Need advice...am I too old for these???

FOURunderFOUR

My opinion is I don't think you can make a final decision until you try them. If the cut is right , and the fit is right, then do it. If not, you'll look like a 31 year old woman who is trying to look like a teen. I find that some "junior" size clothes are cut in such a way that they look ill fitting, others hang appropriately. How many times have you seen a woman your age or older wearing junior size clothes and she looked like she was still thinking she was a teenager?

This is EXACTLY what I am worried about! We have a lot of these ladies in my town. Usually 40-somethings that are wearing ultra-mini skirts and tottering heels, or belly-bearing halter tops. YIKES!!! I do not want to look that that!

Youa re right. The fit really does make the difference. I am torn about ordering them now I realized my coupons can not be combined, and I will have to pay shipping to me and to return if I don't like them.

Mema and Papa (my parents) are the brave souls who are taking on all four. No twins...the oldest is now 4 1/2, then 16 months younger (3 yo), then 10 months younger (she came 15 weeks early!!), then 13 months younger. I had the last three (all girls) in 25 months, so it often feels like twins, or triplets!!! We are SO looking forward to this trip. Hopefully we can make it off the ship without adding #5!

Thanks to the rest of you for all your comments/advice!

J

You're really lucky! I only have one DS (now 12 1/2) and I thank my luck stars to have him!!! Hope you have a great cruise!!!

Hmmm..mom always said "when in doubt, don't". A college professor I had said "If common sense makes sense, seek no other sense".

Go with your gut. You won't make a bad decision. Promise. It's only a cruise..are these "must have" outfits for a cruise? Can you find a similar style like at Steinmart or something and be assured of a good fit? Then what are you going to do if you order them and you don't like them?

Anyways, this is how I make my decisions with clothes. There are lots of great outfits I love, but I wouldn't buy them because they don't look right, or don't fit right, or I would look ridiculous in them. You see that all the time..a woman who loves the outfit, looks hideous in it, but still loved the outfit.

Go with your gut. You won't make a bad decision that way.

This is EXACTLY what I am worried about! We have a lot of these ladies in my town. Usually 40-somethings that are wearing ultra-mini skirts and tottering heels, or belly-bearing halter tops. YIKES!!! I do not want to look that that!

Youa re right. The fit really does make the difference. I am torn about ordering them now I realized my coupons can not be combined, and I will have to pay shipping to me and to return if I don't like them.

Okay, I apologize about the fecundity comment. I'm having a really, really bad day. Death in the family.

But back to the question. Just because one "has the body for it" does not make it age appropriate. I just came back from a Caribbean cruise and saw women who were dressed way too young. Some of them had good enough bodies, but maybe their skin wasn't as taut as it had been. It really ends up making them look even older and rather sad.

At any rate, I would not take fashion advice from a 13-year-old girl. I wouldn't take any advice on anything from a teenager. I'm inclined to think that if you are asking if it is too young for you it probably is.

But back to the question. Just because one "has the body for it" does not make it age appropriate. I just came back from a Caribbean cruise and saw women who were dressed way too young. Some of them had good enough bodies, but maybe their skin wasn't as taut as it had been. It really ends up making them look even older and rather sad.

Good enough body to me means in shape and firm skin:) Regardless of age........

Okay, I apologize about the fecundity comment. I'm having a really, really bad day. Death in the family.

At any rate, I would not take fashion advice from a 13-year-old girl. I wouldn't take any advice on anything from a teenager. I'm inclined to think that if you are asking if it is too young for you it probably is.

That's too bad you think that way.

I love asking peoples opinions and not everyone is going to like what I wear.

My daughter and I are very fashionable and I WILL ask her what she thinks of an outfit. I didn't realize it was dumb to ask a teenagers

opinion.

FOURunderFOUR - 31 is young and I think the tops are very cute.

Like others have said be sure to check the sizing.

I don't think it's so much the age (although they are a bit teeny bopper), but the fact that you've had 4 kids (they know how to prevent that now).

Flame away.

Wow! Somehow I completely missed your comment. I am very proud of the fact that I am Catholic AND I try hard to follow the teachings of my faith. God has blessed us with 4 wonderful children. But we also know never to take our fertility for granted, as I have also had 4 miscarriages. I don't expect everyone to understand why we chose to live this way, but I also don't expect (although I should, and am used to it) obnoxious comments on my family size. Yes, we know what causes it, and we enjoy doing it! Yes there are days that I want to rip my hair out, perform my OWN vasectomy on my husband, etc. But I also know that I am living my life as God wants me to. I am doing His will, and in the end, that is all that matters.

By the way, I am curious why the fact that I have had 4 kids (actually 8 pregnancies) makes a difference in what I wear??

Wow! Somehow I completely missed your comment. I am very proud of the fact that I am Catholic AND I try hard to follow the teachings of my faith. God has blessed us with 4 wonderful children. But we also know never to take our fertility for granted, as I have also had 4 miscarriages. I don't expect everyone to understand why we chose to live this way, but I also don't expect (although I should, and am used to it) obnoxious comments on my family size. Yes, we know what causes it, and we enjoy doing it! Yes there are days that I want to rip my hair out, perform my OWN vasectomy on my husband, etc. But I also know that I am living my life as God wants me to. I am doing His will, and in the end, that is all that matters.

By the way, I am curious why the fact that I have had 4 kids (actually 8 pregnancies) makes a difference in what I wear??

Don't worry about the outrageous or overly personal comments. People sometimes say way more than they would in person on these message boards ... guess it's the anonymity thing. Unfortunately, words here can hang around a long time and can be far more hurtful than intended.

Hope you find some tops you like, and enjoy your time with your sweetie!

Don't worry about the outrageous or overly personal comments. People sometimes say way more than they would in person on these message boards ... guess it's the anonymity thing. Unfortunately, words here can hang around a long time and can be far more hurtful than intended.

Lesson is ... think and re-read before you hit submit!

Hope you find some tops you like, and enjoy your time with your sweetie!

I am a 31yo mom of 4 young kids. I know Delia's is supposed to be a store for teens and YOUNG women. I have never shopped in there before, but just got a catalog in the mail (no clue how) with free shipping and 15% off your order. I am still looking for some tops for my cruise. Give me your honest opinion, are these shirts too young for me? They don't appear to be what I consider typical "teeny-bopper" shirts (no offense to teens, here), but I don't want to look like someone who is trying to look younger than they actually are. Thanks!

http://store.delias.com/item.do?categoryID=1484&itemID=49097&sizeFilter=&colorFilter=&brandFilter=

I would wear this with a pair of wide-legged cream pants (if it is cream on top, or white linen pants if white).

http://store.delias.com/item.do?categoryID=1485&itemID=49107&sizeFilter=&colorFilter=&brandFilter=

I had a similar shirt last summer when I was pregnant, and I LOVED it. It looks nice with jeans, but can also be dressed up.

http://store.delias.com/item.do?categoryID=&itemID=49100&sizeFilter=&colorFilter=&brandFilter=&CROSS=154063&i=153986

I thought this would look "nautical" with my wide-legged white linen pants. I also have a white and navy striped hooded sweater cardigan that might make this outfit work for my flight down and embarkation.

Thoughts?? I leave in under 2 weeks and am having trouble finding things to wear.

TIA

J

I like the look of all the tops. I think they are all gorgeous. I would wear them, as long as they suited me. I agree, it would be best to try them on first. What ever you decide, have a great cruise! Also 31 is very young. And as long as you are happy with your family, don't worry about others unfair opinions about having a large family. In fact a big family is good! I am one of 4 children and it is fantastic. Just enjoy! :D :)

Mema and Papa (my parents) are the brave souls who are taking on all four. No twins...the oldest is now 4 1/2, then 16 months younger (3 yo), then 10 months younger (she came 15 weeks early!!), then 13 months younger. I had the last three (all girls) in 25 months, so it often feels like twins, or triplets!!! We are SO looking forward to this trip. Hopefully we can make it off the ship without adding #5!

Thanks to the rest of you for all your comments/advice!

J

Wow how wonderful !!I had four under the age of 7 ... 3 boys and then my girl and as hectic as the times were they were also the best years of my life. Don't remember us getting any alone holidays so enjoy and re-energize and kudos to Mama and Papa!:)

Archived