Sail Away for 1st timers-on deck or balcony?

Ohlady - leaving San Juan at night is absolutely stunning. The only thing that beats it was arriving there at dawn one time - the sunrise was perfect, the fort was shrouded in mystery, the city was still asleep with just a few lights winking on in the soft pre dawn light. I will NEVER forget that. San Juan is a beautiful port - but at night she is magical.

I have two boys, similiar age, they prefer to be on deck first, after a hour or so, we go to our balcony and chill with a coke (and rum for me!)... I think you're daughter will enjoy being on deck with everyone, also, there's a chance that the video crew will film her and she'll be on tape (that you can purchase at end of cruise)... anyhow, just a thought... :)

wolfganghowell-your baby "Gidget" is actually my baby boy Spyro! DD named him after a cute little video game dragon. He's almost 6 and the sweetest little man you ever met :)

Talked it over with DD and we will definitely be present on deck for sailaway festivities. Thanks so much as always for all of your valued opinions!

By the time we did our first RCCL cruise we were experienced cruisers. Our first cruise was out of NYC and that is one port you have to see from the railings because there is so much to see on both sides. If you have a balcony on the port side you will see the Manhttan skyline, but miss the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island and Hardly see the Verizano narrows Bridge. We started doing our departure parties in the Viking Crowb Lounge. It became a tradition and you have possibly the best view of anywhere on the ship. You may miss some of the party, but if you just want to toast to a great vacation and see the coastline disappear, that is a great place and it is not normally crowded. By all means, stay out of your cabin. Start socializing. Your not trying to meet people, just trying to have a good time. Good Sailing, Murf.

This is just my 3rd cruise, but we're bringing DS6 with us, as his first:) I have on the others been up top at the front of the ship. We were thinking of bringing bubbles for him for sail away, and I would guess that other passengers would not want to be dodging bubbles. We're going to try to find a spot aft for him to enjoy his first sail away. If not, I guess we'll use our balcony. If anyone has a suggestion, I'll take it!

Archived