Balcony - a must have???

Agree with FLJudi as well. On our upcoming June cruise we are on a 14 day port intensive cruise (2 sea days) and we decided on an aft balcony this time. We didn't have to decide between port and starboard, we're right in the middle and will enjoy the extra room that this balcony affords. Also, we can enjoy a glass of wine at the end of the day and just relax before dinner.

I have been on three cruises and have had a balcony on two of them, including this past fall on a Med cruise. I love having a balcony, but I think you should probably look for value. If a balcony is $200 more pp, then it is a no brainer. If it is $400-$500 more pp, then it depends on budget and personal preference..

We are going on Splendour of the Seas in Nov. from Venice and we have a balcony. No matter what you choose, you will have a great time. Enjoy!

I...We are going on Splendour of the Seas in Nov. from Venice and we have a balcony. ...Enjoy!
What date are you sailing? we are out on 11/22 and it seems we have the SPLENDOUR to ourselves. just heard from a reliable source that the Splendour now has a Concierge Lounge which is now in place of the old Card Room.

We're on the Insignia on the cruise right before you. We get off the ship in Venice on 6/17. We also have an aft cabin - 7121. This will be our third aft cabin - the last two on Celebrity. The way to go.

FLJudi

• 1 month later...

Two major things to remember in life:

1) You cannot take it with you!

2) You are going!

You can do anything in life cheaper. If the extra money for a balcony is a problem financially, then I would do without it. If it's just a matter of spending less, but you can afford it, then go for the balcony. We always get a balcony for several reasons:

1. We love aft cabins and these are always balcony cabins.

2. We usually book a minisuite or small suite - larger room, full bath, etc. The cabins are all balcony cabins.

3. We never go to the pool area except on port days if we stay on the ship - this would be a Caribbean cruise. Can't take the crowds, noise, chair-saving (I know I would get into a fight).

4. Love having breakfast on the balcony.

5. Love sitting out on the balcony at nights.

I could retire but I choose to work so I can afford the things that I want.

Have done 2 cruises so far, Acapulco to Barbados through the Panama canal, and Athens to Venice.

For the first, all the balcony cabins were booked out (more than a year ahead!). We ended up with a premium outside without balcony.

The Med cruise was a last minute break on a budget. We booked an inside, but spent extra to get the larger inside cabin which was still a great saving on an outside one. My wife was very worried that she would have problems with lack of daylight, but in the event it was fine, and the cabin was spacious and well lit. My wife then did another Med cruise with her daughter in a budget inside cabin.

We are a sociable couple, and spent most of our time outside the cabin meeting and chatting with different people from round the world, sitting out on the decks or strolling round. For us that was part of the pleasure of the cruise, and though we wouldn't say no to a balcony cabin if the price was right (in fact we have a balcony cabin for an eastbound TA later this year though that's for a "special birthday"), I doubt we would spend much more time in it.

Only you will know how important having the balcony will be you. For us, the experience of participating in our cruises to date has been more important than the grade of the cabin, although as can be seen from the postings there are others with the opposite view.

Paul S

On my previous 6 cruises I have never had a balcony before, just oceanview. On our last cruise to the Med. DH and I only got the oceanview, and it was fine. This trip to the Med. we have 4 sea days, so we decided to get a balcony to enjoy on the sea days. We can't wait. We also decided to get one for our upcoming Mexican Riviera cruise because we have 3 sea days and the price was so cheap.

I guess it just depends on the price difference, if you can afford it, and if you really think you will use it.

Even if you're in ports most days, nothing beats the sound of the sea at night when you leave the balcony door open. We couldn't sail without it. Even in rough seas you can leave it open a bit and hear the sea.

I love having a balcony cabin and agree that it is worth the extra money.....except in the case of our Italy & Croatia cruise in May. We are on the Legend of the Seas and the price difference between an inside guarantee and a balcony was $2,000 PER person! I just could not justify those kind of additional dollars - that would significantly cut inot my shopping budget:eek:

From these posts it seems everyone has their own preferences.

We prefer inside cabins. We have turned down upgrades to go outside, with and without balconey.

Except for Alaska were the scenery was the major part of the cruise and we did go with a balconey, we spend very little time in our cabin, and when we do, we prefer the darkness and solitude.

When we are awake we much prefer being out in the public spaces, meeting other travelers and learning of their experiences and favorite cruise lines, etc.

In the ports where the arrivals or departures are interesting we prefer to go up on the top deck and watch. You can see port, starboard, forward and aft. And you can stay away from the smokers.

So if you like eating breakfast with just your cabin mate and sitting and watching the waves go by, get a balconey.

If you like mingling with your fellow travelers and only use the cabin for sleeping, and changing clothes, maybe inside will be just fine.

If you like cruising you will have a great time either way.

The busier we are during the day, the more we appreciate the the balcony.

We can have breakfast early on the balcony without having to get dressed go to a restaurant - which takes time - and be ready for sightseeing at any time. When we return from a hard day of playing tourist, the first thing we do is go out to the balcony to have a glass of wine (which we buy in port) which is a good way to relax and unwind before the evening activities.

I don't sleep well and love a place to go in the middle of the night when I'm wide awake.

Opening the balcony door and listening to the sound of the sea is better than any white noise machine.

When we travel with friends, opening the balcony door gives us more room to entertain.

Worth the extra money to us.

This is the exact reason we booked balcony cabins for our Med cruise! It's what we did on our Alaska cruise, we had 5 balcony cabins in a row and were out there constantly.

We still book OV's on occasion, depending on price, but nothing beats a balcony. That little piece of real estate is well worth the cost. Fresh air, brekkie in the morning, or just coffee, a glass of wine in the evening, leave the door open at night to hear the ocean. Those are some of our fondest memories of being on a ship, much more so than any shopping, shows or pool games.

We love having breakfast out on the balconey when we have time. Looking out when we arrive and leave port is another pleasure. Also, if you are travelling with early to bed or late risers (kids or adults) it gives you somewhere else to go.

Archived