An accessibility issue with Eurodam

Oceanwench

I will preface that I am speaking as an able-bodied person, with no offense intended. Not to be overly simplistic, but does your husband have a 'maximum bed profile height' he can safely and comfortably handle? If so, can you supply that measurement to HAL Seattle, have your reservation duly annotated, and then just follow-up with hotel manager upon boarding?

I wouldn't ditch a booking in advance, without allowing on-ship staff to come up with some amenable working arrangement / contingency onboard if your instructions weren't met in advance (even if that means a carpenter saws the legs off your bed! LOL)

It may seem to be a gamble in advance, but given the ship hasn't launched yet, it will likely roll out to contingency management in the end anyway. I would just get the request in writing annotated to you reservation (just like the simple instruction of do you want your room set up with the beds together or apart)

Scott.

I will preface that I am speaking as an able-bodied person, with no offense intended. Not to be overly simplistic, but does your husband have a 'maximum bed profile height' he can safely and comfortably handle? If so, can you supply that measurement to HAL Seattle, have your reservation duly annotated, and then just follow-up with hotel manager upon boarding?

I wouldn't ditch a booking in advance, without allowing on-ship staff to come up with some amenable working arrangement / contingency onboard if your instructions weren't met in advance (even if that means a carpenter saws the legs off your bed! LOL)

It may seem to be a gamble in advance, but given the ship hasn't launched yet, it will likely roll out to contingency management in the end anyway. I would just get the request in writing annotated to you reservation (just like the simple instruction of do you want your room set up with the beds together or apart)

Scott.

He has been in touch with ship's services and they're aware of the numbers.

It's just a standard bed height - the kind you'd find in hotel rooms, etc.

The kind we had on HAL pre-SOE.

It's the "special" bedding that has done us in! :(

This is not something that can be "followed up on" when boarding.

It needs to be in place ahead of time, confirmed and reconfirmed.

Because DH can't *not* have a bed to sleep in!

Oceanwench, any possibility that HAL could supply a staff person to help transfer your DH when he is ready to get into bed? It would seem the transfer from bed to chair would be less of an issue than chair to bed.

I may be misunderstanding your DH's mobility issues but I do understand your concerns. My DH was in a wheelchair for six months following a serious accident and had many mobility issues during that time. Our motto was 'where there's a will there's a way'. Keep on trying but have a fall-back plan.

I can understand your displeasure about the information you've received from HAL. Why don't you get in touch with customer service. The Eurodam is a brand new ship, as you know, and maybe the people in the home office aren't up to snuff about the things on board this vessel. We're going on Eurodam in December and I've asked if wheelchairs are available on board. My wife had knee replacement surgery recently and a wheelchair would really be helpful.

My TA told me that there are NOT any wheelchairs available for use on board, but they are available for embarkation and disembarkation. I'm going to wait until after July when Eurodam makes her first voyages and then I'll contact customer service. Maybe by that time I will be able to get the real scoop. :rolleyes:

This is basic HAL policy. Wheelchairs are available for embark and disembark, and they keep a small number onboard for folks that have something HAPPEN TO THEM ONBOARD like a broken foot or something...

If you need a chair, scooter, walker, etc you need to either buy one yourself, rent one through an outfit local to you, or go through carevacations, who is authorized to rent equipment and deliver right onboard HAL ships. It's in your room ready and charging (if applicable) for you and you just leave it in your room at the end of the cruise.

We used them in Spetember with my mom on the Oosterdam, and it worked out GREAT!!

Don't think it's a matter of misinformation on a new ship... this is HAL policy.

They shouldn't be just keeping some of the thinner mattresses onboard for this type of problem ... the handicapped cabins should already be equipped with these thinner mattresses. Most handicapped cabins are occupied by wheelchair-confined folks. Obviously those folks have to get in and out of bed. Why on earth would HAL have thick mattresses on the beds in handicapped cabins to begin with? Obviously someone in Seattle wasn't thinking.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Consider this though,

Have the rooms that are HC equipped with thin and/or lower mattresses... Depending on what people's specific needs are, they could end up bent out of shape about "not having the exact same thing that everyone else has on the ship" and in most places, that can be claimed as discrimination.

It's really something I see as a "damned if you do, damned it you don't" and HAL's doing the best it can.

To the OP, I hope everything works out for you. Is it possible to maybe rent a different STYLE of chair for these cruises where maybe the HEIGHT of the seat can be adjusted?

Aren't guarantees cheaper? At least that's what my travel agent told me. So, then ... if you are booking a guarantee, you have to expect that it is entirely possible that you could wind up in a handicapped cabin. Those cabins are set up to accommodate handicapped folks. So, if you happen to be unlucky enough to draw one of these cabins, you can't complain too loudly that your bed doesn't have the thick mattress. If that's a real problem to someone, then maybe they should just part with the extra money and book a set cabin. The handicapped accessible cabins should be set up with the handicapped passenger's needs in mind, and if an ablebodied passenger happens to draw that cabin with their guarantee, too bad. They have to live with it ... just like they will have to live with no tub, only a roll-in shower, if they draw an outside handicapped cabin.

Blue skies ...

--rita

HAL prices are based on category, not assignment vs. guarantee.

WHat your agent does though to build/keep clientele could vary though.

Likewise, I've heard of agencies that say HAL charges MORE for HC rooms which is both a lie and quite frankly sickening.

You pay for the category, not what it is/has/is equipped to do.

Oceanwench, I'm so sorry that HAL's stupidity will prevent you from sampling Eurodam while she's new. And while "stupidity" may seem harsh, I can't find another word that covers it.

How else to describe an "accessible" cabin that isn't?

It's obvious you and your husband have done everything possible to get a commitment from head office. It's equally obvious one isn't going to be forthcoming. You seem too pleasant, patient and nice to take your problem to the press. Besides, while that might give HAL a black eye, it wouldn't get an acceptable bed for your husband.

If they can't/won't change the mattress, someone is going to have to design a folding or portable ramp/platform that fits space available and enables transfers.

I know Seattle has someone whose job description includes reading these boards to report to the suits. To that person: "TELL THEM THEY SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES!"

To everyone else - I apologize for shouting, and my irascibility this morning.

Oceanwench, I'm so sorry that HAL's stupidity will prevent you from sampling Eurodam while she's new. And while "stupidity" may seem harsh, I can't find another word that covers it.

It's obvious you and your husband have done everything possible to get a commitment from head office. It's equally obvious one isn't going to be forthcoming. You seem too pleasant, patient and nice to take your problem to the press. Besides, while that might give HAL a black eye, it wouldn't get an acceptable bed for your husband.

If they can't/won't change the mattress, someone is going to have to design a folding or portable ramp/platform that fits space available and enables transfers.

I know Seattle has someone whose job description includes reading these boards to report to the suits. To that person: "TELL THEM THEY SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES!"

excellent! I couldn't have put it better myself. :) HAL's actions (or lack thereof) in this area just seem beyond the bounds of belief in the 21st century....

Oceanwench, any possibility that HAL could supply a staff person to help transfer your DH when he is ready to get into bed? It would seem the transfer from bed to chair would be less of an issue than chair to bed.

Thanks for the suggestion, but this would not work for a number of reasons.

The main reason is - it's not into the bed at 10 p.m. and out at 8 a.m.

How to put this delicately? He needs to be able to get out of bed to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Also, during the day he naps if he is tired. He has MS and fatigue is just one of the things he has to deal with.

It's hard to explain the logistics of his getting into bed -- but a staff person [or myself] could not really assist him if he has to get into a pillowtop bed. Just not possible.

I think if you've not dealt with someone with very little use of their legs and/or arms, you just don't realize the difficulties.

As far as bed to chair - still a problem. Because with the high bed, his feet would dangle. He can't "hop" down onto the floor and into his chair.

What people with his type of disability need is a transfer from similar heights, so there is more of a sliding from one place to the other.

I really appreciate all the input - so many wonderful people on CC!!!

We are still working this through the channels, so the Eurodam cruise may become a reality!

To the OP, I hope everything works out for you. Is it possible to maybe rent a different STYLE of chair for these cruises where maybe the HEIGHT of the seat can be adjusted?

DH has a brand-new top-of-the-line power chair.

I don't think anything he could rent would be of the same caliber.

I think chairs are pretty much standard when it comes to height, and there is very little in the way of adjusting.

After all, he has to fit his legs under the dining room table! :)

Thanks for your wishes and suggestion!

I certainly sympathize with the OP's problem. My brother also requires a HA. He is in a power chair, but can take a few steps.

Consider this though,

Have the rooms that are HC equipped with thin and/or lower mattresses... Depending on what people's specific needs are, they could end up bent out of shape about "not having the exact same thing that everyone else has on the ship" and in most places, that can be claimed as discrimination.

It's really something I see as a "damned if you do, damned it you don't" and HAL's doing the best it can.

It isn't a matter of being "bent out of shape". Sadly, HA needs aren't 'one size fits all'. In my brother's situation his power chair is higher than a standard wheelchair. Being up higher means that his legs don't have to lift him up as much when he stands. Just as the OP's DH can *not* use the higher bed, my DB can *not* use a lower bed.

IMHO, HAL is trying. It will take passengers like the OP to point out areas that they need to find solutions (like having some thinner mattresses onboard). Hopefully HAL will do so.

I see absolutely NO reason for the "suits" to be ashamed of themselves. As I said above, HA needs are NOT 'one size fits all'. I don't see "stupidity" AT ALL. The HA cabins ARE accessible - for some (I won't hazard a guess as to what percentage of the HA needs passengers). In addition to my DB, they would have also fit the needs of my late step-mom after her stroke. HAL just needs to work on finding ways to make the HA cabins adaptable to more needs. There is still time to do so. I see this as more a case of ignorance or lack of thinking the situation through. Certainly not "stupidity". While I have no idea how long the OP and her DH have been trying to work with HAL on this issue, this was only posted 2 days ago, no need to give up civility - yet.

Archived