For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

I didn't order a bottle of wine - although one was sent to me by Dee Dee and I was able to bring it to the dining room and enjoy it with dinner. I do know that they ran out of White Zinfandel and restocked in St.Thomas. Not sure if they ran out of any other wines? I believe the wine list has not yet changed on the AOS - the list looked the same.

While at the Stellaris, we had dinner at a Japanese restaurant connected to the hotel - I believe it was called "Blossom" and it was excellent. The chefs prepare you dinner at cooking tables right in front of you. Choice of steak, shrimp, chicken etc. Amazing food, but not cheap.

I have never heard of Ajili Mojili??? :confused:

Ajili Mojili is on Ashford Ave about a half a mile from the Marriott towards OSJ. I have never been, but it has gotten some bad reviews on the San Juan board. We hit the Parrot Club and loved it. I'm sure Ajili Mojili is fine, it's just there are so many great restaurants people get picky if they get a so-so meal.

Hi Robyn..

Any compass by any chance..:)

Yes, I managed to bring back a few ;)

If you send me an email, I can arrange to get them to you.....

I don't have the complete week as DH managed to toss them in the garbage before I had the chance to squirrel them away!

Welcome back CK Robyn!! Glad you had a great cruise! We are only 2 months out and starting to get really excited!!! :) Glad to hear about the new carpet in the cabins. We are in 1688 and looking forward to that huge aft balcony.

Thanks toonjie :D

You should be very excited about your upcoming AOS cruise - especially that fantastic aft balcony cabin!!!!

The carpets are fresh and new and look wonderful :)

I am going to upload my pictures to webshots within the next day or so, and then you can see the carpet for yourself!

Robyn....Thanks for trying to get in touch with Dee Dee. It probably won't do any good' date=' but at least she should be aware that many people don't like that policy and it is not followed throughout the whole fleet.

Where did you go on Palm Beach? And can you elaborate on that a bit? In December we went to De Palm Pier and it was fine.....just very crowded.....lots of water toy activity where we were sitting, so therefore not as relaxing as I would like. It was convenient to food and drink, though. Two chairs and umbrella.....$35. That's a little pricey.

We love the Sea Aquarium Beach in Curacao.....lots of nice areas there....Kon Tiki for one. We sat at the far end near the aquarium last time and it was very nice. Might like to try Playa Porta Mari this summer.[/quote']

I think we were probably in the same area of Palm Beach that you are referring to - there were lots of watersports, and a bar at the end of the pier. You're right, the beach can be crowded - but it didn't really bother us. We staked out "our space" and were fine with it. I agree with the cost of chairs and umbrellas - it is a bit pricey, but an umbrella is necessary on Palm Beach as the sun is blazing HOT!

When we stayed on Curacao for a week in 2004 we were at the Breezes Resort which is adjacent to the Sea Aquarium - to be honest, we were not impressed with the beaches on Curacao which is why it is not a "beach port" for us! I like soft, powdery sand and Curacao's beaches are comprised of crushed coral which makes walking without water shoes a real challenge!!!

Robyn, thanks for starting this thread. We have to change our Feb 09 cruise & are looking at going out of SJ on either the AOS or Serenade & was not sure because of the negative reviews posted. Might I ask why you have not gone on the Serenade since the itinerary is different?

How was it?????? We are going back & forth between these 2 cruises and can not decide as we have not been to any of the places

thanks for that info. will keep the tags on, I usually take them off on the way to the airport so they are not confused with the airline stuff.

QUESTION to those of youwho have gone out of SJ so much. Do you ever fly in the day of? What are the costs for transportation between airport and port? I would search for this info, but the search part has been down.

Thanks in advance

I loved both ships. Each has its own unique character. By way of background, I'm in my early forties and my wife is approaching her second 39th.

The Adventure and other Voyager Class ships seem to have a more energetic vibe to them in my opinion. The Adventure is a beautiful ship. We did the western caribbean route on her. The Promenade is always bustling, as it is the easiest wat to get from fore to aft. It is great for people watching and is pleasing to the eye. The coffee shops and bars give it a real social energy. The pool areas are bigger and a bit livelier. The ice shows are fun too. We enjoy that.

The Serenade is a much more relaxing and refined ship. Our last cruise was a lot of fun and very port intensive. The Serenade definitely keeps your focus outward toward the sea, and you have more of the feeling of being on a luxury liner. That fit what we were looking for on the cruise we took this January. I really like the layout of the Radiance Class ships. We never felt crowded on the Serenade. In fairness, we normally never really feel crowded on the Voyager Class either, except during parades and as the shows let out. We did not miss the promenade or the ice rink.

We are going back on a Voyager Class this May and the Serenade again next January

You really can't go wrong with either. They both have a lot to offer and are both good choices. The best part is that both are sailing out of Puerto Rico. That is by far our favorite port. We love to get in to San Juan a day early and hang out. Boarding has been a breeze on our cruises. Let us know which one you choose. You won't be disappointed either way.

Eric

This will be our first cruise since we obtained platinum status!!! Did I read there is a welcome back party for all repeaters and then another party for platinum/diamond members???

Yes, you read correctly!

There is a Welcome Back party for all C&A Members, and then another one strictly for Platinum/Diamond/Diamond + Members held on the 2nd formal night at 8:00pm. There is a string quartet at this party, with free drinks and very nice snacks :)

Hi Robyn,

I had posted on the 3/2 thread and asked Shar about you.

Very happy to hear you had a great time and eventually got back safe.

Did you happen to run into that bartender Mladin (big m)....heard he had moved from the Serenade to the AOS.

How was the Marriott..we are staying there 1 night precruise and can't wait...what type of room did you get....did you eat breakfast there or outside the resort?

Also, will you be able to post the compasses or can you email them.

Now for anyone on the Aruba route here are a couple of good links

www.dinearuba.com and www.arubarestaurants.com you can use these for restaurants and there is a happy hour link which shows you the places, times and if there is entertainment there. my fav so far is the Blu martini bar at the Rennaissance Resort which is within walking distance from the ship.

Thanks Robyn.

I don't have the complete week as DH managed to toss them in the garbage before I had the chance to squirrel them away!

I have them all if you are missing any Robyn. Let me know.

Robyn> is there wireless access in the cabins on AoS or just in certain public areas?

skier - we actually did not bring our laptop this year, but I do remember some folks talking about it, and I believe they said there was no wireless connections in the cabins on the AOS as of yet. I believe they have wireless in the cabins on the Freedom class ships.

I think there are at least 4-5 wireless public areas onboard that you can access.

Hope this helps?

Hi Robyn,

I had posted on the 3/2 thread and asked Shar about you.

Very happy to hear you had a great time and eventually got back safe.

Did you happen to run into that bartender Mladin (big m)....heard he had moved from the Serenade to the AOS.

How was the Marriott..we are staying there 1 night precruise and can't wait...what type of room did you get....did you eat breakfast there or outside the resort?

Also, will you be able to post the compasses or can you email them.

Now for anyone on the Aruba route here are a couple of good links

www.dinearuba.com and www.arubarestaurants.com you can use these for restaurants and there is a happy hour link which shows you the places, times and if there is entertainment there. my fav so far is the Blu martini bar at the Rennaissance Resort which is within walking distance from the ship.

Thanks Robyn.

Maggie - thanks for asking about me, and yes we finally made it back to Toronto safe and sound!

I ran into many bartenders, but do not remember Mladin? Maybe if you could tell me what bar he was at, I may remember seeing him? :rolleyes:

The Marriott is awesome - every single room has been completely renovated and they are large, beautifully decorated and wonderfully clean with comfy beds and flat panel TV's. We had an ocean view room in the Cabana (low rise) part of the building - last year we were in the tower and there is no difference at all in the rooms except the location.

We actually had a light breakfast right in the hotel lobby - there is a cafe that serves bagels, danishes, cereals, yogurts and of course coffee! I was ready to leave for the port at about 10:00am and didn't want to waste time having a big breakfast in a restaurant when I could be standing outside the ship waiting to board! I know....I'm an anxious type aren't I? :D

I have many pics of the Stellaris on webshots - search under ckrobyn101 and you will find my albums. I still have to upload last weeks pics - but there are plenty already on webshots for you to see!

We sailed the S.Carib on 24 Feb 08. Never even noticed the ethnic or racial makeup of the cruise......just had a wonderful time. icon9.gif The only thing they could improve on is people saving chaise lounges and walking away, only to come back in an hour and demand to know where their towel was. This was the main conversation heard on sailing dates all around the pool area. Otherwise the ship was great, food was great, entertainment innovative and ports were fantastic!!!

Hi Robyn, welcome back!:)

Good news about the new carpets.

Did you sailaway at 8:30 or 10:00pm?

What time did they begin disembarkation?

Were there any good comedians?

Thanks.

Hi Roe :)

We sailed at 8:30pm.

Disembarkation began in full force at around 8:30 a.m. There were people off the ship earlier if they had pre-booked tours in San Juan.

I didn't go and see any comedians - but my friend shar27 did, so maybe she will pop in here and give you the low down :D

Lots of questions about the Marriott so let me post some pics until Robyn gets her album up. We were there last May after the renovation and it is gorgeous, staff is first rate and the location is ideal. We are heading back in two months for a one day pre!

Here's the renovated rooms:

IMG_3237-1.jpg

Here's the view out the window overlooking the pool:

IMG_3242.jpg

A little wider view including the beach and ocean:

IMG_3243.jpg

OK, next ? Which piers do they go out of? Do either go out of Old San Juan, or do both go out of the other one. I was so disappointed when we wnet to SJ last on the Voyager & docked at the one waaaaaaaaay out there with nothing around. Our cab driver $ucked too. But the cab ride back was ok.

Thanks again everyone for your help. I want to be a San Juan supporter, too!!!

Both go out of the Pan American pier that has nothing around. Since I fly in more than a day ahead now, that doesn't bother me. I get on the ship and stay. :D The only RCI ships that dock at Old San Juan are the ones that make a port stop.

Jen

I have them all if you are missing any Robyn. Let me know.

Shar, can you scan them? If so, could you e-mail me? Address is J underscore Ebel at msn dot com. I've spelled it out to reduce spam.

THANKS!

Jen

Welcome back Robyn. If you wouldn't mind, can you also forward me copies of the compasses. My email is chin_melissa32@hotmail.com.

Thanks!

Robyn

Did AoS offer the "anytime dining" concept during your B2B?

Just wondering.....I'll stick to traditional myself!!

Dan

Dan - I wish they did, and I asked the Head Waiter about it. We had early seating which we prefer over late, but my real preference is to have dinner at 7pm which is not an option on the AOS unless you are eating in the Windjammer or Portofino!

Apparently there are no immediate plans to implement anytime dining onboard the AOS.

Archived