Southwest Airlines changes Checked Baggage policy

Hypo

Southwest has always allowed 3 checked bags per passenger.

Effective Jan 29,2008 they will only allow 2 per passenger. Quoting from their website:

"Baggage Allowance: For each ticketed Customer, Southwest currently allows three (3) checked pieces with size and weight limitations for each individual piece. Beginning January 29, 2008, Southwest will allow two (2) checked pieces of baggage per ticketed Customer. Size and weight limitations apply.

Excess Baggage: Currently, excess baggage will be charged at the rate of $50 each for the fourth (4th) through twelfth (12th) bag or item, and $110 for each piece checked thereafter. Effective January 29, 2008, you may check a third bag for a charge of $25. Your 4th through 9th bag or item will incur a charge of $50 per piece, and any bag or item thereafter will be $110 per piece. Weight and Size Allowance: Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per checked piece of luggage. Effective March 1, 2005, overweight items from 51 to 70 pounds will be accepted for a charge of $25.00 per item. Items weighing from 71 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches (i.e., surfboards, bicycles, vaulting poles) will be accepted for a charge of $50.00 per item. "

Hypo

This is good news because now they will only lose two of your bags instead of three. Last year on a R/T from Burbank to Portland they lost our baggage on both trips. We did get them back but it was extremely inconvenient.

You should all count yourself lucky over there:D .

We just recently flew from UK to Italy with an allowance of ONE bag per person which could not weigh more than 15KGS ( 33lbs ) and we had to pay to have it checked in, NO CHOICE IN THE MATTER. and we were packing for a 13 night cruise.

When we fly Delta in April we will be so spoilt!:) :p ;)

This is good news because now they will only lose two of your bags instead of three. Last year on a R/T from Burbank to Portland they lost our baggage on both trips. We did get them back but it was extremely inconvenient.

My experience has been the exact opposite: I fly Southwest whenever I can, and they're about the only airline that hasn't ever lost my bags!

Really?? Yikes. This is news to me. Which lines don't have a free baggage allowance' date=' for future reference?[/font']

Spirit for one. They allow 2 bags at $5.00 each purchased ahead of time or $10 at counter. $100 for third bag.

BUT their discount prices are great!!

Spirit for one. They allow 2 bags at $5.00 each purchased ahead of time or $10 at counter. $100 for third bag.

I think a nominal fee like that is a great idea. You're only paying a few $$ each for the first couple bags, and if you don't need to check bags, you don't have to pay. I didn't realize SW still allowed 3 bags, though. Most airlines went to a limit of two checked bags years ago.

Ah...okay, I get it. I was thinking more in terms of the $50 range charges that you get from most airlines for excess baggage.

I agree, that's not a bad system, especially for overnight business travelers. And if the fares are good enough, I'd be happy to spring for an extra $10. Of course, Spirit doesn't serve SLC, so it's a bit of a moot point anyway. ;)

Archived