Levi Baron bumpiing tours reviews? Anyone?

michalanajon

Thanks to all the reviews and positive posts we have booked with Levi for our Feb 2010 cruise! It will be one of the ports that DH and I will be doing a tour with DM and her friends so we requested a tour with little to no walking. He suggested the fresh water lake, Wotten Sulphur Springs, Botanical Gardens, Morne Bruce and we can also add Champagne Reef if we'd like. My mom is so excited! Levi is very prompt in responding and we are definitely looking forward to it. :)

We were on Dominica last week and took the Bumpiing Tours - Gary was our designated guide. They overbooked our tour and ended up sending us in a separate car with another guide (Matthew), who was very nice (I will dig up his card and post his contact info separately). We followed the Bumpiing van, and was less than pleased with Gary's treatment. We were told that he did not talk at all in the van, and was less than informative about what was going on and where we were going and what was involved in the stop (particularly at Trafalgar Falls, which I thought was way overcrowded and Gary did a poor job of explaining to us what we were going to do and what we should take with us (this seemed to be a problem with alot of guides there, who were allowing people to hike in flip flops and in high heels). At the end, he seemed reluctant to take us to snorkel at Champagne Reef, which we had planned for and had plenty of time for. He finally dropped us off there and spent the time talking with friends at the bar while we walked down to the beach and snorkeled with our own equipment. He said he did not snorkel due to his dreads and never came to get us, which he said he would. We would have spent more time there but we were nervous about being late, since we had no way to judge how long we were out there (and only found out once we trekked back to find him). Not a good experience with Bumpiing overall, though we did like our personal guide.

We are booked with Levi for our cruise in October. Just curious, since we will be on the tour for 5 hours or so... what do you do for lunch/snacks? I have to eat every 2 to 3 hours and I don't know if I should bring food from off the ship to have just in case.

We plan to make the tour "ROSEAU VALLEY TREASURES" with Levi Baron in December.

How many people per van take part on this tour? Is it crowded?

Lissy

They tried to fit 15 on our tour but because my husband is 6'3 the jump seat in front of him simply couldn't fold down, so they moved a family of 3 to a separate car. We still had 12 and it was uncomfortable. I suggest not being the last to get to the van so you can avoid the back seat! We were quite disappointed with our experience, especially after reading so many rave reviews.

We plan to make the tour "ROSEAU VALLEY TREASURES" with Levi Baron in December.

How many people per van take part on this tour? Is it crowded?

Lissy

Levi said he would take no more than 15 on his tour in one van. You can take less if you want to pay more per person and have more room.

Thanks to all the reviews and positive posts we have booked with Levi for our Feb 2010 cruise! It will be one of the ports that DH and I will be doing a tour with DM and her friends so we requested a tour with little to no walking. He suggested the fresh water lake, Wotten Sulphur Springs, Botanical Gardens, Morne Bruce and we can also add Champagne Reef if we'd like. My mom is so excited! Levi is very prompt in responding and we are definitely looking forward to it. :)

On our tour we had Levi since I had specifically asked for him and I had a large group filling up the 15 passenger van. Everyone had a wonderful time. We did the Titoe Gorge (slipery getting down) and I was proud I did it. I was concerned because they talked of current but it was nothing. The only thing it was cold until you got to kicking around some. It was fun. I'm 72 and one of the ladies on our trip was very overweight and walked with a cane because of arthritis, but she was a go getter and did that as well as the Champagne Reef.

We are booked with Levi for our cruise in October. Just curious, since we will be on the tour for 5 hours or so... what do you do for lunch/snacks? I have to eat every 2 to 3 hours and I don't know if I should bring food from off the ship to have just in case.

Make you a bacon sandwich at breakfast. Bring some zip loc bags to put any sandwichs you want to bring. We kind of ate on the run. I think we ate before the Champagne reef thing, but just stood around the van. I think Levi had some drinks. He also had a little first aid for me when I fell and skinned my elbow and knee. Good doctoring to the doctor.

I had the pleasure of taking a tour with Levi on July 14, 2009. I had read all of the raving reviews about this man, but once I began to email him with questions, I knew that he would ensure that our trip would be everything we wanted it to be. I was traveling with my family and friends that we had met on a previous cruise. Since we were traveling with children, I had many questions about Titou Gorge and the safety of swimming through there with children. Levi always responded quickly to my emails. Sometimes he'd respond the same day, other times I'd hear from him the following day. He later told me that when he's home, he checks his emails every 15 minutes.

Upon arriving at the dock in Rousseau (we didn't have to be tendered), Levi was waiting right where he said he would be with a big sign that said Bumpiing Tours. We waited a short time for other members of the tour to arrive. Levi was fascinating to talk to and was very knowledgeable about his island. He offered us drinks that he supplied in a cooler (water, beer, and a sweet soda). The scenery was breathtaking, lush and tropical looking. The roads were definitely scary! They were very narrow and windy, and there were no guardrails. Levi is an excellent driver, and once I talked to him a little bit, I realized we had nothing to worry about. He is a capable driver, very cautious and experienced. I would have much rather had him driving than to be driving those roads myself!

On the way to our first stop, Titou Gorge, Levi pointed out interesting plants along the way. We saw a cocoa plant, cinnamon, breadfruits, pineapple and mangos. At Titou Gorge, we walked up to the gorge and just outside the gorge there were some island women selling candy, bananas, and some delicious homemade candies. One of these was a coconut candy that was out of this world. I would recommend bringing along a few extra dollars in case you decide to try some of these delicious treats. We brought along our towels and left our clothes and towels at the mouth of the gorge. It's best to have your swimsuit on already, but there was a makeshift changing room with a curtain. Levi gave us life preservers that strapped across our stomachs. This would allow us to float a little bit as we swam through the gorge. My younger daughter (12 years) was given a full life vest. It was a little small on her, but I was glad that she had a little more protection. Nothing can prepare you for how COLD the water is. I had read about it on CC, and Levi had warned us, but it is so cold that it takes your breath away at first. I am not a cold water person, but I decided that I had to get past that to enjoy the experience that I was about to have. At first you can stand outside the gorge, but as you swim a little deeper into the gorge you can no longer stand. The current moves you along through these giant boulders that actually make it look like you're inside of a cave. We doggie-paddled our way through the gorge (I did this while trying to keep my water camera from getting wet. It's not easy to doggie paddle with one hand). At times, light would filter through the rocks, and when you'd look up, you'd see trees and sunlight. It was spectacular! Levi grouped us all together inside the gorge in a place that we could stand on some rocks. He explained that we were going to swim up to the waterfall, but we had to make sure that we followed his directions. If you swim too close to the waterfall you can be sucked under the water. The water did get rougher as we got closer to the waterfall, but we were all fine (even my children).

I'm glad that I didn't chicken out because the water was too cold.

Our next stop was Trafalger Falls. There was a restroom there, but be sure that you bring dollar bills with you since they charge you to use the restroom. It was a short hike up to the falls. We got some beautiful pictures of the falls, and then we descended down to the hot springs. I couldn't believe how warm the water was in those springs. Actually Levi said the water was much colder than usual because it had rained the night before and the overflow was flowing into the hot spring. It felt like a hot tub. There was one woman in our group that needed extra assistance. She was having difficulty with the climbing and needed to take frequent rests. Levi was very sensitive to her needs, and made an extra effort to assist her as she climbed over rocks and down through the trail.

Our last stop was Champagne Reef, a snorkeling area. For an extra charge (I believe it was $7), you could snorkel at the reef. It's called Champagne Reef because little bubbles rise to the surface in the water. My daughter and I didn't want to snorkel, so we hung out on the rocky beach while the rest of our group went snorkeling. You could walk right out from the beach to snorkel. The only problem is if you choose not to snorkel, there's really no place to sit and wait. The rocks were very uncomfortable to sit on. If I were to do it again, I would pay the extra money to snorkel, and at least go in the water.

Levi got us back to the ship with time to spare. He is a great person, and runs a very professional business. If you decide to book a tour with Levi, you might want to bring along some vanilla coffee (or flavored coffee). We had read that he likes vanilla coffee, so we brought some along for him.

You won't be disappointed if you book with Levi. I would definitely book with him again on our next trip to Dominica.

We did this tour in April of 09 with a group of 15 and had a wonderful time.

The report above expresses our sentiments exactly. Yes the water was cold, but I'm glad I did it. I'm 72

Make you a bacon sandwich at breakfast. Bring some zip loc bags to put any sandwichs you want to bring...

Please note, some ports of call do not allow cruisers to bring food off their ships that way. Only prepackaged foods such as cereal, chips, cookies, trail mix, etc. are allowed. Possibly, your cruise line's daily paper will let you know if food is allowed off your ship or not in your various ports of call.

You can purchase your favorite prepackaged foods at home before your cruise and then bring them along. That way, you know for sure you will have food available while visiting a port of call.

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Levi gets two enthusiastic thumbs up from me. I don't think there is enough good I could say about this tour. There were 14 people in our van, and it did not feel crowded. My husband is 6'5", and fit fine. Maybe they have multiple vans of varying sizes? We did the 'wet' tour, and never felt like we were in the van for too long anyway. (And with some of the drop-offs on the side of the road, I don't think a bigger van would fit! haha)

Levi answered questions with ease, entertained, and showed pride of his island. We had people of all ages on the tour, and he made sure everyone was keeping up ok. The sights we saw and experienced were breathtaking.

If I am ever back on Dominica, I will sign up with Levi again in a heartbeat. We already promised we'd be back to go under the waterfalls (too rainy the day we were there, so it was too risky).

Edited to add--- Food: We brought a small box of cereal from the buffet for each of us, and only ate one of them. There is a little spot where you can purchase food and drinks at Trafalgar Falls if you go there.

I am interested in booking a tour with bumping tours. Just a little worried about how fit you have to be to do the hike.

I am fairly fit, just a little worried about my youngest daughter (15) who is typical teenager - would rather play on computer than take hike! Do you think you can do the hike if your not a regular walker or fine if your generally fit and healthy??

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

I need to give a quick shout-out for Levi. I've hired him several times for different excursions. He's amazing. Just wish that I could figure out how to post pictures on the internet. :p

How many people does Levi have working for him? We are a group of only 2 people and might want a custom tour.

Everyone talks as if Levi is the one tour guide they actually get. I'm sure he has a few guys working for him? How is his staff?

Any advice about group size? How does he take small groups? or bundles them into standard size groups? I'm guessing even a large group for Levi is small compared to booking with the ship.

Also... how do I find out how many ships are in port on January 3rd 2010? We will be on the Ruby, just wondering how busy it gets on Dominica?

Thanks

We were in Dominica recently as the first port of our Grand Princess trans-atlantic cruise and had a tour with Levi of Bumpiing Tours. Someone from our roll call arranged the tour and there were 8 -10 of us. Levi is very accommodating and knowledgeable and fun. He had a van that was clean and A/C, and supplied bottled water and local beer. The cost was $51pp which included all the usual beautiful spots plus the Hot Tub and Champagne Reef.

The Champagne Reef was lots of fun! It is an extinct volcano filled with beautiful corals, fishes, sea urchins, anemones, etc., and has bubbles that escape from the volcanic gas. The bubbles are naturally why it resembles champagne, and they are warm and plentiful in areas.

The "beach" is rocky and there is a boardwalk across the rocks to the end where there is a black rubber mat leading into the water. There are restrooms and snorkel gear rental available, but no beach chairs except on the patio close to the rental shack. I will go straight to Champagne Reef on my next visit to Dominica!!

I highly recommend Levi of Bumpiing Tours and the Champagne Reef.

How far is the reef from where the boat docks, and r there taxi's waiting to take you there?

WOW. I was just recommending Levi on another thread when I came across this one!

Levi is my next door neighbours Grandson!!!! Levi sadly lost his father kelly this year after a short battle with cancer.

I will tell his Grandad about all the nice things that have been said about Levi on here...It will make his day!

How many people does Levi have working for him? We are a group of only 2 people and might want a custom tour.

Everyone talks as if Levi is the one tour guide they actually get. I'm sure he has a few guys working for him? How is his staff?

Any advice about group size? How does he take small groups? or bundles them into standard size groups? I'm guessing even a large group for Levi is small compared to booking with the ship.

Also... how do I find out how many ships are in port on January 3rd 2010? We will be on the Ruby, just wondering how busy it gets on Dominica?

Thanks

Hi. I'd suggest that you send Levi an email with these questions. He's a stand-up guy and surrounds himself with the like. He can custom an outing for you based on your wants and desires. I highly recommend the man.

We sailed in September and booked our excursion with Levi. It was one of the best excursions we have ever done! We were met by Levi as soon as we exited the pier and were transported in a nice air conditioned van. We were a group of 4 and there were 8 other people on the tour with us, which was perfect. Levi is very friendly and makes you feel like an old friend. We started our tour at Titou Gorge. Levi ensures his guests are safe and comfortable at all times. He will go out of his way to help anyone that needs alittle extra assistance. The roads are a bit steep and winding but we felt safe with Levi behind the wheel. Tragalar Falls was absolutely beautiful, the climb is very rocky and at some parts difficult but Levi is there to guide you and to literally take your hand and help you every step of the way. I can't imagine visiting Dominica without Levi. He is truly a sweetheart and we would go back and tour with him again and again!

We just got back from our 10/4 sailing on the Victory and booked with Levi because of the great reviews on here! We were NOT disappointed! Our tour guide's name was Alvin and he was great! We did the Roseau Valley Best Tour. When it says that you must be in good shape, they are not kidding! LOL. I just turned 40 and thought that I would be just fine. I was huffing and puffing pretty quickly, but not in a bad way. The views were amazing! You sweat enough to not worry about the melting cake the night before! We did the hike to Middleham Falls. Then we continued on to Titou Gorge, and then to Trafalgar Falls. The whole trip was amazing and not to be missed!!!!!! I did bring some boxed cereal, but we never ate it. Do try the Kabuli beer! It tasted great after that long hike! Do not hesitate to book with them! You will love it!

Add me to the list of Levi fans!

We were with him September 25 on the Adventure of the Seas. He met us right where he said he would and he waited awhile for 2 people who were late showing up. We eventually left without them in 2 vans but someone called Levi and said the 2 people that were late had arrived so he sent Alvin in the other van back to the pier. He told us had we been farther away they would not have gone back for them.

We went to Titou Gorge first and it was cold! It did take my breath away but some of the people in our van said that they have been in colder swimming pools. The Gorge is not to be missed! It was a lot of fun. We then went to Trafalgar Falls and some of us stayed at the observation deck while others went on to the hot springs. My daughter, her friend and my husband enjoyed it but said that it was a difficult walk to get there and back. Levi said that the recent tropical storm had damaged the path. Then Levi took us to Morne Bruce, the botanical garden and then back to the ship for those not going on to Champagne Reef.

I was worried about not getting back to the ship by 3:30 but Levi promised that we would be back. So we decided to go on to Champagne Reef and he did get us back by 3:00.

There were 5 in my group and we all agreed that it was the best day of the week. Levi was great with my mother who cannot swim and with me who could not swim in water that was colder than what I am used to! He was always checking to make sure everybody was okay. I was never scared with him driving and felt safe with him the entire day.

We will book him again if we ever find ourselves back on Dominca. It is truly one of the prettiest places I have ever visited. We wish we had been there longer to see more of the island.

We just got back from AOS and booked the Middleham Falls tour with Levi. Gary was our tour guide and he was fabulous! They were waiting for us when we got off the ship. It was my family of five and another family of four on Gary's tour. The hike to the falls was strenuous, as we were forewarned, but Gary made frequent stops and showed us where we could refill our water bottles with fresh mountain spring water and sample fresh berries. The waterfall was beautiful and we were able to swim in the pool and jump from the rocks. Then we proceeded to Titou Gorge. That was a really cool experience and we were able to get right under the waterfall. From there we went to Trafalger Falls. The falls were very pretty to view from the observation platform, but the real treat was when Gary took us beyond the viewing area to the natural hot springs. We had just enough time left to do a little snorkeling and got back to the ship about 15 minutes before departure. Dominica by far, was the highlight of our cruise, even for my two teenagers. The island is beautiful and Gary made sure that we had a wonderful time. As soon as he realized that we were an adventurous group, he made sure that we had an adventure! He even used our video camera a waterproof cameras to take video and pictures of us playing in the falls and having the time of our lives.

• 2 weeks later...

Blitzerlove, sounds like you took the tour I'm scheduled for in March. You say your mom isn't a swimmer and you can't swim in such cold water. Did you both do the swim through the gorge to the waterfall and if so how did you manage? I cannot swim and was thinking of sitting that part out but Levi assures me its possible for a non swimmer. Any thoughts anyone who's done this tour?

Blitzerlove, sounds like you took the tour I'm scheduled for in March. You say your mom isn't a swimmer and you can't swim in such cold water. Did you both do the swim through the gorge to the waterfall and if so how did you manage? I cannot swim and was thinking of sitting that part out but Levi assures me its possible for a non swimmer. Any thoughts anyone who's done this tour?

Hi,

I have taken Levi's tour also. I am 72 and had concerns about being able to make it through the gorge, but it was a piece of cake so to speak. The hardest thing is getting down the slippery rocks without slipping. The next is the cold water, but there is a warm waterfall for temporary relief if you need it before going through the gorge. Levi furnishes floating belts and then has a ring attached to a rope if you have any difficulty against the current. You can just hold the ring and he will pull you through. The current is not that bad and I didn't need the ring.

Another lady was extremely overweight and had severe arthritis, but was really game to do things and she made it down the rocks. One just has to take time. The cold water is just like jumping in a cold swimming pool. It gets better once you are in.

Archived