Mandoo tours

wheals

All the time I see people organising exactly and precisely what they're going to do in each port of call.

-down to the Nth. degree...they think! :cool:

And then they discover that things run in these islands

on a whole different schedule and value-system

to what they're accustomed to, in The Great Frozen North..

Surprise surprise.

Welcome to the real world outside of Your World! :D

Ship happens in many of the islands...not just this one.

It's so easy to just get a cab at the pier, tell the man where you want to go

(you've already done your research here on Cruisecritic)

- and go!

The Perfect Day Tour is sometimes/often? elusive and non-existant

• 1 month later...

I didn't think Mandoo's tour was all that great when I took it from the Emerald Princess in April 09. We never got a taste of any local food, the only drinks offered for free was a small Dixie cup of rum punch or water. Our restroom stop was basically once all day long.

What I enjoyed the most was seeing Mandoo himself talk about the spices at the spice plantation--and I thought that part of our trip was nice. I thought there would be more chances to buy spices on this trip though and there was not.

We were supposed to go to a beach, but we didn't and we did a lot of driving around--I think because a road was out or closed. The communication in our van was poor. So, we missed the beach and never got an apology about it. It was way too much driving & the people on our van started to complain because of it. I never felt we would miss the ship, but it became an unpleasant experience. Because of this, I can't recommend his tour. We had a much better expereince on an island tour with a local operator in St. Lucia.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for information from anyone that has taken Mandoo's Spice Plantation tour. Where the stops interesting, enough time at each stop, do you get to see enough of the island, too much time on bus? All feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you

Debr

I'm looking for information from anyone that has taken Mandoo's Spice Plantation tour. Where the stops interesting, enough time at each stop, do you get to see enough of the island, too much time on bus? All feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you

Debr

We loved the Spice Plantation tour we took earlier this month with Mandoo. We had plenty of time to see everything and our driver stopped whenever we wanted to take pictures. We had a rainy day, but still had such amazing scenery. The time on the bus got a bit long near the end, but I'm not sure what I would have wanted to miss to make the ride any shorter!:rolleyes:

Here are my pictures of the day:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/572218248XDLSez

I can only speak from our experience. I organized a CC group for the Spice Plantation Route earlier this month. We were two buses and our bus was not driven by Mandoo himself. However, our driver/guide was excellent. He stopped anywhere we wanted to stop for photos. He was very knowlegable and a constant source of information. Despite a rainy day, we had a great time. We all felt as if the drive was a bit long by the end (a half hour less would be perfect) but I don't know what we would have wanted to miss to achieve that. Grenada is a gorgeous island. The Spice Plantation was interesting. the variety of trees growing among each other was amazing.

Mandoo was always prompt in replying to my e-mails and was exactly where he said he would be and on time.

Here are the pictures from our tour:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/572218248XDLSez

In making a reservation, do you have to provide a credit number in advance? I saw some kind of reservation form on his website which asked for a credit card number.

Will he provide some beach time at the end of the tour before he takes you to the ship?

In making a reservation, do you have to provide a credit number in advance? I saw some kind of reservation form on his website which asked for a credit card number.

Will he provide some beach time at the end of the tour before he takes you to the ship?

He took my cc number in case we did not show up without notifying him. We paid him cash at the end of the tour. We had no problems.

We had a full day without the beach, but our ship was only in port from noon to 7PM. I would think it would depend on how much time you have in port. I don't know how far the beach is from the ship.

My DH and I read about Mandoo Tours on CC and since I'm the "travel agent" of the family I booked the Spice Plantation Tour. It was by far the most interesting tour we took on our 2005 Celebrity Constellation cruise. Mandoo was very informative at every stop. We did go to a beach at the end of the tour - don't remember the name, but it wasn't one of the tourist beaches. We stopped at someone's home, where they fix/sell lunch for you. It was authentic Grenadian food and it was delicious. I swear it was like they cooked the food in their personal kitchen and then brought it out to us. Mandoo was waiting for us at the dock and we got back with time to shop at the dock (maybe 45 minutes or so). Next time I get a chance to go to Grenada, I will definitely book another excursion with Mandoo.

About a year after our cruise, I had a question about the recipe Mandoo had given us for hot chocolate. I emailed him and he responded right away and said he remembered me - not sure if that is true, but it was still nice!

I am afraid I agree with vegaboy. We did the Mandoo Spice Tour (April) and it was our least favorite tour on our trip. There was nothing special about this tour. Just the same as any Princess spice tour in Grenada. 40 or so of us were split into 4 buses. We didn’t get Mandoo as a driver or a guide (except his talk at the plantation about spices), We were supposed go to Grand Etang Lake and a beach but “ran out of time” according to our driver but he never really communicated this to us. We just ended up doing a lot of driving and stopping at a tourist shop, an old spice plantation and Annandale falls. Best part of the day was when we got dropped off at the port and my DH and I walked up to Fort Fredrick to see great views of Grenada. We had a good day, I just can’t relate to all the rave reviews of Mandoo Tours . It was also not exactly as advertised – no Mandoo, no cxomplimentary “drinks” (a glass of fruit juice was served at tourist shop), and we didn’t get to go the places which were advertised.

• 1 month later...

St. Georges, Grenada

We arranged for a 4-hour half-day half day "Spice Plantation Route" tour with Mandoo Tours at $45 per person, plus tips. It ran from 8am to noon plus beach time. The spice plantation route is going to give you a great feel of the island. We visited the Douglaston Spice Depot where we saw a presentation on many of Grenada's spices, and where fresh quality spices were available for purchase. We drove through the lush volcanic mountains to where multiple spice plants, cocoa and bananas plantations were pointed out to us. Great photo shots. We visited Grand Etang Crater Lake where we saw our first Mona monkey. We drove through the rain forest and made a stop at Annandale Waterfall. At the end of the tour we were given time at the beach and then returned to the ship. We had lunch on the ship and then walked to Fort George, very close to the ship. We exited the pier terminal and turned right. There is a stairwell to the right of a tunnel. Just keep climbing until you get to the top. It's about a 15 minute walk up stone stairs and ramps. This might have been an awesome fort at one time. It has fallen into disrepair and is being used for multiple other purposes. Really too bad. However Fort George will give you lots of photo opportunities from its elevated point. Recommended!

Here are more of our Secrets of the Caribbean!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

These are our very detailed personal reviews, hints, and tips for ports of call that you will be visiting.

• 1 month later...
Had trouble corresponding with Mandoo too ...AND I had a group of

about 45 people..gave up and booked with A&E and had a great experience.

What tour did you do with AE? My husband and I will be in Grenada in March and are looking for recommendations.

I am afraid I agree with vegaboy. We did the Mandoo Spice Tour (April) and it was our least favorite tour on our trip. There was nothing special about this tour. Just the same as any Princess spice tour in Grenada. 40 or so of us were split into 4 buses. We didn’t get Mandoo as a driver or a guide (except his talk at the plantation about spices), We were supposed go to Grand Etang Lake and a beach but “ran out of time” according to our driver but he never really communicated this to us. We just ended up doing a lot of driving and stopping at a tourist shop, an old spice plantation and Annandale falls. Best part of the day was when we got dropped off at the port and my DH and I walked up to Fort Fredrick to see great views of Grenada. We had a good day, I just can’t relate to all the rave reviews of Mandoo Tours . It was also not exactly as advertised – no Mandoo, no cxomplimentary “drinks” (a glass of fruit juice was served at tourist shop), and we didn’t get to go the places which were advertised.

DITTO we went with a group were split into 3 vans it was a long day mostly spent in the van driving a bit to fast on roads they had a lot of curves. We had heard he was the best and felt it was just OK.

Sometimes the island's communication does not play nicely. I know he's also very busy but I would suggest give him a quick call on t:1 473 440 1428 and let him know his emails are not being answered. He's a lovely chap and will work hard to find out what the problem is.

• 1 month later...

Yes, that's the one. Details, well, we went to the Spice Depot and Mandoo had examples of all the spices in their original form and told you how each was processed. Very interesting. Drove all over the island. Everyone knows him. Saw crater lake, waterfall, rain forest. Were with him for 5 hours and I don't think he stopped talking once!!!!!

Yes, that's the one. Details, well, we went to the Spice Depot and Mandoo had examples of all the spices in their original form and told you how each was processed. Very interesting. Drove all over the island. Everyone knows him. Saw crater lake, waterfall, rain forest. Were with him for 5 hours and I don't think he stopped talking once!!!!!

Cindy,

Thank you for the info. Did you have time at each stop to walk around and take pictures at the waterfall, rain forest, etc. and enough time to purchase spices? Were the vans comfortable and not over crowed? Does he supply any beverages? What about potty breaks?

Debr

We returned after completing out second tour with Mandoo. The second tour was just as enjoyable as our first. We went to Concord falls, Dougaldston spice estate, a nutmeg station, lake Antonine, a distillery and a sit down lunch of split pea soup, salad, rice mixed vegetables, barbecue chicken, blackened Maui Maui, fried plantains and strawberry ice cream. Yum Yum!The view was beautiful from the restaurant.We had plenty of opportunities to use the restroom.We toured on Sunday and the ship tours did not go to Dougaldston spice estate. Mandoo had it opened so we could go on Sunday.

Mandoo is a great humanitarian and loves to share his island with you. His bus was comfortable and it was easy to hear him talking while driving. There was 12 on the day we went. We did a all day tour. He is very aware of what time the ship leaves and gets you back in plenty of time.

Go and Enjoy!

We returned after completing out second tour with Mandoo. The second tour was just as enjoyable as our first. We went to Concord falls, Dougaldston spice estate, a nutmeg station, lake Antonine, a distillery and a sit down lunch of split pea soup, salad, rice mixed vegetables, barbecue chicken, blackened Maui Maui, fried plantains and strawberry ice cream. Yum Yum!The view was beautiful from the restaurant.We had plenty of opportunities to use the restroom.We toured on Sunday and the ship tours did not go to Dougaldston spice estate. Mandoo had it opened so we could go on Sunday.

Mandoo is a great humanitarian and loves to share his island with you. His bus was comfortable and it was easy to hear him talking while driving. There was 12 on the day we went. We did a all day tour. He is very aware of what time the ship leaves and gets you back in plenty of time.

Go and Enjoy!

Thanks for the info, we are looking forward to our tour in January:)

Debr

We just did Mandoo's Tour this past week. It was really good and very infomative. I did want to point something out though. Really should have mentioned it to Mandoo too. When I was emailing him for info he gave me a pickup time of 8:00 AM. Then after a couple of more questions he confirmed it for 8:30. We went ahead and went down at quarter till 8 just to be on the safe side. He was there at 7:50. Another lady on on the bus told me their confirmation said 8:30 also so her husband had ran something he had bought back to the ship. Thank goodness she had stayed there or they would have missed the tour. We had to wait for her husband to get back till 8:10. I noticed there were 4 sets of people suppose to go on this tour on his list of names but when we left there were only 3 sets. I am wondering if this fourth set missed it because they thought they had till 8:30. I never thought much about it until after we got back. The reason I am bringing this up is to make sure you double check with him on the time. He really does a great job and seems like responsible man. I don't think he would intentionally have done this. I noticed in a post way back someone had mentioned that he left earlier and that makes me wonder if that is what happened. HIs tour is well worth the cost and he is a very nice man. He even emailed us when we got back home and told us he appreciated our business and mentioned my mother-in-law. I would definetly recommend him just double check on the time. Really should be checking on the time on any tour you take. The fort was neat too but was wore me out by the time I got to the top.:)

We just did Mandoo's Tour this past week. It was really good and very infomative. I did want to point something out though. Really should have mentioned it to Mandoo too. When I was emailing him for info he gave me a pickup time of 8:00 AM. Then after a couple of more questions he confirmed it for 8:30. We went ahead and went down at quarter till 8 just to be on the safe side. He was there at 7:50. Another lady on on the bus told me their confirmation said 8:30 also so her husband had ran something he had bought back to the ship. Thank goodness she had stayed there or they would have missed the tour. We had to wait for her husband to get back till 8:10. I noticed there were 4 sets of people suppose to go on this tour on his list of names but when we left there were only 3 sets. I am wondering if this fourth set missed it because they thought they had till 8:30. I never thought much about it until after we got back. The reason I am bringing this up is to make sure you double check with him on the time. He really does a great job and seems like responsible man. I don't think he would intentionally have done this. I noticed in a post way back someone had mentioned that he left earlier and that makes me wonder if that is what happened. HIs tour is well worth the cost and he is a very nice man. He even emailed us when we got back home and told us he appreciated our business and mentioned my mother-in-law. I would definetly recommend him just double check on the time. Really should be checking on the time on any tour you take. The fort was neat too but was wore me out by the time I got to the top.:)

Thank you for the info on the time issue. We have already run into that, he told me one time and another person in our party a different time! I will confirm with him about a week before we depart for the "real" time, and then be early:)

Debr

Thank you for the info on the time issue. We have already run into that, he told me one time and another person in our party a different time! I will confirm with him about a week before we depart for the "real" time, and then be early:)

Debr

That is a great idea. Hope you have a wonderful time.:)

Archived