Thought you were on the Maiden Ventura Cruise? Oh no your not

mcharnley

It's the same for every ship!

I know that, but it has been inferred that this extra 2 night cruise was in place of the friends, relatives and TA's.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Hi! Kate I am Not from the Travel Industry, but do have contacts therein, & as you may have read in my earlier posts on this thread I have done 2 or 3 of these 'jolly's'. What is interesting is, you had not heard of payments for these, whereas all mine were paid for & as I recall I think they ranged from about £150 -£280. There have been other opportunities that I've turned down in the past (all chargeable), but to be honest they are barely worth the trouble of packing/unpacking. Last one was Norwegian Sun, but after 55 cruises the others have faded into oblivion. Regards

I have not heard of P&O doing this before. I know they do occassional friends and families, usually after refits, but not paying cruises.

Kate

I have not heard of P&O doing this before. I know they do occassional friends and families, usually after refits, but not paying cruises.

Kate

Hi! No I've not heard of P&O doing it either, but surely they are only following industry trends. It just seems a lot of fuss over nothing to me. Regards

Well I can certainly see where the posters who have booked a maiden are coming from in their criticism and for some people they purposely book a maiden for that reason and they have techincally been misold their cruise.

I don't think anyone is questioning that they have trial runs with the great and good and families, but not an advertised, (even if through travel agents), cruise for the public and that is the gripe here on this thread.

Personally I wouldn't like to do a maiden, too much of staff finding their feet and too many things to go wrong, which is why we book a couple of cruises in on a new ship. But for some people this is exactly what they want and one family I know, the hope that something may go wrong and they get a discounted, or even 'free cruise'. However, for most I know this is not the case, they like being at an 'event' of the ship and I believe it is a bit special on board.

Of course the Company are, as Wilba says following industry trends, which is something that P&O that sleepy little English company they used to be, have been woken up to, but that is not to say that they are treating existing customers well - They are not valuing the existing ones in pursuit of new ones and commercially probably quite right.

However, more and more will jump ship, just as we are doing, this will be our last P&O with the dropping standards. We may try Cunard (still P&O family), although are in the midst of sussing out Silverseas for the end of the summer.

Will P&O care - no I don't think so for one minute. They want new blood, not experienced cruisers who know all the tricks and therefore all the moneysavers and are quick to complain if things aren't to their liking.

A sign of the times and I think a little bit sad too. But hey ho, life goes on and I have no doubt it will be a lovely cruise for those who have it booked. It is just the principle that doesn't 'sit well' with many and I understand that completely.

Kate

Think the fact the cruise no for the Maiden 802 ?? gives the game away I would guess they hoped for a 801 but as they were not sure at the time of printing the brochure she would be ready on time they have hedged their bets and not laid on a 801 cruise... not wanting a repeat of Aurora's maiden cruise, which after she returned everyone said she was doomed ... but that was not the case...

Looking at the dock shedule for Gurnsey I see Ventura is due there on th 9th so that must be the shake down cruise...

They could have had a weekender with the ship full of Carnival staff from the US and travel agents etc on a junket after the shake down cruise...

Would those have booked be bothered ?? would they have known about it? is it because the weekender is a paid for cruise not a junket they are all so bothered about it.

When Aurora sailed she had 4 maiden cruises.... the first returned.... the second which my friend was on turned out to be the first Maiden.

they named the first four Maiden.... what ever..

Looking in the brochure at the cabin prices for the Maiden it would seem the cruise is just a bit cheaper than the following cruise. Now I cant see what compensation everyone can be chasing, if they had paid

EXTRA for the privilege of sailing on the MAIDEN cruise etc then I could see that would be annoying. But as everyone seems to have paid a fair price for a lovely cruise, which it will be ... with a big send off, TV press coverage... band etc and no doubt a gift to mark the occasion which will then appear on eBay!!! and lots of other on board specials... T shirts etc

I still cant see what is so very wrong....

In October there is a Ventura Cruise called Indian Summer, not going to India or in summer, and yes I know what the expression means how ever with title you can take it either way. just like Maiden Cruise.

It is just a 'name' like all the other cruise names...

thats all....

to all those on the Maiden you will have a lovely time and those on the weekender again have a lovely time.

:)

Kate

Hi Kate. I should have made it clear that, none of the 'paid' pre inaugrals I did were P&O, but this is what I find the most bemusing. Why do the majority find it acceptable that it's OK for other companies to do this, but when it comes to P&O.............? I'm confused!

Think the fact the cruise no for the Maiden 802 ?? gives the game away

I'm not so sure. QE2's first departure this calendar year was her world cruise. Numbered 802. There are no issues with maiden cruises with her, of course.

Matthew

Personally I wouldn't have an issue with it if I was booked on the maiden voyage from a P&O point of view it makes perfect sense to have a shake down cruise. I would feel quit happy about the idea some other souls are acting as testers

Anyway I'm sure they won't make a big thing of the departure for the weekend that they will on the first real Maiden voyage the excitment will remain the same I'm sure

Is the weekender immediately before people could always try and join early if it bothers them and then stay on board?

• 2 weeks later...
I see the Maiden voyage is less than a sell out at the moment. There is an offer out now, can't say where but it was emailed to us by **t *** ********

An I still cannot go:mad::mad::mad:

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

Archived