Balcony - a must have???

Is a balcony a must while doing a E Med cruise? We have done the Carib many times and doesn't really matter to us. We know a balcony is a must for Alaska. I know some folks will cruise no other way. We are looking at the cost and want to determine if the extra $'s ($500+pp) are necessary or put those $'s towards air, tours, pre/post cruise, or whatever. Thanks for the info.

:) I agree with the previous post..we did that cruise with an inside and it was fine..with a port intensive cruise you are going and going and going...save you money for you excursions whether they be with the ship or on you own

My first two cruises were with ocean view and I was happy with those. My next cruise I had a mini-suite with a balcony and I've never looked back. If I couldn't afford a balcony, I wouldn't go until I could. That balcony gets lots of use, whether it's Alaska, New England/Canada, Caribbean, or the Med. That's the first place we head to when boarding the ship. Sit on the balcony and enjoy sailaway with a glass of bubbly, and nothing nicer to come back to after an exhausting day in port, than to your own balcony for a glass of wine in the evening. I'm not sure of the sea life in the Med, but on our New England/Canada cruise we had about 3 whales come up right under our balcony and put on a performance like they were trained animals. Arching, tail flapping, so close and seemed just for us, it was awesome. In Alaska, it was dolphins, but still just as thrilling to be at the railing and make a sighting.

Have a great trip!

I agree with agabbymamma, you can't go wrong with a balcony. The scenery on the Mediterranean is gorgeous in places like Monte Carlo, and Funchal, Madeira. If it's in your budget it affords such a great haven to relax, read and enjoy the sea.

You'll probably have a least two days at sea on your voyage. Also, we have always enjoyed having breakfast out on our balcony on the mornings we have had an early excursion booked, it's so lovely and beats fighting the crowds at the Lido.

After a day of running all over town it's such tonic to relax on your balcony and enjoy the sailaway.

Jonathan

Well clearly everyone that thinks a balcony is a must will really think I'm crazy but I wanted to know if it would be worth saving $1600 (no kidding, $800 p/p) to settle for an inside vs. oceanview cabin on a Med. cruise.

We've done one cruise inside and it truly was gloomy & cave-like when we were in it, but we really don't spend time in our cabin other than sleeping. I know people say sitting on the balcony is fabulous but that's just not my cup of tea -- I'd rather be out on the ship. So with that in mind, I wonder if the $1600 could be better spent on excursions, etc.

For that matter $1600 would go along way towards another cruise! :)

While a balcony is not a necessity, I think it's a plus and it really enhanced our Med cruise. Ours was a fairly port-intensive cruise (2 sea days/10 port days) and because we were on the go from dawn to dusk, when we were on the ship, we really enjoyed the 'down time' on our balcony. The ports are often extremely crowded in he Med which made us appreciate the solitude on our balcony.

A 12-14 day cruise, with 2 or more sea days, on a cruise during spring/summer/ early fall would probably make the extra $500./pp well worth it.

Well clearly everyone that thinks a balcony is a must will really think I'm crazy but I wanted to know if it would be worth saving $1600 (no kidding, $800 p/p) to settle for an inside vs. oceanview cabin on a Med. cruise.

I don't think you're crazy at all:) ... that's a significant amount of money. But it's hard to say if the savings is worth it without knowing a few details such as the ship, location of your OV vs. inside cabin and length of cruise.

I've had OV's and don't mind them, but I have some problems with claustrophobia so would be reluctant to book an inside. Your description of 'gloomy and cave like' sounds like it's a sacrifice for you to settle for an inside .... but it really comes down to what you can afford and how important the cabin is to you in your overall vacation.

You're going to get 10 different answers to this question. If you're not used to having a balcony, then you probably won't miss one in the Med. We never cruise without one and spend a considerable amount of time out there. Our Sea Days are spent on our balcony in relative peace and quiet with a good book and a tall drink. If you spend yours by the pool then skip the balcony. One of my fondest memories of our 05 Med. Cruise was being anchored off Villefranche, ordering room service and drinking the bordeaux that we'd picked up in Nice while gazing at the shoreline lights.....magical.

we've booked a balcony for the SPLENDOUR out of Venice, 10nts, 11/22/2008. Understand might be on the chilly/rainy incline of weather, but what the heck....It's the Med and we want to be able to step out and enjoy the experience:) The pricing was drop dead a $teal, so didn't break the bank to get the D1:D Now to figure out the touring and the shopping (must buys)....any ideas? (ports include: Dubrovnik; Santorini; Tunis; Malaga; Casablanca. we have a sea day, followed by a port day, etc.etc.....Very nice cruise-pace.

Well the early morning sail into Venice across the misty lagoon and then onto the Grand Canal and silently slipping by St. Marks......while having your breakfast on your starboard balcony......I think it was worth it for that alone :)

I had a balcony on the Westerdam for 26 days on a b2b Med cruise a few months ago. I am going on a 23 day b2b on the Constellation in April. Money is not an issue per say. But I gave up the balcony. Why? Smokers.

It seemed that whenever we wanted to just relax on the balcony or watch the sunrise or sunset, people around us were always smoking. Seemed like we never spent more than about 3 minutes at a time on the balcony until we were driven inside by smokers on their balcony. So why pay for something you cannot enjoy or use.

I have had the good fortune to have a balcony on all of my recent cruises (last 12). But I have to say that I never even used it on our Med cruise- other than to dry out some laundry.

I love having the large expanse of glass and the ability to get some fresh air. Is it worth $ 1000 or so more? That is up to the individual.

If I were paying for the Med (which I wasn't and am not this time either- gift from Dad). I would probably not get a balcony and spend the money on other things.

In other words, I never used it to view scenery in Europe. In fact, I was on the portside for the sail into Venice and spent the morning of the sail in on the open deck and in the Bar at the bow of the ship- where the panoramic view was spectacular- accompanied by a three peice orchestra. You don't have the same view from the balcony. It is more limited.

In fact, I was on the portside for the sail into Venice and spent the morning of the sail in on the open deck and in the Bar at the bow of the ship You don't have the same view from the balcony. It is more limited.

Hence why going into Venice..... go starboard not port!.....equally going out make sure you have a port side balcony :)

While we had a balcony on our E. Med cruise and used it (and enjoyed it) very much, I would certainly not say it is a "must". With the prices in Europe becoming ever higher, if it was a choice between an inside cabin and more private tours, or a balcony --- I'd take the inside. Almost all ships have a great many places where you can watch sailaways, sit outside or inside and see the view on sea days, etc.

Hence why going into Venice..... go starboard not port!.....equally going out make sure you have a port side balcony :)

No argument here. On my upcoming trip to Europe we sail out of Venice and I am on the portside but I will still be out on the open deck- higher up. It is a better unobstructed view.

I see the why people like balcony cabins but I personally don't think it's worth the extra cost on a port intensive med crusie. I say spend the money elsewhere. The only time we were in our cabin was to sleep.

The busier we are during the day, the more we appreciate the the balcony.

We can have breakfast early on the balcony without having to get dressed go to a restaurant - which takes time - and be ready for sightseeing at any time. When we return from a hard day of playing tourist, the first thing we do is go out to the balcony to have a glass of wine (which we buy in port) which is a good way to relax and unwind before the evening activities.

I don't sleep well and love a place to go in the middle of the night when I'm wide awake.

Opening the balcony door and listening to the sound of the sea is better than any white noise machine.

When we travel with friends, opening the balcony door gives us more room to entertain.

Worth the extra money to us.

I agree with you, FLJudi! We use our cabins A LOT on port intensive cruises...it is great to start out with breakfast on the balcony, and it is even better to have a private sanctuary to return to after a busy day of touring. For me, the main attraction of cruising is not the shows, the dining, the activities...but the sea, and there is no better way to enjoy it than from your own balcony.

Archived