Easy Instructions for doing Virgin Gorda on your own!

CaribbeanBound

Let me clarify my last question a little more. IF for some reason the 1230 ferry from speedys were to break down and we had to be back to the ship by 3 is there any other services that will get me back to the ship? Would speedys send another ferry out? Thanks again. MEG

megsterl...

Since none of us actually represent the ferry companies, we can't give you a definitive answer. However, there is no question in my mind that the ferry companies wouldn't do everything they could to replace the broken down ferry by bringing another into service. Yes, I would expect that a second ferry would be brought out and that 2.5 hours is probably 1.75 hours more than they would need to do it. (They can get a new ferry over to Virgin Gorda from Tortola in less than 45 minutes).

There is a Speedy's ferry at 12 (if you docked a little early) and a Smith's ferry at 12:30. Speedy's and Smith's both have 5pm returns from Virgin Gorda, and Smith's has another at 6. So, yes, you could definitely do it. The ferry ride is 30 minutes, and the Baths are less than a 10 min. cab ride from the ferry dock in VG.

CaribbeanBound,

Sorry for the silly question but when I look at those schedules for Speedy's and Smith's I can't tell where we are trying to go! Are we going from Tortola to Virgin Gorda and back? Sorry to be so stupid but the times/schedules are confusing.

Thanks,

Barbara

CaribbeanBound,

Sorry for the silly question but when I look at those schedules for Speedy's and Smith's I can't tell where we are trying to go! Are we going from Tortola to Virgin Gorda and back? Sorry to be so stupid but the times/schedules are confusing.

Thanks,

Barbara

Hi Fun_one.

You're looking for RoadTown to Virgin Gorda and the reverse. RoadTown is the town in Tortolla where the cruise ships dock.

Have a great cruise!

I have the same 7:00-3:00 timetable. According to their website Smith's also has a ferry coming back at 1:00 that I plan on taking. I don't think I will chance the 2:15 ferry. We'll just get back a little early and stroll around before getting on the ship. What I'm wondering about is if we can be off of the ship early enough to catch the 7:00 am ferry over to Virgin Gorda. My wife or sis-in-law may punch me out for even suggesting that while on vaca.

Here is the schedule: http://www.smithsferry.com/virgingorda.php

ok, bear with me, please, while I try to figure this out.

I want to do the Baths but am not a swimmer. (DO I need to be?- I keep reading varying reports)

We are arriving on the Norwegian Jewel on Monday at 10 am, departing at 6:30 pm. The ship is charging $59 per person to go to the Baths.

So, to do it on our own, we leave the pier and walk to the Ferry terminal (about 15 minutes - how much is a cab if we were really lazy?)

Board the Speedy's Ferry at 10:30 in Tortola ($50 for both of us) and arrive at Virgin GOrda around 11:15 - am I right so far?

Take a taxi (included in the Speedy's price) to the Baths. How far is the Baths? Pay $6 for both of us to enter the Baths.

What time do we need to catch a taxi back for the 3:30 ferry?

So, this would be $56 plus tips for both of us vs. the $118 the ship is charging... canI use US money or do I need to exchange currency?

thanks in advance for checking my details. I appreciate all the help...

I want to do the Baths but am not a swimmer. (DO I need to be?- I keep reading varying reports)

ANSWER: no you don't need to be a swimmer.

We are arriving on the Norwegian Jewel on Monday at 10 am, departing at 6:30 pm. The ship is charging $59 per person to go to the Baths. So, to do it on our own, we leave the pier and walk to the Ferry terminal (about 15 minutes - how much is a cab if we were really lazy?).

ANSWER: don't know, but it is an easy, short, level walk. You'll find a map here: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

Board the Speedy's Ferry at 10:30 in Tortola ($50 for both of us) and arrive at Virgin GOrda around 11:15 - am I right so far?

ANSWER: sounds pretty good to me. Should arrive in 30-35 minutes.

Take a taxi (included in the Speedy's price) to the Baths. How far is the Baths? Pay $6 for both of us to enter the Baths.

ANSWER: Right. About 10 minutes.

ANSWER: 3:00

So, this would be $56 plus tips for both of us vs. the $118 the ship is charging... canI use US money or do I need to exchange currency?

ANSWER: US Money works just dandy!

ANSWER: no you don't need to be a swimmer.

We are arriving on the Norwegian Jewel on Monday at 10 am, departing at 6:30 pm. The ship is charging $59 per person to go to the Baths. So, to do it on our own, we leave the pier and walk to the Ferry terminal (about 15 minutes - how much is a cab if we were really lazy?).

ANSWER: don't know, but it is an easy, short, level walk. You'll find a map here: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

ANSWER: sounds pretty good to me. Should arrive in 30-35 minutes.

ANSWER: Right. About 10 minutes.

ANSWER: 3:00

ANSWER: US Money works just dandy!

many, many thanks :)

Some quick questions on this one.

Speedy's has discount rates for kids (5-11) at $15 R/T. What is the price for Smith's? Adults and kids.

How far is the walk from the cruise dock to the ferry dock?

If my ship departs Tortola at 3:30 pm (Carnival Liberty), will I have enough time to get back if I take the 2:15 on Smith's back to Tortola?

thanks

Some quick questions on this one.

Speedy's has discount rates for kids (5-11) at $15 R/T. What is the price for Smith's? Adults and kids.

How far is the walk from the cruise dock to the ferry dock?

If my ship departs Tortola at 3:30 pm (Carnival Liberty), will I have enough time to get back if I take the 2:15 on Smith's back to Tortola?

thanks

from the other posts, the walk from the cruise ship is 10-15 minutes, if your ship docks. If you tender, the tender arrives at the ferry dock.

The 2:15 ferry should get you back to the ferry dock around 3 pm and then you have the 15 minute walk. It would leave no room for error. Others on this thread have advised taking the ships tour for 3 pm departures because of the time constraints.

from the other posts, the walk from the cruise ship is 10-15 minutes, if your ship docks. If you tender, the tender arrives at the ferry dock.

The 2:15 ferry should get you back to the ferry dock around 3 pm and then you have the 15 minute walk. It would leave no room for error. Others on this thread have advised taking the ships tour for 3 pm departures because of the time constraints.

Thanks, but I'll just take the 1 pm Smith's back if the price is similar to Speedy's. It's not worth it to me to pay double to the ship. I'll just come back a little earlier.

Hi every-body - I have a couple more questions - We will be in Tortola from 8 until 4 on a Weds - I checked the cruise cal and we will be the only ship there - which means we will be docked??? and not tendered???

Will we be able to take the 2:15 ferry back with no problem getting to the ship for a 4pm departure? IF we are unfortunate enough to miss the ferry is there an alternate way back - taxi?? or are we doomed!!!

One more questions - is there any shopping around the docks for gifts etc.

Thanks!

The two of you can easily do this on your own. Grab the first possible ferry over and take the 12:30pm back. I can't say with any certainty that it will not be 100% full, but I can tell you that the 4 trips we have taken (2 each way), the ferry was 5% to 50% filled.

I would not have any worries about making this work. Enjoy Virgin Gorda.

Ferry Schedules: http://www.bviwelcome.com/ferries.html

Assuming you are there Monday to Saturday...

Smith's: take the 8:50 am ferry over and the 2:15 pm ferry back

Speedy's: take the 9:00am ferry over and the 12:30 pm ferry back

Under these scenarios, I'd shoot for Smith's Ferry.

If you are there on a Sunday...

Smith's: won't work for your schedule on Sunday.

Speedy's: take the 8:00am ferry over and the 1:00 pm ferry back

Although our cruise isn't for another year!!!! LOL I am really interested in seeing the baths. By the looks of the ferry schedule it doesn't look like we will be able to do this. We will be there on a thurs from 7am until 1pm. Any suggestions?

Although our cruise isn't for another year!!!! LOL I am really interested in seeing the baths. By the looks of the ferry schedule it doesn't look like we will be able to do this. We will be there on a thurs from 7am until 1pm. Any suggestions?

see if it's available as a ship tour. Technically, if there was a ship tour at 8 am you would get to the baths by 9 and wouldn't have to leave until 12. I would ONLY do those tight times if on a ship tour where you know they wait for you.

Archived