For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

Thanks for the excellent information on AOS and SJ!!

We are sailing AOS on Sept 20th doing the Aruba itinerary. I will write a review after returning.

We have the following port plans:

Aruba - half day jeep excursion

Curacao - Scuba Diving with The Dive Bus

Dominica - Scuba diving with Nature Divers down by Scott's Head

St. Thomas - Magen's Bay in the morning and shopping in the afternoon.

4 of us on the same cruise...

Is there somewhere else to eat breakfast besides the Windjammer on Port days ?

For anytime dining which DR do we go to as there are so many levels?

Is one DR dedicated to Anytime ?

See my previous post about breakfast. For our sailing on AOS My Time Dining was on Deck 5.

Hope this is not true :eek: ...dinning room is our favorite for breakfast!

Ken, I wanted to wish you a great cruise! Can't believe that the time is almost here, seems like just the other day we were talking plane ticket prices, but I guess it's been a year now! Have a wonderful time! :)

I actually have family in San Juan and will be flying in late the day prior to my cruise. My question is it worth renting a car to get to the port or should I just take a taxi. I found a website listing the taxi prices and they are roughly the same as the rental. However, I am not sure where if I can drop my car close to the port or not. What do you suggest? This is my first cruise by the way. Oh and I was wondering if anyone has any shore excursion recommendations? I planned this trip less than a month before I leave (23Aug) so I am a bit hurried in sorting about my plans! I am not sure to get a book, book something on my own, or through RC itself. Any recommendations are greatly apprecaited. Thanks!

I actually have family in San Juan and will be flying in late the day prior to my cruise. My question is it worth renting a car to get to the port or should I just take a taxi. I found a website listing the taxi prices and they are roughly the same as the rental. However, I am not sure where if I can drop my car close to the port or not. What do you suggest? This is my first cruise by the way. Oh and I was wondering if anyone has any shore excursion recommendations? I planned this trip less than a month before I leave (23Aug) so I am a bit hurried in sorting about my plans! I am not sure to get a book, book something on my own, or through RC itself. Any recommendations are greatly apprecaited. Thanks!

When we were there 4 years ago, there were no rental car facilities at the pier. The closest one was at the airport. If things are still the same, then you would have to return the car at the airport and then take a taxi over. My suggestion would be to have family pick you up at the airport (if possible) and then take a taxi from their house to the pier.

As for excursions, if I had booked this late, I would probably just try to book excursions through the cruiseline even though they are more expensive than doing it on your own (most of the time anyway) - but I'm just a little OCD that way! If you knew for sure what you wanted to do, you could check out the ports of call pages to find a reputable company in that port and book yourself within the next few weeks. You could also check out the Roll Call board for your cruise date and see what others are doing and maybe gleen some ideas from them. I wish I could help you with excursions, but I'm 230+ days from sailing and I still don't have a clue what we may want to do!

Enjoy your cruise! Once you cruise, no vacation will ever be the same again!

Is there a wine bar at the Promenade? Thanks

Also, what adults only area there?

CC

No, there is not a wine bar on the Royal Promenade of the AOS - there is Vintages on the Mariner and a few other Voyager class ships I believe. On the AOS where Vintages would be, is the Sports Bar.....and you can get wine there! :)

The Solarium pool is adult's only. Not sure I know of any others offhand?

Slyjester-

Take a taxi. Taxi prices in San Juan are fixed from point to point, and they are posted. There is no car rental facility near the Pan American Pier. If you own a plane, you are in luck though... the pier is next to the old airport; we watched small planes fly out from our balcony on AOS the afternoon that we sailed. Taxi fare is reasonably priced.

We sailed this route in January 09. We splurged on the excursions in Aruba and Curacao. Aruba we did the all day tour with ABC Aruba. There were about 15 of us in their "Batumba". Had a great time; everyone loved it, adults, teens and kids (there were 10 of us in our group that day). Curacao we did the Wonderful World of Water tour with Curacao Actief. We had a fantastic guide in Curacao (Kim) and the island is just fantastic. We booked both tours online, and it was well worth it.

One word of advice: The wind usually blow reliably in Aruba and Curacao. However, if there are tropical systems in the ocean north of the islands, the wind dies down and it gets a lot hotter.

Have a wonderful time; we loved AOS and the itinerary!:)

-Bill

No, there is not a wine bar on the Royal Promenade of the AOS - there is Vintages on the Mariner and a few other Voyager class ships I believe. On the AOS where Vintages would be, is the Sports Bar.....and you can get wine there! :)

The Solarium pool is adult's only. Not sure I know of any others offhand?

I was on the Navigator and it had vintages... it was good cause there was wine and no kids....:D and my team has a Bye that sunday so I won't be watching football....

CC

Archived