31 Day Sapphire clothes and beauty questions

SissyG

...glad I'm not the only one. I weighed our suitcases again this weekend and somehow three of them are 5# heavier than I thought they were. Darn, that's 15# less clothes and accessories I can take. I have been doing the trying on part and then the alterations. Lost about 20# since last years cruise, not as much as I'd wanted but enough that some things have to be adjusted.

Count us in on the 4 bags at maximum weight (was trying to be kind and not mention the business class weight of 70# each) and 2 carry-ons. We are staying with friends in Sydney and they have offered us luggage to repack smaller amounts for our trip to Cairns and Uluru where we have the Virgin Blue and Quantas weight restrictions.

One last shopping trip in March when I take the dog to our daughter's in Las Vegas. We'll enjoy a couple days together shopping for any great last minute deals I can't live without. I'm sure there will be a few.

Deb

Love reading the plans ya'll are making !!!! I think the bunch of you could solve the recession problem, feed the world, lower gas prices and find 3 new shades of red lipstick in the SAME DAY and still have dinner on the table by 7PM.;) I have enjoyed reading about your packing and gleaning hints for my own trip to Alaska. Ya'll have a GREAT time and thanks for sharing.

I am by no means suggesting anyone sew. I did for years until carpal tunnel took over my life (even with surgery). But, if you look at Simplicity Threads patterns, you can see how a mix and match wardrobe works and how with about 7 pieces, you can make up an entire wardrobe of about 20 or so outfits. For example, take a blue skirt, white top, blue pants, white pants, white skirt, blue top and see how many combinations you can make. My favorite 3 colors to do are navy blue, tan and white. But you can do any 3 colors and come up with all kinds of combinations. I'd like to someday put together a whole set of pieces and go on an extended cruise like that.

Hope this helps.

I talked to our friends in New Zealand this PM and they did say we won't need heavy coats for the fjords or Duneiden....but to be sure to bring umbrellas as well as a waterproof jacket and layers for that part of the trip. They said Auckland [where they live] will be capri weather.

I live in a small 1 bedroom flat, so no spare room to hang clothes. My bedroom - looks like a Chinese laundry:D , i have been trying on clothes for about a week now- they vary in 3 different sizes, UK sizes- 14,s 16,s and 18s, i have been to WW for 3 weeks - lost 3 1/2lbs only, i have tried really hard but at my age its slow going, anyway I have managed to get in some clothes- the larger sizes, I am still about 20lbs more than i was on my last cruise- 11months ago, Oh why do i leave it till the last few weeks to try and slim down :confused: , when i have known for 10 months about this cruise, am i the only one who panics at the last minute!!!!??. I envy you all with your 2 cases allowance, i am allowed only 1 suitcase-50lbs and 13lbs carry on, funny enough i am allowed 2x50lbs on my way home!!. Well i must move myself, and get my shower, its WW day and the dreaded weigh in, take care, audrey. PS I cant wait to meet you all.:) :)

I bought a light weight, folding hamper for our dirty clothes. It weighs next to nothing. We have a plastic & mesh bag one but it is always falling over in the closet of the ship.

Deb, we will be dropping our dog off at our daughters also. She lives in Cincinnati which is not quite as much fun as Las Vegas. One good thing though, Macys is a client of the company she works for & she gets an employee discount. We will be shopping for all those wonderful things that I don't need and won't possibly fit in my suitcases! Oh well, Ed only needs 2 pairs of underwear!!!

Did someone mention capri weather??? I can only imagine being warm

Nancy

Hi, I am back from WW, I was so shocked to find i had lost 3 1/2lbs, so thats 7lbs and i got my silver tick, i had tried harder last week - and no loss, but its all weight off in the long run, I ve only 5 weeks on saturday before my long flight to Oz. I have many suitcases from cruising, starting out with 1 and finishing with 2- all large ones, but weighed one - i have only used once and it weighed less than 10 lbs , so i am swopping my original one (13lbs), so that leaves my 3lbs more for packing clothes.:p I have written down the weight of every item and will decide what fits and is the lightest in weight, so nearer the flight date will make a final decision, but for the first time i wont be able to take my beaded jackets etc , Ive never had to travel with only 50lbs luggage allowance , but I keep telling myself it will be all worth it :) :), Does any one know if i will need warmer clothing for OZ and NZ? take care, audrey.

We have that folding hamper too and I LOVE it. It goes with me everywhere - must weight about 3 or 4 oz not much. We got ours on line from Camping World - but I've seen them in Wal Mart

My son gave me the idea when I took a short trip with him in his motor home - he has a couple for in the motorhome and they work great.

Mines fits easily into the suitcase.

Charlene

Speaking of Laundry I am not sure if anyone is interested in this but when we did the Transatlantic from Venice to FLL - we purchased a little item called "Washeze" - these are sheets (like Bounce) that have detergent, the fabric softner and anti static all in one sheet. (Our military uses them)

www.washeze.com

These are really terrific. They are so small and fit easily into a suitcase. They charge the same shipping for a package of one as they do for a case so a bunch of us went together and bought a case. I took two packages and still have one left so will be bringing it with me. I think they are $4.95 for a package of 10. Sure beats what Princess charges for the detergent etc. The package of 10 weights about 10 ounces.

Charlene

Audrey, congrats on your loss, way to go and you thought you would not be able to lose the weight you wanted to.

Are you guys talking about those mesh hampers that fold flat? I would sure love to find a small one to make it easier to take dirty clothes to the laundry...I have a large one in my garage for laundry but it is way too big and would not want to sacrifice that much space or wt. in my suitcase.

Sissy

Sissy,I hope you don't mind me brousing this board. You can also get them sometimes at the dollar stores if you have one near you. If I have the weight allowance left:eek: I can bring a couple of extras. Donna got ours there. 99 cents plus tax.

Charlene, I went to order some of those laundry sheets but the shipping is double to get them into Canada:mad: so I think we will just bring the Tide Tablets. Freezing cold here this morning and going to be worst tonight. Phil

I bought the hamper at Wal Mart. Also found the washer/dryer sheets at our local supermarket. It was a trial pack (3for 99cents). I only bought one and when I went back, they were sold out. That will teach me!!

Packed all the bathing suits and cover ups last night. They will not wrinkle, will still fit even if I (hopefully) lose or (God forbid) gain weight, and I certainly will not be wearing them before April!!

Nancy

Charlene,Thanks that depends if you have the weight room and space. Don't leave them in the box (too much room taken) just a baggy or something. Let me know price with shipping. I'm going to see if they still have any of the folding hampers at the dollar store and bring a couple of extras for anyone that needs it. Phil

One of the reasons I browse this post is to get ideas for this and other trips in the future. Donna is way to busy at her jobs to do a lot of shopping so I do most of it. I am the chief cook,bottle washer,fashion cordinator, and do all in our house. Work at home so I have more time to do it.;) Phil

Since I am going to order these for Phil, I will be glad to just order a case and then either mail them or deliver them on board. By ordering a case, save a ton on shipping. I have sufficient space to bring them and they weigh next to nothing.

So if anyone wants any, please let me know by March 1st - and I will order and then split the shipping. There are 10 in package so enough for 10 loads of laundry.

Charlene

Charlene I would take 2, but I don't want it to be a pain to carry with you. I'm afraid I have to go out in this cold Brrrr. I have to call on some of my customers and check on those hampers at the dollar store(2 blocks away for the dollar store)

Sissy, I try to skip over any of those posts quickly, but you did give me a couple of sites to check out for myself and for Donna. I got my outfit from Just Mauied, different pattern than you got for Ron. We'll have to see how many others have ones for that formal night. Phil

P.S. Sissy do you want one of those hampers if they still have them.

Phil, I just wanted to clear up any confusion that anyone might have...I did not buy RON tropical formal wear...but I did buy my hubbie ROBERT a tropical tie and cummerbund at Christmas..LOL If they have the hampers and you are sure you have room and wt. allowance available, we would really love to have one. I think to give up room in your suitcase is a very generous offer. Thank you. Sissy

Sissy, Sorry tooo many names to remember of who's who with who :confused: Not imbedded into the brain yet.

I picked up 4 more of the hampers when I was out so your can count one for you. I can squeeze 2 into my camera bag weight and if anyone else needs one I'll sneak it in our checked somewhere( might have to leave a pair of socks home or something:D Phil

Archived