alexandria - tough decision about which excursion to take

commonsense2

i'm having a very diffucult time deciding between 3 excursions offered by the ship in alexandria. i'll be traveling solo (and our roll call is dead). these are offered by costa, but are likely similar to what the other lines offer. i'm leaning towards #2, but after reading about the horrendous traffic jams in cairo i'm rethinking that option. thanks for your opinions.

#1 CAIRO, PYRAMIDS OF GIZAH AND LUNCH ON THE NILE

The journey to Cairo lasts approximately 3 hours, a drive through reclaimed, cultivated desert, and modern industrial towns. Arriving in Cairo, Africa’s largest city, your first stop will be the Citadel of Saladin and the Alabaster Mosque of Mohamed Ali. Admire the exquisite interiors of the Mosque and view the fascinating skyline of Old Cairo from the top of the hill. Drive downtown to the banks of the River Nile where a luxurious cruise boat awaits to take you on the same timeless waterway traversed by Pharaohs, Queens and Nobles thousands of years ago. Enjoy a sumptuous buffet lunch in elaborate surroundings as you glide past Cairo’s waterfront landmark. After the cruise drive to the Giza Plateau where the only remaining Wonder of the Ancient World, The Great Pyramids of Giza are found. A panoramic view of the three pyramids from the Western Plateau affords great opportunities for photographs, before your coach parks near the Pyramid of Chephren where time will be allocated to explore the site. . Continue down the valley to visit the guardian of this complex, the mysterious Sphinx. Your next stop will be at a Papyrus Institute where the art of paper making from reeds will be demonstrated and there will be time for souvenir shopping before you return to Alexandria. spacer.gifPay attention Please note: The duration of the excursion is 12 hours, 7 of which are spent on a coach. Comfortable walking shoes and sun hat are recommended. Shoulders and knees must be covered while visiting the mosque. Shoes must be removed while in the mosque.

#2 THE EGYPTIAN MUSEUM AND THE PYRAMIDS OF GIZA

From Alexandria, a coach trip takes you through the desert to the cultural centre of the Arab world- Cairo. A fascinating metropolis that straddles the Nile River, Cairo is a study of worlds from different times. After visiting the museum, you will leave behind modern Cairo for the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Like gigantic skyscrapers that soar from the desert floor, the Pyramids are the world’s most fascinating monuments: Cheops, Kefren, Mycherinos and the famous Sphinx whose bemused eyes surely will cast a spell on you and other camera clickers (bring plenty of film!). You will have a delicious lunch at one of the area’s luxury hotels. Before returning to the ship, you’ll stop at a papyrus workshop and have time for shopping in one store. spacer.gifPay attention Please note: The duration of the excursion is 12,5 hours, 7 of which are spent on a coach. Entrance inside the pyramid is not included. The order of the itinerary stops may vary. Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.The visit to the Mummies’ Hall is not included in the guided tour. It is not permitted to bring your purse into the museum. It is not permitted to take photos inside the museum.

#3 SAQQARA, MEMPHIS AND THE PYRAMIDS OF GIZA

Leaving Alexandria, you will travel by coach across the desert to Saqqara, site of the famous step pyramid of Pharaoh Zoser and the Mastaba of Mereruka, which is the oldest stone structure built on such a grand scale. The tour makes its way to the old capital Memphis, where you will see the alabaster Sphinx and the statue of Ramses II. You will continue to the pyramid valley of Cheops, Chefren and Micherinos and the popular Sphinx. After lunch you will stop at a papyrus workshop and a store for shopping before returning to the ship. spacer.gifPay attention Please note: The duration of the excursion is 12,5 hours, 7 of which are spent on a coach. Entrance inside the pyramid is not included. The order of itinerary stops may vary. Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.

While they all sound wonderful, I would agree with you that #2 would be my choice. The Egyptian museum is fabulous. You will not have enough time there, but you will get to see most of top items. The pyramids are beyond compare. If you have time at the pyramids, visit the Solar Boat. It was used to transort one of the Pharaohs to his final resting place in the pyramid. It was buried in the sand for 5,000 years or so. It was discover and is not displayed in a museum there.

I would offer the following: The Egyptian museum, as paul says, is huge, untidy and really needs a lot of time, so if you think you will return to Egypt one day, I might consider skipping Cairo altogether and opting for the Saqqara trip.

Again, as paul mentioned, do go to the Solar Boat Museum alongside the Khufu (Cheops) pyramid - it is quite special. There are actually five boat pits associated with Khufu, and at least one other still contains a dismantled boat just like the one now reconstructed.

It may be a heretical UK-based thought, but if you could persuade the powers that be to leave out the Papyrus workshop and the shopping store, you could have more time to see the good stuff?

It may be a heretical UK-based thought, but if you could persuade the powers that be to leave out the Papyrus workshop and the shopping store, you could have more time to see the good stuff?

i wish. i loathe the forced shopping stop. i'll people watch outside and have a smoke.

:) we did port said/alexandria in Dec .it was an overnight ..is yours an overnite..docking in 1port and picking you up in the other ? if so I have more info...if its just a day in alexandria I too would go with #2 and dont leave without taking a camel ride...it was one of the highlights of our trip

Having spent 24 days in Egypt in February 2007, I would vote for tour #2. Yes, the traffic is extremely bad in Cairo but will be encountered to some degree with whichever tour you choose. But, you will not have to do the driving! The museum needs at least two days to do it justice. But is definitely not to be missed. Depending on what your interest in ancient Egypt is, can determine what you focus on in the museum. It goes without saying that the most popular displays are from the tomb of King Tutankhamen. The royal mummy exhibit was an additional 50 Eqyptian pounds ($10 US ) . Yes, it is a little dusty and shabby but the treasures there are worth the visit.

If you are interested in purchasing a papyrus as a souvenir then the "get out and shop stop" may be worthwhile. They do give a demonstration on how they make papyrus paper and the finished paintings are beautiful. But, you don't have to go in.

All of the tours have their own merit. Seeing the city of Cairo is not to be missed. Even a bus ride gives you a small overview of a completely different culture, one that is very vibrant and interesting.

:) we did port said/alexandria in Dec .it was an overnight ..is yours an overnite..docking in 1port and picking you up in the other ? if so I have more info...if its just a day in alexandria I too would go with #2 and dont leave without taking a camel ride...it was one of the highlights of our trip

sadly, it is just one day.

thanks to everyone for their opinions.

This is the problem with one day in Egypt. Figuring in that it is three hours from Alex to Cairo, you basically can get in the pyramids and ONE other thing. All of them are fabulous. You just have to make your choice, and hope to get back to Egypt sometime!

The other choice is to book a private tour which you can customize. There are several good companies on this board. If you move quickly and give up shopping, you could probably get to Sakkara, the great pyramid, and at least a quick visit to the Egyptian museum with a private tour.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland2.html

for an overnight which included all of them. Maybe it will help.

Have a GREAT cruise!

This is the problem with one day in Egypt. Figuring in that it is three hours from Alex to Cairo, you basically can get in the pyramids and ONE other thing. All of them are fabulous. You just have to make your choice, and hope to get back to Egypt sometime!

The other choice is to book a private tour which you can customize. There are several good companies on this board. If you move quickly and give up shopping, you could probably get to Sakkara, the great pyramid, and at least a quick visit to the Egyptian museum with a private tour.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland2.html

for an overnight which included all of them. Maybe it will help.

Have a GREAT cruise!

i did send out a couple inquires about private guides and got replies. the cost for one person is not much more than the ship's excursion (and no forced shopping). i normally avoid ship's excusrions if i can, so i know the added-value.

how is the safety factor? the only other hesitation i have is getting back to the ship on-time. our next stop after alexandria is naples, itlay. i'd hate to miss a perfectly lovely sea day.

i did send out a couple inquires about private guides and got replies. the cost for one person is not much more than the ship's excursion (and no forced shopping). i normally avoid ship's excusrions if i can, so i know the added-value.

how is the safety factor? the only other hesitation i have is getting back to the ship on-time. our next stop after alexandria is naples, itlay. i'd hate to miss a perfectly lovely sea day.

A valid question, and one that must always be considered when booking independent tours. I have never heard of anyone having trouble with any of the main companies in Egypt. I know our guide was very time conscious and made sure we were back at the ship in plenty of time. But you have to decide what your comfort level is.

Perhaps since the ship's buses know they will be waited for, they can spend a little more time in the bazaar shopping!;)

Have a GREAT cruise!

i just though i'd give an update for those that were helpful: i did decide to go the private guide route. it includes private transport via a gits van to the pyramids where i will be met by my guide. tour pyramids then proceed to cairo for the museum. cost $165 US and no forced shopping.

I visited all of these places (land tour) and I'm having a hard time deciding which option to suggest!

I would pick #2. I'm not a fan of archaeological museums, but I thoroughly enjoyed visiting the Egyptian Museum. It's not well ventilated, but well worth it. You have to pay extra to see the mummies, but King Tut's artifacts are amazing.

I liked option #1 too because the Alabaster Mosque at the Citadel is beautiful inside and out. If you want a nice break in the day then the lunch will be welcomed.

#3 is OK. I wasn't too impressed with Memphis, but the step pyramid is in Saqqara, which is also on my list of must sees in Egypt.

Archived