31 Day Sapphire clothes and beauty questions

SissyG

I "Tea'd" my body suit this morning and it came out great. Like yours, a really nice color. The straps are a wee bit darker than the lace, but its ever so much better than the stark white that it was. Thanks again for reminding me about tea dying.:)

Hugs

Anni

I "Tea'd" my body suit this morning and it came out great. Like yours a really nice color. The straps are a wee bit darker than the lace, but its ever so much better than the stark white that it was. Thanks again for reminding me about tea dying.:)

Hugs

Anni

Oh goodie, I am happy to hear that it came out to your liking...I like the way mine looks, but never know what someone else is expecting. I agree it was way too white before and would show thru light colors like a beacon. I have the black one too. I was really surprised how well they worked because the lace looks like it would not be that supportive.

I am getting antsy and want to get this show on the road..I have clothes and stuff everywhere in my guest room..it is a no man's land, Robert would not dare venture near the staging area, it may look like a mess, but it's my mess and I know where I have everything. I have so far resisted getting the luggage from the attic, waiting for a warm and sunny day so I can febreeze them and sit them out on the deck to air. Sissy

I am getting antsy and want to get this show on the road..I have clothes and stuff everywhere in my guest room..it is a no man's land, Robert would not dare venture near the staging area, it may look like a mess, but it's my mess and I know where I have everything. I have so far resisted getting the luggage from the attic, waiting for a warm and sunny day so I can febreeze them and sit them out on the deck to air. Sissy

I know what you mean about the staging area. When we came back from our last cruise in late October I got everything clean and put all the summer cruise things in an upstairs closet all by itself :p . Now for that part all I have to do is bring it back downstairs and "pack it". For the cooler weather things I have been putting them on a rack downstairs. I actually pack the luggage downstairs so we do not have to lug the packed luggage. After looking at what I have It may be a too much Chico's----but will be will be.

Hugs

Anni

I use Meclazine (bonine), have ridden out some very rough seas and it works fine. No dry mouth, no sleepiness. When it was only available with a script you would hear it called Antivert.

I am going to try to attach something so funny I could not pass it up..

A WOMAN'S WEEK AT THE GYM

OMG! That was hilarious! If laughter is the best medicine, you just gave me a priceless dose! I can't wait to share it with my other "I'm going to start exercising next week!" friends! What a Hoot!:D:D:D

PS. Thanks for the information on Meclazine! ;)

COLLEEN

Sissy,

So glad to hear you have already started staging clothes. Everyone thinks I am crazy to have started laying out clothes I want to bring in the guest room. Notice I said "want". I have a sinking feeling I am going to have to cut back drastically. I only have one piece of luggage out yet, a rolling duffle that we just bought.

Judi

All I know is that there are 5 formal nights and they are usually not on a port day. I love formal nights but have to say that on our last 31 day cruise by the the last formal night I was a little less exuberant about dressing up. I had not planned well, I had saved a new royal blue satin Suzy Wong cheongsam dress for the last night, I felt like 10 pounds of potatos in a 5 pound sack all night. This time I have planned my formal night outfits so I have something loose fitting to wear on that last formal night. LOL

Sissy

All I know is that there are 5 formal nights and they are usually not on a port day. I love formal nights but have to say that on our last 31 day cruise by the the last formal night I was a little less exuberant about dressing up. I had not planned well, I had saved a new royal blue satin Suzy Wong cheongsam dress for the last night, I felt like 10 pounds of potatos in a 5 pound sack all night. This time I have planned my formal night outfits so I have something loose fitting to wear on that last formal night. LOL

Sissy

Sissy,

I always enjoy reading your posts, but the truth in this one made me laugh out loud! :D:D:D

I never would have considered how the inevitable outcome all the wonderful food and plentiful drinks would affect which outfit I'd wear when! It will now definitely be added to my clothes planning!:eek:

You are such a kick in the pants! I can't wait to meet you!

Colleen:)

Got our documents today!

Has anyone used the new Princess Luggage Valet service they are offering which ships your luggage from home to ship and vice versa? Anyone know how much it REALLY costs? Could save everyone a lot of angst!

Bobbie

Ron emailed me that he had checked into it, Princess advertised it starting at $30. but he found out that to have 1 bag picked up at his house and delivered to Sydney it would cost over $500. Now who would ever consider doing that? Domestically it might be tempting, but that is kind of ridiculous.

Sissy

I bought Spanx at Nordstrom. They also have the full line at nordstrom.com. Shipping is only $5 and if you have a store near you, you can return anything you don't want directly to the store. I find it much easier to try these on at home and return what I don't want.

If you are flying Qantas to Australia I am sure you were just as surprised as I was at the meager 15 pound carryon luggage restriction. This information is on our roll call but some of you may not read all the posts. Yesterday I found the neatest little lightweight carryon on http://www.ebags.com

it is only 5.4 pounds, cute as can be too...made by Heys it is a pod-like shiny hardshell rolling suitcase and comes in pink, turquoise and black, I ordered two of them for us. Robert weighed our Costco carryons and they were just slightly under 10 pounds each unpacked so that would have only allowed us to pack 5 pounds of stuff ..I have way more stuff than that...I think my makeup weighs that! (yes, I get to pack my makeup in my carryon, I use Bare Escentuals and it is all powder minerals, no liquids) We now will have almost 10 pounds of stuff we can put in each of our carryons, I can live with that.

I read the reviews and the biggest problem seemed to be that the shiny exterior scratches easily. I don't plan to use this often so should not be a problem. I would be so afraid to take a carryon that was overweight..last time I flew Qantas I actually had to throw away toiletries on my way home to get thur Qantas luggage check in...I would not want to throw anything away on my way to Sydney. Sissy

This is getting confusing; what do I put in carry on: jewellery, all prescription meds in a clear ziploc bag along with 3 oz size hand lotion, eye drops and some makeup, a reading book, IPod, camera (s), crossword puzzles, hair brush, change of clothes, noise reducing earphones (2), Blowup neck pillows (2). Do they still hand out the little disposable toothbrushes on the plane?

Have I missed anything?

In the checked luggage I am going to put one bag in each of them of important beauty needs that I can't buy in Sydney. (There are some lotions that are not sold in Australia.) Am going to buy two sets of each. I am afraid of one bag getting lost. :eek:

Can anyone tell me if I can buy 60SPF sunscreen in Sydney? I usually buy mine at the Dermatologist. Also, the non prescription over the counter drug stores that we usually carry; :D Can we pack these? Asking because of the Australian customs. If we declare them, do we have to open the suitcases and show them?

Sissy: We bought two of the lightweight carryon Heyes bags for our granddaughters one Christmas. I'm considering borrowing them instead of using the ones we have. We also have Heyes rolling duffle and Heyes rolling garment bag.

Snowbird

I just got off the phone with Qantas. Trying to be sure we have this luggage thing figured out. Fred and I have Day Packs (back packs) and I was trying to find out if that would be counted as our carry on. I don't take a purse. The woman I spoke with said it would probably depend on the person at airport to make this distinction. I think we will probably get the 15 lb limit in them and maybe carry cameras as well as jacket. Since you can have a purse as well as a carry on I asked if there was a weight limit on a purse and she said no. I even mentioned that some purses can be very large. I don't want any of this to be a problem, so we will probably just use Day Packs as carryon. Any opinions?

Have I missed anything?

Can anyone tell me if I can buy 60SPF sunscreen in Sydney? I usually buy mine at the Dermatologist. Also, the non prescription over the counter drug stores that we usually carry; :D Can we pack these? Asking because of the Australian customs. If we declare them, do we have to open the suitcases and show them?

Snowbird

You can only buy 30+ SPF sunscreen in Australia. They may in fact contain a higher SPF than 30 but we are not allowed to label anything more than 30+ in Australia.

Unfortunately you cannot tell which ones these are.

Ego sunsense and Hamiltons are both very good brands.

Linda

Just started trying to sort out what to take on this trip and panic is setting in. Between the changes in climate (looks like any where from 50's to high 80's and humid) and trying to have some choices not quite sure what I'll do. I'd love to hear from others about the actual numbers of bottoms and tops you are planning to pack. Like 2-3 pair of jeans, 3 capris, shorts ? 15-20 tops (long sleeve vs short sleeve). Are you planning more for the warmer weather and make do for the maybe 5-6 cooler days? We will actually be gone for 41 days arriving in Port Douglas on the 5th. I'm even considering forgetting the formal nights - my stuff is small and packable, but if Fred didn't have to take a jacket, dress pants and shoes I'd have some extra space in his bag. How is that for selfish? :D It doesn't sound like any of the Koalas skip the formal nights - would love to hear if you do. :confused:

Thanks Sissy for starting this great message board. I have finally found out that I am not as fat as I think. You all are wearing Spanx!!!!! I never even knew about them!!! But will check out the websites.

I wanted to mention that my husband LOVES being in the exercise room. So, I buy him cheap Athletic Works Shirts at Walmart for exercising. When he takes his shower, he washes out his shirt and hangs it on a hangar in the shower or on the balcony and it's ready to wear again another day!!! He also buys nylon spandex briefs and does the same thing - wash them in the shower and they're dry before you know it! We ALWAYS have a balcony so he dries a lot of stuff out there. Don't forget to bring plastic clothes pin type hooks with you. The hook hangs over the clothes line.

I read in the other message board that someone is bringing a case of wine with them on the ship because our Passage Contract says that we "agree NOT to bring alcoholic beverages of any kin (except wine & champagne) on board". However, the Cruise Answer Book says "You may bring wine or champagne onboard to celebrate special occasions (limit: one bottle per person)".

We went on a Norwegian cruise in Nov. and found that they are much more casual than Princess. I used to try to get away with wearing Capris on regular nights on Princess but every other woman had slacks on --- so I guess it's slacks in the evening. :mad: I'd wear capris, shorts & jeans all the time if I could get away with it!!!

I find that I bring a bunch of sandals with me but then never wear most of them during the day because I walk wherever I go and prefer being in my Easy Spirit sneakers! I might not be in style but I am comfy and can walk faster in them! So, this time, I'm leaving most of them home.

Ohhh - don't forget GOOD hand & body lotions!!! I brought some good brand named scented ones on my last cruise but they weren't especially for dry skin. In just 10 days, my hands were soooo chapped.

Another thought - bring saline nasal spray on the flights and use it often to prevent the drying up of your sinuses. It's under 3 oz. and can go into your little plastic baggy. I also bring a neti pot with me to use on the ship.

Don't bring apples into New Zealand. Last Feb., we went there on a tour and my sister was fined $200 NZ for forgetting that she had an apple in her carry-on.

I've gabbed on long enough. Keep up with the great ideas. I'm off to "Bare Necessities" to look for something to make me skinny, too!!!!! :D

Karen

Went shopping today and picked up a few little items that I can't leave home without.... My favorite fragrance, Origins Ginger rollon, tiny and it is under the 3 oz. limit, but what I like is that it fits in evening bags. I am making one concession on toiletries..I am bringing my Ginger body butter, shower gel, lotion and fragrance spray wrapped and in ziplock bags in my checked bags, will buy all the other toiletries in Sydney. Picked up a few new OPI nail polishes, I'll have my nails done but like to use my own polish just in case it needs a little sprucing up, always have to have one or two new ones for a cruise.

I have a ton of clothes that I want to bring, I have been buying must haves for a year and a half..I can hardly wait to dig in my guest closet and find all the surprises that await me...I know I can't bring everything..will pack until I reach my weight limits..that is what I always do. Will have a better idea of what I can really bring when I start getting serious about packing and will post it. Robert is taking his tux and lots of different accessories. I called Princess to rent a white dinner jacket to break up the monotony, and

was told they had rented out his size already...they only carry a limited amount of dinner jackets, and since it is going out of Sydney to Los Angeles they will not be adding to their inventory, darn, think that look is so handsome.

I called Hawaiian Airlines yesterday to ask about the checked luggage allowance from LAX on an international flight to Sydney, and they said 70 lbs!!!:) We are only flying one way since we are driving to LAX and will have our car when we return, so we don't have to worry about the weight limit on flights when we return to the US. This will make packing much easier. Now we may even be able to take our own snorkel gear!

I plan on buying some things in Sydney also. I understand that Australia is very "picky" about what they allow being brought into the country. I usually bring my own coffee with me on cruises, but this time I think I will wait until I get to Sydney to buy it. I also use International Coffee creamers, and I hope I can find them there!

I think there is a K-Mart and a Target somewhere in the suberbs of Sydney. Has anyone else heard that?

Jan

Just started trying to sort out what to take on this trip and panic is setting in. Between the changes in climate (looks like any where from 50's to high 80's and humid) and trying to have some choices not quite sure what I'll do. I'd love to hear from others about the actual numbers of bottoms and tops you are planning to pack. Like 2-3 pair of jeans, 3 capris, shorts ? 15-20 tops (long sleeve vs short sleeve). Are you planning more for the warmer weather and make do for the maybe 5-6 cooler days? We will actually be gone for 41 days arriving in Port Douglas on the 5th. I'm even considering forgetting the formal nights - my stuff is small and packable, but if Fred didn't have to take a jacket, dress pants and shoes I'd have some extra space in his bag. How is that for selfish? :D It doesn't sound like any of the Koalas skip the formal nights - would love to hear if you do. :confused:

I am slowing pulling everything I could possibly want to take into the spare bedroom and then will weed out what doesn't fit or is too heavy. I am planning bringing at least 1 pair of jeans, a pair of black chinos, a pair of black slacks, and a wind suit for the cooler climes. The number of capris will depend on how much room I have. We definitely do formal nights but I am just bringing Chico's travelers, tops and pants. They are very lightweight and don't take up much room. No beaded jackets or tops. George is renting a tuxedo and shoes and will bring a blazer. He did this on our last European cruise and this worked out well.

Judi

Archived