Thought you were on the Maiden Ventura Cruise? Oh no your not

mcharnley

In reply to those people who think I and other "maiden voyage" cruisers do not have a valid complaint and presume this is just about money - they are missing the point. It is all about deception. It IS important to the people who took the time to book on that first day the maiden cruise was on sale that they did book a "maiden" cruise.Of people who seem to think we are making a mountain out of a molehill, I wonder how many have actually booked on this maiden cruise? and I am sure the 3000 passengers on the two day cruise, do not consider that they will be on a ferry trip.

In reply to those people who think I and other "maiden voyage" cruisers do not have a valid complaint and presume this is just about money - they are missing the point. It is all about deception. It IS important to the people who took the time to book on that first day the maiden cruise was on sale that they did book a "maiden" cruise.Of people who seem to think we are making a mountain out of a molehill, I wonder how many have actually booked on this maiden cruise? and I am sure the 3000 passengers on the two day cruise, do not consider that they will be on a ferry trip.

If you had kept your eyes open to the rest of the cruising world you would be aware of what is common practice these days. As I said in my opening statement to you ‘You’ve had your head in a P&O brochure too long’. If your only concern in life is to be the first to pee in the pan on a new ship, you would have NOT booked the Maiden, but held back to book the Shakedown. Every cruise line these days does this providing it comes out of the shipyard on or ahead of time, but having said that, pay the £189 , do both trips, & stop whining.

From the tone of your email it would seem you were not able to get on the maiden voyage. As for the comment about my lack of experience of the rest of the cruising world, I have been cruising from the early days of the Canberra, travelled with Cunard, Raddisson, Premier, Silver Seas, RCL to name a few. Are you suggesting that I should not have booked a maiden cruise just in case the shorter version becomes available. It was difficult enough to book the original cruise (it sold out in one day) so why should anyone be expected to join a bun fight again for something they thought they had already purchased? Also not all cruise lines operate a shake down ie the Arcadia recently ( perhaps you need to check your facts before commiting to script) Once again you have missed the point by crassly discussing bathroom facilities. The state of the bathroom porcelain is the least of my concerns, but again I point out that I have been mislead by the P & O advertising as have many other passengers, and it is this that has offended most.

Is it normal or not to have a 2-day shake-down cruise?

Some say yes and some point out that P&O and Cunard have not done so before.

What I can say is this:

I got an email from my TA yesterday afternoon. This offer from P&O came from deep field and they had had no warning whatever. They have, as expected, been totally swamped with pre-registration enquiries to such an extent that they have pulled all their advertising and asked those who pre-registered to re-register again.

I would guess that some early registrants may miss this. We have re-registered and 'paid' our deposit. We now await the results of the Monday morning bun fight.

All I can say is that I had never planned to sail on the Ventura in the next year if ever. Now I can experience a taster and may book in the future. Unfortunately for all you Maidens out there, you are all ready hooked.

Must admit, having sailed on Arcadia we would not jump at the chance again unless the offer was exceptional (it was last time with £330 obc).

It was difficult enough to book the original cruise (it sold out in one day) so why should anyone be expected to join a bun fight again for something they thought they had already purchased?
No reason. They still have what they had already purchased - a cruise on a ship that's already carried quite a large number of passengers, even though it's been given a description of "maiden voyage".

From the tone of your email it would seem you were not able to get on the maiden voyage. As for the comment about my lack of experience of the rest of the cruising world, I have been cruising from the early days of the Canberra, travelled with Cunard, Raddisson, Premier, Silver Seas, RCL to name a few. Are you suggesting that I should not have booked a maiden cruise just in case the shorter version becomes available. It was difficult enough to book the original cruise (it sold out in one day) so why should anyone be expected to join a bun fight again for something they thought they had already purchased? Also not all cruise lines operate a shake down ie the Arcadia recently ( perhaps you need to check your facts before commiting to script) Once again you have missed the point by crassly discussing bathroom facilities. The state of the bathroom porcelain is the least of my concerns, but again I point out that I have been mislead by the P & O advertising as have many other passengers, and it is this that has offended most.

I’ll answer your last for the final time

1). I have no desire to be on the Ventura maiden or any other maiden.

2). Like you, my experience with P&O go back a long way. Canberra was a mere twinkle in the eye of the designer on my first P&O & since then my eyes have been wide open to the way the cruise industry operates in the last ten years or so in regard to Pre Maidens.

3). I have no knowledge as to why Arcadia did no pre maiden, but I would like to bet it was more due technical reasons & little to do with Past Customer Considerations.

4). If you read my earlier posts on this thread you will see I have done 2 or 3 shakedowns, not because I have any obsession with being the first onboard, but purely the fact they were ‘cheap jollys’.

5).Finally, You, like Me, are past passengers. We are not the future of P&O. Cruising is now the biggest growing holiday industry in the world, so we are no longer important in their future business plan, hence the dumbing down of dress codes, eat when you like, do as you please attitude is the way cruise lines are going, so as for your rally call at Captains Cocktail……………………Think again

3). I have no knowledge as to why Arcadia did no pre maiden, but I would like to bet it was more due technical reasons & little to do with Past Customer Considerations.
In addition, I would bet that there were plenty of jollies - so plenty of passengers who had already soiled and sullied the ship before the "maiden voyage".

All I want is an apology and a public acknowledgement that the cruise is now the Second Cruise of Ventura

I highly doubt you will receive it. Please, take a deep breath...as others have said, most cruises have a shakedown cruise. I'm sure you will have a great inaugural...It really isn't the end of the world...

I can't speak for P & O directly, but both Carnival Corp (Carnival, HAL) and Princess Cruises have some (several?) "cruises" with its newbuilds before the Maiden Voyage.

The first few cruises are populated only by company staff and provide training and familiarization programs for the on board cruise staff that will be assigned when the ship goes into full revenue operation. Clearly teamwork and familiarity with all aspects of the new ship must be instilled and in place beforethe ship goes into "prime time" service.

Then, in most cases, all newbuilds do short, 2 or 3 day, cruises for the "trade;" that is the high producing travel agents and other VIPs, usually on a non-revenue basis.

Then, on the day the ship is ready for its first full revenue voyage, a naming ceremony, including company luminaries and celebrities, takes place with the traditional breaking of a champagne bottle on the bow and fireworks.

In other words, all new ships has been "used" by passengers well before the Maiden Voyage.

The one distinction here is that P & O are apparently doing a full revenue 2 day cruise before the naming ceremony and, therefore, are making the term "Maiden Voyage" somewhat ambiguous.

Being one who enjoys the novelty (panache?) of sailing on a Maiden Voyage (we've done four over the years), I, too, would be annoyed in this situation. However, for what it's worth, there is a little solace to be had in the fact that the advertised "Maiden Voyage" is the first "real" sailing of consequence and is the first ever after the naming ceremony takes place. Also, if the inevitable overlooked item(s) occur on that 2 day cruise, correction can take place before the real Maiden Voyage takes place.

And that can be a good thing.

We sailed on a Maiden Voyage where they forgot to board any bath linens (towels and such), just pool towels. There were not enough pool towels to populate each bathroom with more than one, so we had to make do until we reached the first port of call.

In another case, the various shakedown runs went well, but they did not use the staterooms in the two lowest public decks at all. When the Maiden Voyage took place they discovered that the toilet drains had not been properly connected to the internal sewage system so that a bit of nasty effluent showed up quickly. The good news was that a team of ship builders/plumbers were assigned (as normal) and the problem was rapidly corrected.

Just heard about the 'weekender' on Ventura and all I can say is thank God for shakedown cruises where they have at least an outside chance to get it right first time.

A shame Cunard forgot to do one before Queen Victoria's Maiden voyage........

Hey ho.

WLCS

www.welovecruiseships.com

Thank you for yor reply.

I am well aware of 1 or 2 nighters where the Travel Trade and "The Great & The Good" are invited for jollies and this gives the crew a chace to test "All systems".

What sticks in my craw is that this is the first time that P&O (to my knowledge) have inserted a paying cruise BEFORE the Maiden, which sold out on Day One a year ago, presumably because, like me, they thought it was going to be the Maiden Cruise.

My main drivers when choosing a cruise are price, duration, itinerary and time of year. The Maiden Cruse (now read Second Cruise) did not fall into my latter three criteria (I prefer longer durations, destinations like Venice and Istanbul and cruising from Southampton in September). However the draw of going on a Maiden overrode these criteria, in particular as the last Maiden we went on (which did NOT have a paying cruise before) was the "aborted after two nights" Aurora, where we were obviously disappointed to have curtailed.

Firstly I think I must point out that I am only in my mid 40's. My parents took me a child on numerous cruises including the Canberra. I in turn have taken my children on many ships. Hopefully we can all be of some value as part of the future of cruising. I also think the new approach to a more casual experience onboard is one of the better changes to take place in recent years, thats why I keep on going, because the industry has changed to facilitate a younger clientele. I am so pleased that your cruising needs are fully satisfied by the two day shakedowns, but please dont presume that is enough for the more discerning passenger, old young or middle aged.

My Parents have booked to go on the Ventura Maiden cruise in April. They booked it becasue it was the maiden cruise and would be special.

They have just had their hopes shattered because P&O are now offering a weekend cruise called the Welcom Party the weekend before.

To say they are upset is an understatement - I wonder what P&O have to say about this.

Hi Mc

You are right of course, but we had to go on the wait list for the maiden cruise as there were only disabled cabins left and then missed out. Maybe they did it because of all of us that missed out.....who knows?

Guinea pigs really!

Are you going? We're gonna try, MIMO!

Stitch

Thank you for yor reply.

I am well aware of 1 or 2 nighters where the Travel Trade and "The Great & The Good" are invited for jollies and this gives the crew a chace to test "All systems".

What sticks in my craw is that this is the first time that P&O (to my knowledge) have inserted a paying cruise BEFORE the Maiden, which sold out on Day One a year ago, presumably because, like me, they thought it was going to be the Maiden Cruise.

My main drivers when choosing a cruise are price, duration, itinerary and time of year. The Maiden Cruse (now read Second Cruise) did not fall into my latter three criteria (I prefer longer durations, destinations like Venice and Istanbul and cruising from Southampton in September). However the draw of going on a Maiden overrode these criteria, in particular as the last Maiden we went on (which did NOT have a paying cruise before) was the "aborted after two nights" Aurora, where we were obviously disappointed to have curtailed.

I think you are right in your first para. normally the inaugrals are freebies and as we are in the travel industry, we have been invited to a few.

This paying for the first trip is a new one to me, but having said that P&O are a changing company and this isn't the first 'let down' by the company regarding the Ventura and to be honest, they are not 'flavour of the month' generally in the crusing community.

Things are not what they used to be at P&O they are going to a different market and money is what is the driving force behind them. This is seen not only in events like this one, but in subtle changes and service on board.

Maidens should be maidens and people should expect to be the first to 'enjoy' the new ship along with any teething problems that may arise. It is almost the fun of doing a new ship. I personally wouldn't book on a maiden and will wait until a few trips before trying it out so all those problems can be sorted.

However, if you book a maiden, is should be a maiden!

(then again if you book a double with a sofa bed, so that should be too!!) Not a bunk!!!)

Sorry just got a bit carried away there, see a previous post!!!

I am convinced P&O are losing the plot!

Kate

I think you are right in your first para. normally the inaugrals are freebies and as we are in the travel industry, we have been invited to a few.

This paying for the first trip is a new one to me, but having said that P&O are a changing company and this isn't the first 'let down' by the company

Hi! Kate I am Not from the Travel Industry, but do have contacts therein, & as you may have read in my earlier posts on this thread I have done 2 or 3 of these 'jolly's'. What is interesting is, you had not heard of payments for these, whereas all mine were paid for & as I recall I think they ranged from about £150 -£280. There have been other opportunities that I've turned down in the past (all chargeable), but to be honest they are barely worth the trouble of packing/unpacking. Last one was Norwegian Sun, but after 55 cruises the others have faded into oblivion. Regards

What I think is interesting is this. If you look at the Maiden Cruise write up on the P&O site it says this:

Join Ventura on the 18th April for her maiden Mediterranean voyage and be amongst the first to sail on this inspirational superliner. After a spectacular send off, Ventura’s very first port of call is the frenetic city of Barcelona.

:confused:

What I think is interesting is this. If you look at the Maiden Cruise write up on the P&O site it says this:

Join Ventura on the 18th April for her maiden Mediterranean voyage and be amongst the first to sail on this inspirational superliner. After a spectacular send off, Ventura’s very first port of call is the frenetic city of Barcelona.
I think that you forgot to highlight "After a spectacular send off ..."

None of this promises that there would be no passengers on board Ventura before the maiden voyage, nor that Ventura would never have called at any port before that Barcelona visit.

:confused:

The key word is 'amongst' as it does not say how many others you are with or that there may have been 3000 before.

So you are 'amongst' 6000 and not 3000.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

To me, be amongst the first to sail on could easily suggest that you are just in a group that are the first and also there is no doubting the meaning of maiden.

P&O/Carnival got greedy.End of story.The only help to "maiden" paasengers will be that SOME of the gliches will be ironed out.But not all by far, not in 2 days.

I did the maiden cruise on the Queen Victoria. Was I the first to sleep in the bed, doubtful. The ship had to sail from Venice to Southampton, I doubt it was empty. It arrived in Southampton on Friday 7th December and the maiden cruise was on the 11th. In this 4 days, the ship was filled with Travel Agents employees who, so I beleive, stayed at least one night before Camilla carried out her duties. I accept the travel egents did not pay themselves personally, but, the deal came out of the proceeds of selling places on Cunard ships. There is no such thing as a free lunch. If you are booked on the Ventura's maiden cruise, enjoy it, you will receive many perks that the party goers will not.

Of course, this extra trip has been enabled by the fact that work is ahead of schedule. Would those who are complaining about this extra trip have been happier if the work schedule had been tighter? Would they have simply shrugged their shoulders and written it off to bad luck had the work then overrun?

January 21, 2008: Work on Fred. Olsen's Balmoral Overruns

January 28, 2008: Balmoral Needs More Work; First Cruise Canceled

Somehow, I think that the current crop of whingers would whinge just as much if their precious "Maiden Voyage" had had to be curtailed or cancelled.

But maybe P&O would have been better off adding another travel agents' jolly in the extra time. That way, at least the whingers could continue to fool themselves that they are the first passengers on the ship.

To put another perspective on the subject, we managed to get a cabin on the 2 night trip and when I spoke to somebody I know who works for P&O / Princess, in Southampton I was reliably informed that there is actually another 2 night trip before the 11th April for Carnival staff and invited guests.

Therefore none of us will be first to use the facilities.

To put another perspective on the subject, we managed to get a cabin on the 2 night trip and when I spoke to somebody I know who works for P&O / Princess, in Southampton I was reliably informed that there is actually another 2 night trip before the 11th April for Carnival staff and invited guests.

Therefore none of us will be first to use the facilities.

If true, this makes it worse. :mad::mad:

However I am not on the maiden or the pre-maiden so I shall just stand back and let it all wash over me.

I do not think P&O have come up smelling of roses:confused:

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

Archived