Do I Really want to take my Laptop Computer?

amyandron

I would have to ask what do you want to do with it? Some people bring a gps and their lap top for the mapping software, others to download their digital pic's. If you are going to use it for e mail, well I don't bother with mine for the week but I guess that is up to you.

Only if you have a really special reason to bring it. My husband and I both have to check emails and correspond with our assistants back home....so easy to use the standard system of email's and such. I use a special email address so that only those who need to communicate with me and I don't have to wade thru any trash, etc. Our total bill is usually less than $15...we check twice a day....WE ARE ON VACATION!

Lou

Thanks for the help, no computer it is! See, that just goes to

show that I am in serious need of a vacation! :D

We sell Real Estate, so it's hard to imagine being "detached" from

my computer, but I suppose if I can check my email a couple times

a day I'll be ok...

I'm guessing you can download your pictures onboard as well???

Thanks again!

-Amy

Amy, I've read on another thread that it costs something like $17.00 to get digital photos transferred to CDs onboard. You might be better off getting a larger memory stick for your camera. Or, as somebody suggested, bring some blank CDs with you, find somebody with a laptop & offer to buy him/her a drink in exchange for downloading your pictures onto the CD!

If you want just to check email, I would simply use the ship's internet cafe. But if you have other uses, I wouldn't feel like I'm infringing on my vacation by taking it. If you want to download your pictures, edit them, get rid of the bad ones, start a webpage with them, or even keep a word file of a daily diary of the cruise, I can't think of a better place to do that than in a lounge chair out on deck.

How many reviews do you read where the person says "I can't really remember this or that." or "When I get a chance, I'll write about day 2"? Yours can start "As I sit here in the breeze on the Lido deck, with a frozen thingie beside me..."

It's your time, do with it how you please LOL. Just because somebody is sitting there with a laptop doesn't mean they aren't enjoying their vacation.

I take mine on every cruise, but do not use it during the cruise. I typically receive 200+ emails while being out of the office for one week. At the end of our cruise after checking in for our return flight home I dial in to my network from a pay phone in the airport. I download all my emails and then am able to read them offline on the flight home. When I get home and back to the office it makes for a much easier transition to reality not having all these messages to wade through! Besides, I don't sit still well on airplanes so this helps tremendously to pass the time!

I would only take it for two reasons:

1) transfering digital photos from camera

2) watching DVDs.

But, I decided to get a couple extra digital cards when they go on sale, and I can do without my own movies for a week...soooo No laptop for me!

Well, Now I think I've changed my mind!

I'll take it for the ability to download my pictures onto the computer..

Just as long as I don't spill my drink on it, I'll be ok:rolleyes:

Besides, if something does happen to it, it's an excuse to upgrade to

a new one ! LoL ;)

We'll see!

Thanks everybody, I love the input everyone gives on these boards!

I'm not taking mine on a three-day cruise to Nassau, but on a longer cruise I will definitely find plenty of time to use it. Besides keeping in touch with family and emailing them pictures from exotic places, I run a large debate email group and will need to monitor that some. It will also keep me in touch with news articles when I'm away from the TV and newspapers. After all, I'll have lots of days at sea and some of them will be spent indoors due to weather, I imagine.

Slinkie

Unfortunately for me, I have no choice but to take my laptop. We're sailing on Brillance of the Seas 12/3/2004 to the Panama Canal for a 10 day cruise. It's also the same week that my research paper is due for class. My instructor pushed up my date for the draft to be due the Monday after Thanksgiving. She's going to return it back to me (with her comments) the day before we leave. I'll be spending the week finalizing it because I have to present it to the class the day after we get back.

I need to look into unlimited internet access from our room so that I can email my instructor. Boy, I guess I picked a bad time to go back to college. :)

We bring ours for several different reasons. Depending on the ship, we can sit in the library or on deck to check e-amils (easier to do a few each day than hundreds when we get home), downloading pictures, I like to log each days adventures when my mind is fresh, and we watch DVD's on the plane. Last time we had a long layover and played video games in the airport to pass the time! We also like to check the local news to see if our teens burned down the house! Hubby uses the laptop bag as his carryon and it has not ever been a problem going through security.

I would never bring one. I am on vacation. I have never set foot in the onboard internet cafe.

I have fired people for contacting me during vacation. There is absolutely *nothing* that is so important that it cannot wait until I return. If they cannot solve simple problems in my absence, I do not need them working for me.

Bring enough memory cards, and downloading pictures magically becomes a non-issue.

Always take mine. I download pictures every day and MAKE A BACKUP onto CD.

I'm only emphasising that through my own mistake.

We went skiing over Xmas and after downloading everything, and clearing the memory cards, it crashed bigstyle and I lost all our Xmas piccies. My wife wasn't too impressed especially as my job is a photographer. :D

We also use it to listen to music whilst we're getting ready for the evening, and relax later playing that addictive Spider Solitaire game!!!

They have more uses than work you know.;)

I would never bring one. I am on vacation. I have never set foot in the onboard internet cafe.

I have fired people for contacting me during vacation. There is absolutely *nothing* that is so important that it cannot wait until I return. If they cannot solve simple problems in my absence, I do not need them working for me.

Bring enough memory cards, and downloading pictures magically becomes a non-issue.

Obviously, you're just a techniphobe, maybe even a Ludite, with no technical knowledge. It's a shame you aren't able to cope in this ever changing world.:D

Obviously, you're just a techniphobe, maybe even a Ludite, with no technical knowledge. It's a shame you aren't able to cope in this ever changing world.:D
Hardly, and FYI, it's "Luddite."

It's *my* vacation, and unwanted intrusions are not acceptable, in any way shape or form.

Unless there are no others in your company/brokerage, have you not designated someone to handle your clients for the week?

You also have the option of using the "out of the office" message on your email and voice mail.

You're on vacation.....aaaaah. Leave the clients when you board. ;)

Thanks for the help, no computer it is! See, that just goes to

show that I am in serious need of a vacation! :D

We sell Real Estate, so it's hard to imagine being "detached" from

my computer, but I suppose if I can check my email a couple times

a day I'll be ok...

I'm guessing you can download your pictures onboard as well???

Thanks again!

-Amy

Hardly, and FYI, it's "Luddite."

It's *my* vacation, and unwanted intrusions are not acceptable, in any way shape or form.

I vote with tef43 on this one, I spend much time out doors living at Lake Tahoe, I see people at the beach with laptops, at the rivers fishing talking on there cell phones, camping with a tv set.

when I am on vacation I do not want called by anyone, I don't want let anyone know what a great time I am having. On last years vacation at Disneyland the extent of contact with others was a postcard to my adult children telling them

"having a great time, glad you are not here"

Bob P.

Archived