How to get to Harrison Caves?

Noreen411

Hi

I see that Harrison Caves have reopened. We would like to go there when our ship stops in Barbados.

I've been checking the Royal Caribbean website daily to see if they've added an excursion to get to the caves and so far nothing.

Is this something we can do on our own? How would we get to the Caves? How much does admission to the Caves cost?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Noreen

Try Glory Tours. Sarah, from there is most helpful. We are scheduled for a tour of the Caves with Sarah in February. The cost of admission is $40.00 US, and we are having a private tour (6 of us) from the dock to the caves plus tour for approximately 3 hours total. Our cost is $45 per person!

https://glorytours.org/reservations.html

Hope this helps.

Phil:)

• 2 weeks later...

When we were in Barbados during a cruise several years ago, we arranged with a taxi driver that we met outside the cruise terminal to take our group on a tour of Bermuda and specified particular places that we wanted to see. One of them was Harrison's Caves, which we really enjoyed, and a stop to swim :eek: on the East coast which was quite an experience. At the end of the tour, we were dropped off in downtown Bridgetown to grab something to eat and to explore the shops. I don't recall the price but it was quite reasonable and we got a tour that fit our interests. The driver was extremely accommodating and provided us with a running commentary about the island, its history etc. :)

When we were in Barbados during a cruise several years ago, we arranged with a taxi driver that we met outside the cruise terminal to take our group on a tour of Bermuda and specified particular places that we wanted to see. One of them was Harrison's Caves, which we really enjoyed, and a stop to swim :eek: on the East coast which was quite an experience. At the end of the tour, we were dropped off in downtown Bridgetown to grab something to eat and to explore the shops. I don't recall the price but it was quite reasonable and we got a tour that fit our interests. The driver was extremely accommodating and provided us with a running commentary about the island, its history etc. :)

I really should read my posts before clicking the post reply button. Obviously my previous message should have said "Barbados" and not "Bermuda":o:o

Does anyone know if Harrison's Cave is open permanently now? I want to visit during our port call in July, but the Carnival website shows that it will be closed (I wouldn't be booking with them, just looking for info). I know that they have been undergoing a renovation to some of the facilities, but I believe that was started in early 2007.

Hi All,

I was told by Glory Tours that the caves are open now, but not on Monday or Tuesday. They may begin to open on those days in the future, but as of now are not open on Monday or Tuesday. I really wanted to see the caves too, but our ship is in port on Tuesday.:(

Sherry

I just sent them an e-mail asking for more information. I'll post their reply when I get it.

I sent them an email before I posted and still haven't heard back which concerns me. The Carnival website says they are closed from something like April - September. Hopefully that is from 2007 and they just haven't updated, as I would definitely like to visit.

Sherry, I'm fortunate in that our ship will be in port on a Wednesday, so we may be in luck!

According to the website Harrison Caves are now opened 7 days a week except for Good Friday April 6 and Easter Sunday April 8.

Also the $40 pp admission cited in an earlier post is in Barbados Dollars so it is $20 US. That probably causes lots of confusion. When we made a port call earlier this year in Barbados we were by a traveler who was there before when discussing prices, particularly w/ cab drivers to make sure whose dollars the quoted price was in.

We liked Barbados and will be going back for a week in May. We will be seeing the caves as we didn't get a chance during our port call in November. :cool:

According to the website Harrison Caves are now opened 7 days a week except for Good Friday April 6 and Easter Sunday April 8.

Also the $40 pp admission cited in an earlier post is in Barbados Dollars so it is $20 US. That probably causes lots of confusion. When we made a port call earlier this year in Barbados we were by a traveler who was there before when discussing prices, particularly w/ cab drivers to make sure whose dollars the quoted price was in.

We liked Barbados and will be going back for a week in May. We will be seeing the caves as we didn't get a chance during our port call in November. :cool:

How did you get to the caves? RCI doesn't offer this, or if they do, it might be part of a bigger sightseeing tour. I'm wondering if we could just take a cab to the caves, but I wanted to hear what other people had done.

I did send an email when I got on the Harrison's Cave site, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

we went to the caves in January and it was great we did it thru Glory Tours... we encountered some problems thru Glory but the price was right. The price to get into the caves is $20 US, but it is far away and a taxi could get expensive.

Note if you take the Bajan Highlights thru Glory it says it is a half day but it ended up being a whole day.. so be prepared also included snorkeling with the turtles. The company they contract for this needs to be replaced by Sarah said they are looking at doing just that.

I think you can do this on your own... but the price will probably work out to be the same if you go by taxi; however renting a car and going should be more economical -- the roads were quite easy to manage compared to some other ports like St. Lucia and Grenada.

Enjoy the caves, they are pretty cool

Hi

We just returned from our cruise on the Explorer of the Seas.

On our day in Barbados, I really wanted to go to the Harrison Caves. There wasn't an excursion through Royal Caribbean available. Another couple we met on the ship was also interested in going.

When we docked, we asked in the tourism office about the cost of a cab to the Caves and it was something like $30 pp round trip. We asked about the cost of renting a car - about $95 for the day.

We rented a car and were on our way. We got lost a few times, but that was part of the fun. The other fun thing was driving on the "wrong" side of the road with the steering wheel in the wrong place. I guess it's not the wrong side in Barbados or other places, but coming from the US it was a little confusing. I got to be the back seat driver and kept saying stay left, stay left - it was definitely an adventure. My husband enjoyed driving on the opposite side (probably more politically correct than referring to it as the wrong side) than we're used to.

We found the Caves. It was $20 per person to get in. The sign is in Barbados $ and says $40 but it's $20 US Dollars. It was really a good tour. We've never been to any other caves, but the couple we were with were also in Caves in Puerto Rico and said these were much better.

It started with a short movie about Barbados and the caves in general. Then you get into these little buggies (for lack of a better term to call the vehicles). There is a tour guide who points things out throughout the tour. You also have the opportunity to get out of the vehicle at a few points during the tour.

I highly recommend the Harrison Caves - it was a great excursion. Everything there was in pristine condition.

Getting back to the car rental - another great choice. After touring the Caves, we stopped at a beach for a while. We then drove to the Hilton and had lunch poolside before returning to the port.

Enjoy

Noreen

We encountered some problems thru Glory but the price was right. The price to get into the caves is $20 US, but it is far away and a taxi could get expensive.

Can you expand on this? Was it the problem with the snorkeling company? We are looking to using Glory Tours next year for a tour that includes the cave, but no glass bottom tour. So I am just curious if you had other problems too.

Thanks. :)

Archived