All things Independence of the Seas

I have the Compasses but they are packed away and I am really overwhelmed right now trying to get ready to catch up with Mariner --leaving Friday.

There were plenty of activities and the entertainment was geared mostly to the British pax but I enjoyed it very much. A lot of people could not relate to some of the references and jokes however. No need for worry though.

I'm thinking there were 3 formal nights.

We were on the Indy transatlantic and it was a most enjoyable cruise.

Actually, I was prepared NOT to like this ship because of size but it is just like Mariner on steroids and did not seem crowded (except for elevators). There were plenty of activities for all those sea days (altho I did not participate in many--read, instead). Will be happy to answer any specific questions.

We have switched to the Indy transatlantic for Nov. 22, 2009. How were the seas? Did she handle them well? What activities did they have? This will be our fifth transatlantic and we have had 2 smooth crossings and 2 rough ones. How did the Windjammer compare with other RCCL ships? Thanks for any input!

Edited by tally10

Going through the Bay of Biscaye was rough (usually is) and a lot of people were sick (did not bother us so just guess it will depend how sensitive you are). The weather was great and after we left Funchal it was HOT! We did a more southerly route than you will be doing and you will be two weeks later but you should still have pretty nice weather. I am convinced that the fall ta is better than the spring but they keep pushing the fall later and later.

The Windjammer had a lot of British foods (mushy peas, English bacon, etc.) and that was fine with me as I like all of those and found it to be a nice change. There were also tea kettles & tea in the rooms. While I like tea a lot, I did not use these but I'm sure many appreciated having it available.

I was a bit disappointed in the desserts in the WJ but thats OK too--I surely don't need them.

Hello - just joining this thread. Sailed on Indy last June in the Med and loved it! Will be on her again this coming May - again round the Med.

My question is - when do they announce who will be the Cruise Director and where do you find out? We had Graham Seymour last year and he was just fantastic. Brilliant sense of humour. I'm sure I read somewhere (perhaps elsewhere on this site??) that he is going to be back on Indy his summer - but is there any way of finding out for sure?

I know it doesn't really matter who the CD is - but it would be just great to have Graham again.

Many thanks!

Going through the Bay of Biscaye was rough (usually is) and a lot of people were sick (did not bother us so just guess it will depend how sensitive you are). The weather was great and after we left Funchal it was HOT! We did a more southerly route than you will be doing and you will be two weeks later but you should still have pretty nice weather. I am convinced that the fall ta is better than the spring but they keep pushing the fall later and later.

The Windjammer had a lot of British foods (mushy peas, English bacon, etc.) and that was fine with me as I like all of those and found it to be a nice change. There were also tea kettles & tea in the rooms. While I like tea a lot, I did not use these but I'm sure many appreciated having it available.

I was a bit disappointed in the desserts in the WJ but thats OK too--I surely don't need them.

We did a crossing on the Brilliance last December and you are right, after Funchal, it was quite warm (we brought all of the wrong clothes). The pools were packed. We have been so lucky with the Bay of Biscay on all of our cruises, so naturally I want to be prepared on this one. I wear the patch but sometimes the side to side movement from the wind bothers me. Had huge seas the last time and the Jewel handled them just fine, but I do worry. I guess that will be the negative from switching from the more southerly route with the Equinox. Thanks for the info!

My question is - when do they announce who will be the Cruise Director and where do you find out? We had Graham Seymour last year and he was just fantastic. Brilliant sense of humour.

I couldn't agree more, we did I.O.S August and October last year and he was very good, a typical laconic, sarcastic, ironic 'British' sense of humour, I loved it, especially his morning TV show.:D

Will be looking to go on I.O.S later in the year, I do hope Graham is back on board.

Jim.

Is there anyone that has been on the Independence 6 day caribbean cruise? I was curious to know if by any chance that they hosted a Meet & Mingle for you? There is a bunch of us from CC that are sailing on March 15th. I know that they normally only do M&M for 7 day cruises. I recall reading seveal months ago that if the numbers were large enough that they would consider doing one. I can't seem to locate where I read that though.

Would anyone have the email address for the CD or Loyal Ambassador for the Independence?

Another question I have is, what is there to do in Costa Maya? Does anyone recommend anything to do there or beaches to go to?

Thanks

Eric

Is there anyone that has been on the Independence 6 day caribbean cruise? I was curious to know if by any chance that they hosted a Meet & Mingle for you? There is a bunch of us from CC that are sailing on March 15th. I know that they normally only do M&M for 7 day cruises. I recall reading seveal months ago that if the numbers were large enough that they would consider doing one. I can't seem to locate where I read that though.

Would anyone have the email address for the CD or Loyal Ambassador for the Independence?

Another question I have is, what is there to do in Costa Maya? Does anyone recommend anything to do there or beaches to go to?

Thanks

Eric

Sorry... there were no CC party on the 6 day cruise. When you try to sign up it tells you since the cruise is less than 7 days they do not have a CC party. You will need to organized a meeting place and time. A good place to meet is by the pool bar. Since the lifeboat drill is around 4:30 you want to meet earlier. There is not much to do in Costa Maya. They have stores by the ship and a large swimming pool. I was on the IOS during Christmas and New Years (B2B). It's a wonderful ship!!!

Thanks

Eric

Eric,

We were also on the Christmas 6 Day cruise and Costa Maya was our favorite port! We went on the Mayan Ruin tour with Native Choice and it was amazing! There's tons of info on the Costa Maya Port of Call board!

Enjoy the trip, she's a great ship!

M.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

Do any of you have balcony pics from 1404? We're taking her sister ship, Liberty of the Seas and I'm having a hard time finding pics on the web.

thanks, Mary

Mary,

Check out this reveiw that has pic of cabin #1406. Hope this helps.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=924211

• 2 months later...
We just booked cabin 6336 (E2 balcony in the middle of the hump) for the March 15th 6 day Western Caribbean. It will be just DH and me (our first cruise!) to celebrate my 40th birthday and our 14th wedding anniversary 10 days later. We are very excited.

Thanks for all the good info, and I love the pictures!

Question: would you suggest a large or small table for dining request? We prefer to eat alone generally.

do you have photos of cabin 6336?

• 2 months later...

sounds to me you would be better off sailing on a yacht for one....then you wouldnt run the risk of having to endure the butlins crowd,,,you could cook your own food to how its supposed to be done,,,pay over the odds ,,,,who thought snobbery was being subdued from cruising ,,far from it!!!! ............did you get your monies worth on independance of the seas or was it over priced for what you expected to receive..........one last thing just have a look at the inside cabin prices for the azura and compare them to 5 years ago on any P&O ship for an inside cabin,,then tell me its tosh!!!!!

sounds to me you would be better off sailing on a yacht for one....then you wouldnt run the risk of having to endure the butlins crowd,,,you could cook your own food to how its supposed to be done,,,pay over the odds ,,,,who thought snobbery was being subdued from cruising ,,far from it!!!! ............did you get your monies worth on independance of the seas or was it over priced for what you expected to receive..........one last thing just have a look at the inside cabin prices for the azura and compare them to 5 years ago on any P&O ship for an inside cabin,,then tell me its tosh!!!!!

Dear, dear Why answer a comment placed a P&O thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1018909&page=2 here in Royal Caribbean thread? Maybe this will help http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=zwdiK3qwcOcC&lpg=PP1&dq=computing%20for%20dummies&pg=PP1

Oh and if that's a bit hard, in answer to "have a look at the inside cabin prices for the azura and compare them to 5 years ago" I didn't realise you were talking about steerage, and in that case it's a good thing the prices for steerage are going up, cruisers in balconies and suites have been subsidising that crowd for years!:eek::D

Dear, dear Why answer a comment placed a P&O thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1018909&page=2 here in Royal Caribbean thread? Maybe this will help http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=zwdiK3qwcOcC&lpg=PP1&dq=computing%20for%20dummies&pg=PP1

Oh and if that's a bit hard, in answer to "have a look at the inside cabin prices for the azura and compare them to 5 years ago" I didn't realise you were talking about steerage, and in that case it's a good thing the prices for steerage are going up, cruisers in balconies and suites have been subsidising that crowd for years!:eek::D

As a "steerage" passenger I find your comments so funny ! The thought of the "upper class" in balconies and suites subsiding my cruise gives me a warm feeling

Edited by bobstheboy

as you have just pointed out inside cabin prices have risen so therefore pro rata every other cabin class prices are rising ,,,check a book on mathematics for dummies ,the numbers add up...keep adding the cruises you are going on ,so therefore me and others can bypass those,,god help the poor buggers who have to put up with your presence,,newsflash new ship coming out for you in 2012 COSTA PACKET moana class..........make cruising accessable for all and not just the stuck up lot!!!!!!!!!!

as you have just pointed out inside cabin prices have risen so therefore pro rata every other cabin class prices are rising ,,,check a book on mathematics for dummies ,the numbers add up...keep adding the cruises you are going on ,so therefore me and others can bypass those,,god help the poor buggers who have to put up with your presence,,newsflash new ship coming out for you in 2012 COSTA PACKET moana class..........make cruising accessable for all and not just the stuck up lot!!!!!!!!!!

I never pointed out prices for inside cabins were going up, I said in reply to your statement " it's a good thing the prices for steerage are going up" So I don't need your maths books and "Therefore pro rata every other cabin class prices are rising " is all well and good in your mind, but you give no evidence at all. I travelled on Oceana 5 years ago and paid around £220 a night for a mid-ships balcony and five years on I've just travelled on Ventura for the same price and booked on Celeb for next year at the same price, so I have the facts, you however seem to be just talking "Tosh"

I'm all for ships without inside cabins, having talked to many staff on numerous lines they all say that inside a larger percentage of inside cabin users cause more problems on ships, and also cost more to feed as many off them feel the need to eat like pigs at every opportunity, and also moan more even though they paid two bob for the trip.

On Your "make cruising accessible for all and not just the stuck up lot!!!!!!!!!!" Perhaps they should offer free cabins for people on the dole as well? Or maybe P&O & other lines should go round towns/citys and invite a few tramps on as well, and you can subsidise them, you'd be the first to moan then!:cool:

I never pointed out prices for inside cabins were going up, I said in reply to your statement " it's a good thing the prices for steerage are going up" So I don't need your maths books and "Therefore pro rata every other cabin class prices are rising " is all well and good in your mind, but you give no evidence at all. I travelled on Oceana 5 years ago and paid around £220 a night for a mid-ships balcony and five years on I've just travelled on Ventura for the same price and booked on Celeb for next year at the same price, so I have the facts, you however seem to be just talking "Tosh"

I'm all for ships without inside cabins, having talked to many staff on numerous lines they all say that inside a larger percentage of inside cabin users cause more problems on ships, and also cost more to feed as many off them feel the need to eat like pigs at every opportunity, and also moan more even though they paid two bob for the trip.

On Your "make cruising accessible for all and not just the stuck up lot!!!!!!!!!!" Perhaps they should offer free cabins for people on the dole as well? Or maybe P&O & other lines should go round towns/citys and invite a few tramps on as well, and you can subsidise them, you'd be the first to moan then!:cool:

What a nice person you are.

..........I'm all for ships without inside cabins, having talked to many staff on numerous lines they all say that inside a larger percentage of inside cabin users cause more problems on ships, and also cost more to feed as many off them feel the need to eat like pigs at every opportunity, and also moan more even though they paid two bob for the trip...........

Where to begin!:eek:

Carhirer

Inside Cabin Aug 2009 IoS Europe - And Proud Of It!

And so back to the purpose of this thread, RCCL's Independence of the Seas...anyone got anything to add?...perhaps you have just returned from a cruise on her...maybe some suggestions/ideas etc you would like to pass onto those yet to sail this beautiful ship.:D