Anyone know where Derek Lewis is sailing?

Derek Lewis was a fixture on the Rhapsody of the Seas when she was sailing out of Galveston, and had many loyal and enthusiastic fans. He was the host of Kamikaze kareoke, and was always entertaining and unfailingly polite and friendly if you ran into him off the clock. Anyone know if he is on another RCCL ship these days?

They are advertising "Kamikaze Kareoke" on a recent Cruise Compass I saw, but it was described as "kareoke where you draw the name of your song out of a hat, and if you don't know it, you nominate one of your friends to sing it" which is not how Derek did it. He would size you up, and try to personally select the most unlikely song he can think of. Big macho guys get Madonna songs. Grandma's get "I'm Too Sexy" etc. Once, when I was dressed up in full formal regalia, he made me sing "Achy Breaky Heart." Little did he know I was a cleverly disguised redneck who already (sadly) knew all the words. :o

In a broader sense, does anyone know how to find information on which entertainers are scheduled to play on a given sailing? Lots of these folks (like Derek) do practically nothing except work cruise ship industry, so I wonder if they post their upcoming schedule anywhere. Any info?

You can send an email to this address: web_reservations@rccl.com to get a list of tenative entertainment. It took several days for me to get a response.

Derek Lewis is still on Rhapsody. I am cruising 5/30/08 and he said he'd be on that cruise. Here is his email address: derek_lewis_87501@yahoo.com He writes it on all the cd's he sells of our crazy singing! We had a blast with him on 2 cruises.

Thanks so much! I wondered if he might be back on Rhapsody after her initial Asian stint. I'm guessing he sat that out. I know that lots of Asians, Japanese in particular are huge kareoke fans (having, you know, invented it), but if there aren't many English speakers on board, I don't know how popular his show would be.

I was hoping he'd sail on the Voyager while she's porting in Galveston, since he has lots of really enthusiastic fans in texas. Thanks again for the info.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

we just did a 2 week cruise with him on Voyager

he has 4 days off before heading back to Rhapsody to do Alaska for 5 months

MomDerek.JPG

My MIL just adored him-ending up getting 3 of OUR CDs and 5 of his and 3 shirts

Derek was on our Voyager of the Seas cruise out of Galveston over this past New Years Eve. He is the only person to ever get me up to do Karaoke. I still don't know how he got me to do it. He is a hoot and always remembered me whenever he saw me. If I walked in the Pub he would announce....well Colleen's in the house, lol! Great guy!

Colleen

Derek spent the winter season on Voyager out of Galveston. I was delighted to see him again as I hadn't seen him since Rhapsody's first Australia/New Zealand cruise in the Fall of 2007. I was track one, disk one on that cruise. I didn't know what I was getting into.

Though I hung out at the pub on my VOS cruise in February '09 I refused to get up and sing again. Once was enough! I did buy him another shaker in Cozumel and wrote a message on it: "been there, done that, bought the T shirt"

I did ask him if he was going to Europe on VOS, but he said he doesn't do well on the European cruises. I'm glad he's back on Rhapsody. He has a much better spot there as people have to walk right by him in the lounge. I think it was harder for him to attract "victims" on VOS in the pub.

Archived