one? It would make things easier for sure (and less expensive too). Does it really matter where you stay pre and post cruise? Is everything of interest just a matter of taking a taxi too? Off to read the SJ forum.:D

there is at least one direct flight from Logan to San Juan on American with great times down and back that have had wonderful prices. Don't know price now. We are actually spending less on flights then we normally do to Florida.

there is at least one direct flight from Logan to San Juan on American with great times down and back that have had wonderful prices. Don't know price now. We are actually spending less on flights then we normally do to Florida.

I'll check it out. I have been following for Sat to Sun but now may be adding a day or two. It's been running around $330 for Sat to Sun and $286 for Sat to Mon but then we would be spending the difference on food and a hotel. Still not sure what to do. What is a good price anyway?

Staying at the Intercontinental one night pre-cruise. Planning on taking a taxi to the pier. What time should we begin to make our way to the pier? Do they have a special line for platnium or just Diamond?

And we are flying home the same day we arrive back in SJ. Should we arrange transportation to the airport with the ship or take a taxi?

As always thank you for the great tips.

Anna:)

We like the Hampton Inns generally, but what are the reasons you wouldn't recommended the one in Isla Verde? :( We haven't booked our pre-cruise hotel yet, but we were thinking about Hampton Inn...

We are booked on American from Logan to San Juan on Nov. 28 and return on Dec. 13. Great prices and perfect times. :)

Sorry it's on US Airways. We are on American on flights in February... got mixed up!

Staying at the Intercontinental one night pre-cruise. Planning on taking a taxi to the pier. What time should we begin to make our way to the pier? Do they have a special line for platnium or just Diamond?

And we are flying home the same day we arrive back in SJ. Should we arrange transportation to the airport with the ship or take a taxi?

As always thank you for the great tips.

Anna:)

Hi Anna,

The Intercontinental is a lovely hotel - the pool area is fabulous!

Yes - there is a special line for Platinum and Diamond/Suite Guests at the Port. Having said that, even that line gets busy pretty early, so I would suggest you arrive a the port no later than 10:30am, or you will be stuck in the line for sure.

When the cruise is over, you do not need to pre-arrange for a cab back to the airport, there are plenty of cabs waiting to pick up passengers right at the port.

You are going to have a great cruise! I see this is a consecutive cruise for you - exactly one month before mine!!! :D

Robyn...Thankyou for answering my question and for starting this thread.

Yes, this is our first B2B.

And of course another question or two...about how long of a cab ride from the intercontinental to the pier? Our friends are travelling with us. They are not platinum...can they still stand in line with us since we are linked?

Thanks again...Anna:)

Robyn...Thankyou for answering my question and for starting this thread.

Yes, this is our first B2B.

And of course another question or two...about how long of a cab ride from the intercontinental to the pier? Our friends are travelling with us. They are not platinum...can they still stand in line with us since we are linked?

It's 15-20 minutes from the Intercontinental to the Pan Am Pier. They should have no problem getting in the Plat./Diamond line since they are linked to your reservation, unless you get a real stickler. I would get there at 10:30 and you won't find that much of a wait in any line once they clear the ship and start letting people onboard.

I'll check it out. I have been following for Sat to Sun but now may be adding a day or two. It's been running around $330 for Sat to Sun and $286 for Sat to Mon but then we would be spending the difference on food and a hotel. Still not sure what to do. What is a good price anyway?

Both of those are good prices compared to what's been going on the last year or so with fuel prices. Anything under $350 I would be happy with even though now JetBlue has some $88 rates each way for this Fall. I'm thinking of taking a long weekend at the Marriott! :)

Rianvi - I agree entirely with my friend toonjie, except on one point.

If your friends are not Platinum, they are not entitled to wait in the Platinum/Diamond/Suite line. There is nothing to tell the staff at that point that your reservations are linked as you are standing outside the terminal building. It has been my experience that the staff have asked to see our set sail pass (maybe it says on there what your C&A status is?). Having said that, it does not happen ALL the time - but I have seen folks asked to leave the line if they do not meet the criteria to be in it in the first place. You can certainly try to have them wait with you, just be prepared for some questions, 'cause it could happen :o

Thanks Robyn. The reason I asked is that last year, Cape Liberty, my folks were allowed to stand with us. I didn't ask it was offered. So I think we will just leave well enough alone and meet on ship.

Rianvi - I agree entirely with my friend toonjie, except on one point.

If your friends are not Platinum, they are not entitled to wait in the Platinum/Diamond/Suite line. There is nothing to tell the staff at that point that your reservations are linked as you are standing outside the terminal building. It has been my experience that the staff have asked to see our set sail pass (maybe it says on there what your C&A status is?). Having said that, it does not happen ALL the time - but I have seen folks asked to leave the line if they do not meet the criteria to be in it in the first place. You can certainly try to have them wait with you, just be prepared for some questions, 'cause it could happen :o

Two things...I do not see anything on my SETSAIL Pass that indicates what level of C&A we are in.;) Secondly, we have had experiences where first time cruisers and traveling with us, were allowed to enter the Platinum line with us. :)

Just found out where on the SETSAIL Pass our C&A status is located. :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=20642320&posted=1#post20642320

I actually checked my set sail pass (I am cruising in 20 days) and I saw the darker 'D' and assumed that it meant Diamond. Thanks for the clarification :):)

reading all (yes all 2095) posts. :eek: Took me 4 days but I gleaned so much information!! Thank you Robyn for starting this post! I was leery about it at first thinking it was going to be bad news for the AOS and I didn't want to read that!

We will be sailing with RCI for the first time in April on the AOS. I talked my in-laws into sailing with us!! WOOHOO! My DS's (who will be 10 & 14) will be going with us - it's their Spring Break. I can't wait to see the reactions from my kids as it's their first time sailing!

Just a few questions:

1 - we are all staying pre-cruise at the Holiday Inn Express ($60/room + points - couldn't beat that so...). What is around there to eat?

2 - We plan on touring OSJ pre-cruise. Where do we catch the free trolley? My MIL has a hard time walking/standing for any length of time and I'm afraid the hill to El Morro would kill her!

3 - I've read on here that taxis won't take more than 4 people in a group. Has anyone experienced that? We're also thinking about hiring a private driver to get us from SJU to the HIE and then to the pier the next day. I know I read someone's review and this is what they did and loved it. Anyother feedback?

4 - I couldn't talk my in-laws into staying an extra day post-cruise, so they are flying back the day we return to PR. They have a 12:55pm flight. I'm not concerned about them making it to the airport as much as I am about Mom standing for long periods. Do you reccommend that they get off in the first group to avoid the lines at SJU? If they do that, can they still use the Luggage Valet (they are flying Delta)?

5 - Given where we are staying pre-cruise, where would you reccommend we eat dinner? My kids are not that adventurous when it comes to food, but the rest of us can be!

I feel for all of you with the airfare. I was looking at paying for our airfare and for the 4 of us (not counting mom & dad) to fly would be close to $1000! Instead we booked all 6 of us for $30 roundtrip!! Got to love those frequent flier miles!!!

Thanks again Robyn for starting this thread!

Here is some infor for question #2. :)

Free Trolley in Old San Juan!

There is an amazing trolley that goes for free in Old San Juan and this has several points where you can go off, including the two famous forts.

Departure points: Covadonga, La Puntilla, Plaza de Armas, and as mentioned the two forts….is you are not yet at a stopping station, try to wave at it for it to stop – it just might as we observed.

reading all (yes all 2095) posts. :eek: Took me 4 days but I gleaned so much information!! Thank you Robyn for starting this post! I was leery about it at first thinking it was going to be bad news for the AOS and I didn't want to read that!

We will be sailing with RCI for the first time in April on the AOS. I talked my in-laws into sailing with us!! WOOHOO! My DS's (who will be 10 & 14) will be going with us - it's their Spring Break. I can't wait to see the reactions from my kids as it's their first time sailing!

Just a few questions:

1 - we are all staying pre-cruise at the Holiday Inn Express ($60/room + points - couldn't beat that so...). What is around there to eat?

2 - We plan on touring OSJ pre-cruise. Where do we catch the free trolley? My MIL has a hard time walking/standing for any length of time and I'm afraid the hill to El Morro would kill her!

3 - I've read on here that taxis won't take more than 4 people in a group. Has anyone experienced that? We're also thinking about hiring a private driver to get us from SJU to the HIE and then to the pier the next day. I know I read someone's review and this is what they did and loved it. Anyother feedback?

4 - I couldn't talk my in-laws into staying an extra day post-cruise, so they are flying back the day we return to PR. They have a 12:55pm flight. I'm not concerned about them making it to the airport as much as I am about Mom standing for long periods. Do you reccommend that they get off in the first group to avoid the lines at SJU? If they do that, can they still use the Luggage Valet (they are flying Delta)?

5 - Given where we are staying pre-cruise, where would you reccommend we eat dinner? My kids are not that adventurous when it comes to food, but the rest of us can be!

I feel for all of you with the airfare. I was looking at paying for our airfare and for the 4 of us (not counting mom & dad) to fly would be close to $1000! Instead we booked all 6 of us for $30 roundtrip!! Got to love those frequent flier miles!!!

Thanks again Robyn for starting this thread!

You are most welcome!!!! :D

I cannot answer all of your questions, but I will do what I can.

With reference to question #4 - the San Juan airport is a crazy mad-house on Sundays :eek: There are very few places to sit during the check in process. I would definitely recommend that they get to SJU early so they can avoid long line ups and go right through security to the departure lounge where they can sit and relax. The busiest time at SJU seems to be between 10am -12pm - with the peak around 11am.

I don't know where the Holiday Inn Express is located, so I can't help you with where to eat......:confused:

Way to go with the frequent flyer miles!!!! We too just booked 3 round trip tickets and only had to pay the tax!

You will love the AOS - what itinerary are you doing?

You are most welcome!!!! :D

I cannot answer all of your questions, but I will do what I can.

With reference to question #4 - the San Juan airport is a crazy mad-house on Sundays :eek: There are very few places to sit during the check in process. I would definitely recommend that they get to SJU early so they can avoid long line ups and go right through security to the departure lounge where they can sit and relax. The busiest time at SJU seems to be between 10am -12pm - with the peak around 11am.

I don't know where the Holiday Inn Express is located, so I can't help you with where to eat......:confused:

Way to go with the frequent flyer miles!!!! We too just booked 3 round trip tickets and only had to pay the tax!

You will love the AOS - what itinerary are you doing?

We are doing the Aruba, Curacao, Dominica, ST. Thomas itinerary. DH and I have done the Barbados itin on Celebrity. We wanted to experience new islands with the kids - and AOS fit the bill!

I'll let mom and dad know about getting to SJU early so they have somewhere to sit. I don't think SJU has a Delta Crown room - not that it would do much good since DH won't be with them (we're staying an extra day at the Embassy Suites Isla Verde).

I've been doing LOTS of research and I'm still not sure what we are going to do!

In Aruba, I'm thinking that we'll do a TomCar tour I'm just concerned about me driving one of those though!

In Curcacao, I really want to swim with the dolphins, but I also want to see the island so I'm torn.

In Dominica, either river tubing or Wacky Roller Adventure Park are leading the pack, but also may do a tour with Levi at Bumpiing Tours or with Reyno at Reyno tours. Also since our youngest is studying North American Native Indians in school this fall, I would also like to take a tour of the Caribe settlement with him.

This will be mine and DH's 4th time to St. Thomas so I'm thinking of taking the ferry to St. John and doing something! So much to choose from and no one wants to make any decisions just yet!:eek:

Oh well, final payment hasn't been made yet so I still have time. I want to try and get as much paid for before we leave (chocolate covered strawberries and champagne, soda cards for the kids, maybe a wine package, excursions) so that all the money we bring will be for souvenirs and off ship meals. Of course some of that cash will also be for extra tips for the staff too (they will have earned it after dealing with my picky eaters)!!

One more question - we are booked for MTD - how hard is it to get a dining time at 7pm? I'm thinking that will probably be about the time we want to sit and eat. I know one of my first stops on the ship will be at MTD to make our "reservation" for the first night - although I may skip dinner and just stay up on deck to make sure I don't miss sailaway! I loved sailing out of San Juan on our last cruise - it was magical!

Archived