For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

Thanks very much - I may plan an excursion now for embarkation day!

You may want to wait to book it until you get to San Juan. If you are flying in the same day you cruise, if there is a problem with your flight, you could miss your excursion. Unless you are like us and flying in a day ahead then ignore my post all together!:)

We'll be staying at the Caribe Hilton with transfers to the peir from Royal Caribbean. We know we can take the provided transportation fairly early, but does anybody know if they have later shuttles so we could do sightseeing Sun AM as suggested above?

We'll be staying at the Caribe Hilton with transfers to the peir from Royal Caribbean. We know we can take the provided transportation fairly early, but does anybody know if they have later shuttles so we could do sightseeing Sun AM as suggested above?

Hi Trantor

We are also staying at the Caribe Hilton- with transfers. As far as I know, everyone will be picked up at the same time - usually around 11am. I don't think they go back to do another trip.

We were also wondering if it was possible to do a little sightseeing. Maybe if you board the ship early enough you could drop your bags then go off for a while. We don't sail til late - but of course you would need to be back before Muster. It may just be too much hassle. Then again, I don't think we are docked near the town. Does anyone know where the ship will be docked?

Sue

Can I ask a nosy question? How much are the transfers from the hotel to the port. We just returned yesterday from AOS. The night before we stayed at the Hilton Caribe and the morning of the sailing we came out were in a taxi in 2 minutes and it was $20.00 for the 4 of us + $1.00 for each of our suitcases. I thought that this was a fantastic deal and we were on our own schedule. Just an FYI, there is a new restaurant opened at the Hilton Caribe (cant for the life of me remember the name) but it is just past the general store. The food was good and dinner for the 4 of us came to about $48.00. We didn't have any alcohol though as we were too exhausted after our long day of traveling. The Quesadillas on the appetizer menu are amazing and more than enough for one person for dinner.

Can I ask a nosy question? How much are the transfers from the hotel to the port. We just returned yesterday from AOS. The night before we stayed at the Hilton Caribe and the morning of the sailing we came out were in a taxi in 2 minutes and it was $20.00 for the 4 of us + $1.00 for each of our suitcases. I thought that this was a fantastic deal and we were on our own schedule. Just an FYI, there is a new restaurant opened at the Hilton Caribe (cant for the life of me remember the name) but it is just past the general store. The food was good and dinner for the 4 of us came to about $48.00. We didn't have any alcohol though as we were too exhausted after our long day of traveling. The Quesadillas on the appetizer menu are amazing and more than enough for one person for dinner.

Thanks for the advice about the new restaurant. I must admit I wasn't looking forward to paying Hilton's exhorbitant prices for dinner!:D

BTW - not sure about Trentor - but our transfers are included as part of the cruise/flight deal - no additional cost although I'm sure we're paying for it somewhere LOL.

Sue

Thanks Happitravels. We'll be staying at the Caribe Hilton for 1 night after our week on AOS. If you by chance remember the name of that restaurant we'd appreciate if you'd post it.

Hi Addict:

Other posters have identified the Pan Am Pier near the Old San Juan Airport (NOT the current international airport) as where we board. If you search for that on Google Earth (you may need to refer to it as Pan American Pier), you can actually see the Adventure of the Seas! Using the ruler in Google Earth, it looks to be about 1.2 miles from the Caribe Hilton. From the Hilton, it's about 2 miles to Old San Juan, about 2.75 total from the Hilton to El Moro. Translation: a cab ride, not a walk. Of note, I've since run across a post from someone (can't locate it now) stating that it was difficult to get a cab to agree to take them to the Pan Am pier due to traffic. (Others disagreed, saying they'd never run into that issue.)

Just curious Robyn, but what is the airfare from TO to SJ? The price of airfare is really keeping me away from cruising from Florida and SJ. Not to mention the horrifically long flight!

YYZ to SJU is long? Try living on the west coast. 14 hrs

Hi Addict:

Other posters have identified the Pan Am Pier near the Old San Juan Airport (NOT the current international airport) as where we board. If you search for that on Google Earth (you may need to refer to it as Pan American Pier), you can actually see the Adventure of the Seas! Using the ruler in Google Earth, it looks to be about 1.2 miles from the Caribe Hilton. From the Hilton, it's about 2 miles to Old San Juan, about 2.75 total from the Hilton to El Moro. Translation: a cab ride, not a walk. Of note, I've since run across a post from someone (can't locate it now) stating that it was difficult to get a cab to agree to take them to the Pan Am pier due to traffic. (Others disagreed, saying they'd never run into that issue.)

I could believe it if the person wanted to go to the pier around 10:00 am. When we left the ship last month after our AOS cruise, traffic was terrible. The taxis were inching along. So a taxi driver wouldn't want to be caught in that. When we went to the pier to get on AOS, it was near noon and traffic was not bad.

Gerry

I could believe it if the person wanted to go to the pier around 10:00 am. When we left the ship last month after our AOS cruise, traffic was terrible. The taxis were inching along. So a taxi driver wouldn't want to be caught in that. When we went to the pier to get on AOS, it was near noon and traffic was not bad.

Gerry

We went to the pier at 10:30 AM the same day as Eliger and the traffic was no problem getting there for us.

Yet, leaving the pier the day we disembarked was a total nightmare. The road in and out was at a standstill and taxis could not go in or out. I could have walked to a hotel faster.

Now if we were going in to the pier to board the ship, that would have taken forever. We saw people, (not cabs) who were actually leaving passengers off and turning their cars around, leaving them to walk in with their luggage. (that road is not safe for walking either)

So it depends on what is happening the week you go. If there is more than one ship docked there, it will be very heavy traffic trying to get to the ships or leaving them and a total mess. There is only one lane in and out of that pier.. :eek: :rolleyes:

We went to the pier at 10:30 AM the same day as Eliger and the traffic was no problem getting there for us.

Yet, leaving the pier the day we disembarked was a total nightmare. The road in and out was at a standstill and taxis could not go in or out. I could have walked to a hotel faster.

Now if we were going in to the pier to board the ship, that would have taken forever. We saw people, (not cabs) who were actually leaving passengers off and turning their cars around, leaving them to walk in with their luggage. (that road is not safe for walking either)

So it depends on what is happening the week you go. If there is more than one ship docked there, it will be very heavy traffic trying to get to the ships or leaving them and a total mess. There is only one lane in and out of that pier.. :eek: :rolleyes:

You're right Alexis, when we got off there was a Princess ship there so we had to go through the traffic leaving the pier from that ship as well as ours. What a mess!

I see Alexis that you're doing the Mariner on the 19 of Sept. You had mentioned you were thinking of doing that cruise in the fall, but didn't think it would be that early. We were sort of thinking we would meet again on that ship, but we will only be getting off Jewell on the 18th. The Mariner is a possibility for later... we don't know yet. :)

Gerry

Hello ckrobyn !!

As you are a Happy AOS cruiser, I was wondering if you have ever stayed in #9622 D1 deck 9 ?

We are considering booking this stateroom for Oct 2010 - Med Cruise - to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary - but am wondering about any "noise" issues as it looks quite close to the lifts !!!

I would appreciate any advice you could give me !!!

Thank You !!!

Hi there :)

Yes, I am a HAPPY AOS cruiser - thanks for noticing ;)

Cabin 9622 is a D1 balcony in an excellent location (center hump) so yes, it is very close to the elevators. Don't worry about noise, the cabins are behind a wall so you won't even hear the elevators at all.

You picked a wonderful ship :D

Robyn -

Help...two questions:

1) What time is muster? Is it the same as other rccl ships - all of us line up on the plank :)?

2) What time are rooms available? We are thinking of boarding early, dropping our stuff off and then heading out to San Juan for some exploration? Is that doable?

Thanks,

Tina

I believe muster is around 5:30 and it is inside. No more life jackets. You sit and watch a movie about it. Boarding can begin around 11:30, cabins available around 1:20-2. You definiately have time to explore Old San Juan, we have done it several times from the Pan Am Pier. Ship doesn't sail until 8:30, if you can drop your bags by 2pm you have at least 3 hours in town - do it and enjoy

Robyn, I need a bit of reassurance. We are flying down on the 6th and sailing on the AOS on the 7th. Doing our first B2B. Our DD is flying down on the 14th to join us for the second week. We always fly down the day before but she is flying down the day of. She has a direct flight and arrives in SJ at 2:40pm. Ship sails at 8:30pm. We have arranged transportation to the ship through the cruiseline for her. Just hoping things go well.

Anna:)

Robyn, I need a bit of reassurance. We are flying down on the 6th and sailing on the AOS on the 7th. Doing our first B2B. Our DD is flying down on the 14th to join us for the second week. We always fly down the day before but she is flying down the day of. She has a direct flight and arrives in SJ at 2:40pm. Ship sails at 8:30pm. We have arranged transportation to the ship through the cruiseline for her. Just hoping things go well.

Anna - While I would always recommend flying into the port city the day before a cruise, I am going to tell you to relax this time. My folks have flown to SJU from Toronto every year since 2006 on the day of the cruise and have had no issues (they were also on the direct flight). The only thing you need to consider this time of year in Canada is the weather.....and with the extraordinarily mild winter we are having....it is unlikely weather will be an issue for you.

I got excited for a second when I saw you were cruising on the 7th! I am cruising on the 7th too - but in March!!! We are also doing a B2B :)

Relax and enjoy what is going to be your best cruise ever!!!!!!!:D

Kids fly in the day of the cruise.

How long and how much is the cab fare.

Also, which pier do they ask to be taken to? They're on the St. Lucia cruise.

I always go to a hotel, so this is a guess.

I would say the fare from the airport to the pier would run probably $25 maybe? The ride on a good day is about 20 - 25 minutes depending on traffic.

The Pier they go from is the Pan American Pier.

I believe muster is around 5:30 and it is inside. No more life jackets. You sit and watch a movie about it. Boarding can begin around 11:30, cabins available around 1:20-2. You definiately have time to explore Old San Juan, we have done it several times from the Pan Am Pier. Ship doesn't sail until 8:30, if you can drop your bags by 2pm you have at least 3 hours in town - do it and enjoy

On the AOS Muster is held outside, as it always was on all ships, unless of course your station happens to be inside. We saw no movies, only live staff with their instructions and roll call of cabin numbers. :D

I just sailed her for two weeks in December and we did the usual Muster drill as always. Only difference was NO more life jackets.

You're right Alexis, when we got off there was a Princess ship there so we had to go through the traffic leaving the pier from that ship as well as ours. What a mess!

I see Alexis that you're doing the Mariner on the 19 of Sept. You had mentioned you were thinking of doing that cruise in the fall, but didn't think it would be that early. We were sort of thinking we would meet again on that ship, but we will only be getting off Jewell on the 18th. The Mariner is a possibility for later... we don't know yet. :)

Gerry

We love the Mariner. This will be our 4th time on her. The first time doing her Mexican itinerary. Plus we are only doing one week and not two.

I would have liked meeting you again and actually seeing/talking to you more on the ship this time. :D

It was amazing how we all never saw each other the whole trip. :confused:

I will just have to "see" you on the boards and "talk" to you here. :D

Gerry

Yes, with that other ship there it was crazy on that pier. :eek:

We love the Mariner. This will be our 4th time on her. The first time doing her Mexican itinerary. Plus we are only doing one week and not two.

I would have liked meeting you again and actually seeing/talking to you more on the ship this time. :D

Robyn...Thank you for the quick reply. Because she is travelling down on her own, we didn't want her to stay at a hotel by herself. So same day it has to be. Her Uncle is taking her over to the airport so we know she will get there. Thanks again for reassuring me.

Pat, we did two weeks on AOS mainly because it was a different itinerary on the second week. I wouldn't consider two weeks on Mariner and doing exactly the same ports during the second week. What we would do is stay one week in Southern California, and one week on Mariner. :D

Gerry

On the AOS Muster is held outside, as it always was on all ships, unless of course your station happens to be inside. We saw no movies, only live staff with their instructions and roll call of cabin numbers. :D

I just sailed her for two weeks in December and we did the usual Muster drill as always. Only difference was NO more life jackets.

Alexis, as you know we did the B2B a week before you and this is exactly what we experienced. The first week we were in the lounge (no movie) the 2nd week we were out on deck. They did check off cabin numbers.

Alexis, as you know we did the B2B a week before you and this is exactly what we experienced. The first week we were in the lounge (no movie) the 2nd week we were out on deck. They did check off cabin numbers.

OK is there any rhyme or reason to those that get the lounge and those that don't? We are on Deck 10 starboard and my inlaws are on the same deck but port side. Mom can't stand for a real long time without her back hurting and the lounge would be perfect for them. I know Muster Drill isn't that long, but I'm just watching out for her and hoping to minimize any possible back problems.

Archived