Digital Photos Question

sklskygrp

I am sailing on the Elation in January.:D I plan on taking a LOT of photos with my digital camera, there's a group of our friends and family joining us. My questions is concerning the downloading/saving photos to a cd. Is the ship equipped with anything to accomodate the digital camera users, or do I just go out and purchase more memory cards? :confused: What is your experience with this?

Thanks!

Naomi

I don't know what type of storage device you have on your camera but some of the newer ones have very high capacity. Depending on what you consider a lot of pictures, you might not have to do a download. If in doubt I'd buy another "card" before you leave. I wouldn't want to pay the shipboard prices either.

I have a 258mg card and that holds like 228 pictures on the second highest quality setting on my camera. I take a lot of pictures each day and then delete the ones I don't want. I also take my portable DVD player with me, I can hook my camera up to that and show every one the pictures kind of like a slide show. It nice each night to all sit together and look through them.

With the price of digital media falling rapidly, the least-cost option might could be just to stock up on extra cards. Given the image size/resolution that I shoot most with, I have capacity for over 3000 pics.

I've been pricing memory cards for awhile and the lowest I've seen 256 Mb Compact Flash cards is $50-$60. 128Mb are in the $30-$40 range. Many of the photo shops on board will write to a CD for (I think I heard) $8. It would probably be nice to have a spare memory card though because it may take them a day or two to move your pics to a CD. However, you probably don't need more than 1 memory card and a spare. Being able to store 400-500 pics on 3-4 cards could get quite expensive while emptying the cards on CD could be more economical. And, as stated before, we brought our laptop and copied pics from the memory card to the computer instead of paying for CDs.

Check out some information on this thread entitiled:

New Self-Service Digital Photo Printing Kiosks Introduced Aboard Carnival's Fun Ships

I posted some information I received from Carnival along with the original posting about the service.

Lorna

I've been pricing memory cards for awhile and the lowest I've seen 256 Mb Compact Flash cards is $50-$60. 128Mb are in the $30-$40 range. Many of the photo shops on board will write to a CD for (I think I heard) $8. It would probably be nice to have a spare memory card though because it may take them a day or two to move your pics to a CD. However, you probably don't need more than 1 memory card and a spare. Being able to store 400-500 pics on 3-4 cards could get quite expensive while emptying the cards on CD could be more economical. And, as stated before, we brought our laptop and copied pics from the memory card to the computer instead of paying for CDs.

If you have a Sams Club in your area they have a 256mb card for 37.99 right now.All 3 types of cards (sticks also) were the same price. Hope that helps. Mariann

I always bring my laptop. You can take too many pictures go back to your cabin and download to laptop and delete 75% of them and now you have a clean memory card. We also watch movies or play games on the airplane. You also can use your laptop in the internet cafe on the ship, same charges apply.

I take my laptop also. I take a zillion pics....download them onto the laptop each night......delete probably 75% for one reason or another and start fresh the next day with fresh batteries (also take battery charger) and empty memory stick. Piece of cake ! ! :D

I've been pricing memory cards for awhile and the lowest I've seen 256 Mb Compact Flash cards is $50-$60.
If you've been pricing cards for awhile then you'll know that the prices you just quoted above are close to half of what they were selling for just a year ago.

See the prior poster's info regarding Sam's Club. Costco has similar pricing.

Also eBay is a gret place to acquire extra cards. I scored most of mine there, not paying more than $35 each. This was back when they were going for $80-90 each at the brick-and-mortar stores.

I'm on vacation. I do not want to be wasting my time screwing around at the kiosk or waiting for someone in the photo lab to process my card, when I can be outside taking more pics.

Thanks for the great advice! I do believe I will now just buy another "big" memory card. That seems the best way. You're right....why wait for my pics to be downloaded when I can be out taking even more pics! These boards are great, I'm new to them, and I have found such wonderful tips as I'm planning our cruise.

:)

Archived