Summit vs Emerald Princess vs HAL Zuiderdam

leavnofingerprints

We're planning an eastern Mediterrean cruise in the spring of 2009 so I've been doing some research using June of 08 as a guide. Now I'm down to these three ships and can't decide. The itineraries are very similar and any one would make us happy, so it all boils down to the ship. We've been on the M class before and liked it, as a matter of fact it's my favorite out of all our 9 cruises on various lines. But we haven't cruised either HAL or Princess before. After reading all the negative reviews across the board, I have to admit that I'm getting concerned about the decline in quality.

I'll be posting this same post on both HAL and Princess as well. I realize that each board will be slanted toward their line but I welcome any input.

LNF

i also sail princess and was going to do the Emerald but i read 50 negitive reviews. they are doing something wrong. never been on Celebrity but going on the new Solstice. HAL is owned by Carnival. that should be a clue right there.

i am about done with ships owned by carnival.

Got of the EP in November. Not a great ship. The theater layout was a joke (and small seats), and I didn't care for their breakfast. Actually, food overall ws not that great. Two BIG strikes in my book. Traffic flow was also a problem. I will say that I had an outside cabin with balcony and it was one of the best cabins I've ever had. Given that you don't spend that much time in your cabin, I'd go either HAL or X.

I have been on Celebrity's M Class and I've been on HAL's Vista Class ships.

What do you want out of this cruise?

HAL traditionally has a much older clientel on European Itineraries.

What level of cabin?

Many of HAL's cabin catagories are much larger than on Celebrity.

I think the food on both lines is almost equal with a extra plus going to HAL on their buffets and room service.

I like Celebrity's M Class Ships way better than HAL's Vista Class Ships.

If cost and itinerary are equal and you are staying in an Aft CC or above catagory of cabin on Celebrity, I would choose Celebrity.

If cost and itinerary are equal and you are staying in an outside or balcony cabin, I would choose HAL.

Regardless of which line you choose to cruise with, you will have a wonderful time on either line.

We've been on most of X's M-class ships, 2 of HAL's vista class ships, and one of Princess' Grand class ships. For food, I like X best, HAL close second & Princess third. For service & space ratio, I like X best, HAL second, and Princess is not even in the running.

Basically we'll only be using the ship as a hotel. With an itinerary that is this port-intensive, I don't expect to be on the ship for much more than breakfast, an occasional dinner and to sleep. Normally I wouldn't consider anything less than a balcony cabin but all things considered, I'm thinking an oceanview this time.

Beth

I've traveled Princess before, but not the EP. Princess normally has better excursions if that's a concern. Of course, if it's not and you are going to book privately on your own, then it sounds like EP is not the way to go.

Archived