Sail Away for 1st timers-on deck or balcony?

My daughter (13) and I are doing a mom and daughter cruise, our 1st cruise ever. I was wondering if anyone has any opinion on whether you might think we'd enjoy experiencing sailaway on our balcony or up on deck better? We are very social but are not really wild women, just a friendly mom and daughter having a 1st experience together. I thought it might be more special to experience this on our balcony, just the 2 of us with a guaranteed front row spot, then we could go ahead and join any celebration in progress up on deck afterward. Will we miss anything major by doing this? We are by no means the types to hide in our room but just figured this would be a way to avoid being stuck in the sailaway crowd.

Opinions?

As always, THANK YOU!

For your first time, I would go up top with the rest of the passengers. You can never get back your first time but I think your daughter would really enjoy it. I've done both and I'm happy I did mine that way. My very first cruise the Goodyear Blimp was circling over us (with a CDC message no less) and it was really close. Just a neat experience pulling from a port, particularlly its a large port.

My daughter (13) and I are doing a mom and daughter cruise, our 1st cruise ever. I was wondering if anyone has any opinion on whether you might think we'd enjoy experiencing sailaway on our balcony or up on deck better?

As always, THANK YOU!

Oh, I would definitely be up on deck for sailaway!! My 16yo daughter and I cruised last July out of Galveston on Conquest, and while there weren't many people waving goodbye to us from the shore, just being up on top and watching the ship pull away from the dock is SO fun! We are definitely not party type people either, but just being up there, the music is going, everyone is excited that the cruise is finally beginning, and the mood is very catching! My daughter LOVED sailaway and we stayed up there for a while, just watching the land disappear in the distance, and just enjoyed watching the other people! Have fun on your cruise!!:D

Miami is one of the most interesting and coolest ports to sail out of. Cars actually stop along the highway to wave goodbye to the ship as it moves through the long channel. If your balcony is on the opposite side of the ship from the highway, you'd miss all that. As well, once you are on your way, if you look back, you can see the outline of the Florida peninsula - it's almost like seeing it from outer-space (or "bird's eye" from google earth).

As well, once you are on your way, if you look back, you can see the outline of the Florida peninsula - it's almost like seeing it from outer-space (or "bird's eye" from google earth).

How cool!! I have a cruise out of Port Everglades in October. Will I be able to see that too? :cool:

How cool!! I have a cruise out of Port Everglades in October. Will I be able to see that too? :cool:

I'm not sure - perhaps it was just the way that particular Captain directed the ship that one time. Like the OP, we were on a western itinerary (it was on Explorer), so we started off traveling south. From Miami, we were in a position below the peninsula to get a very unusual view. A lot of people missed it because they didn't look behind them past the wake. I imagine it would be nearly the same positioning if you originate from Port Everglades. It was not the same when we sailed from Port Canaveral b/c we were further east by the time we were below Florida. If you are on the eastern itinerary, you'd be heading towards CocoCay or San Juan, which would also position you more "out to sea".

I didn't know to look for it - but what I thought was really cool about sailing out of Port Everglades was how a lot of people in the high-rises along the channel came out and waved and blew air horns and generally joined in our merriment as we headed out to sea. People on the beach waved too.

My daughter (13) and I are doing a mom and daughter cruise, our 1st cruise ever. I was wondering if anyone has any opinion on whether you might think we'd enjoy experiencing sailaway on our balcony or up on deck better? We are very social but are not really wild women, just a friendly mom and daughter having a 1st experience together. I thought it might be more special to experience this on our balcony, just the 2 of us with a guaranteed front row spot, then we could go ahead and join any celebration in progress up on deck afterward. Will we miss anything major by doing this? We are by no means the types to hide in our room but just figured this would be a way to avoid being stuck in the sailaway crowd.

Opinions?

As always, THANK YOU!

Deck! Deck!

After your first one (cruise) you will become addicted.

First stage: want to cruise again

Second stage: thinking of booking a cruise right after you get of a cruise

Third stage: you can't wait to get off the ship to book another cruise and you book cruises while on a cruise

Unfortunately, the first stage is the shortest one. It lasts only one cruise. The second stage kicks immediately in after cruise 2. If you can resist you may prevent Stage 3 of the addiction to kick in right after your third cruise, but most likely not.

All 3 stages are terminal, no medications, just relief medicine (cruising). Stage 3 lasts a life time.

Basically what I am saying is: celebrate the sail away on Deck. You will be in your cabin celebrating many sail aways in the future.

:D

Miami is one of the most interesting and coolest ports to sail out of. Cars actually stop along the highway to wave goodbye to the ship as it moves through the long channel. If your balcony is on the opposite side of the ship from the highway, you'd miss all that. As well, once you are on your way, if you look back, you can see the outline of the Florida peninsula - it's almost like seeing it from outer-space (or "bird's eye" from google earth).

While I prefer Port Everglades as a port over Miami I do agree though that the sail away from Miami is incredible. Being up on Deck 12 and looking down at the causeway is incredible. People waving at you even honking their horns.

I didn't know to look for it - but what I thought was really cool about sailing out of Port Everglades was how a lot of people in the high-rises along the channel came out and waved and blew air horns and generally joined in our merriment as we headed out to sea. People on the beach waved too.

How cool!! I've only sailed from Galveston and there were very few people out on the dock waving! I looked at the satellite pic of the area where the ships leave from at Port Everglades and someone also told me that people line up all along both sides! I have a wrap around for THAT cruise, but I will definitely be up top for sailaway! I can't imagine living somewhere where you would get to go out and see ships coming and going!:cool: :cool:

NO NO NO that can't be... I can't catch thataddiction! Here's why...

Hub has major travel anxiety, doesn't like to leave our town even. I had to ply him with valium just to get him on a plane to Disney a few years ago. Doesn't matter how big the ship is, just knowing he can't get off if he wants to puts him in a panic. Most rational people would say you'd never know you were on a ship, etc, but he's not rational when it comes to ships and planes, he has severe anxiety/terror with the thoughts of it. Nothing said or done can talk him out of feeling that way-believe me, I've tried! He has no interest in even trying it so I won't force him. If the tables were turned I'd want to be left alone about it, so I don't rag on him about it.

Anyway last summer he wanted a Harley so I said sure, you get a Harley and DD and I will go on a cruise-something she and I have always wanted to do. He went for it! I never thought he would! So off we go in 9 days, he'll stay home and hold down the fort. So I really can't get addicted, I'll have to fight it every step of the way, maybe they'll come up with a patch or something for it...

Hub did promise to take land based tropical/caribbean vacations with us in the future so maybe that will feed the need close enough???????????????

Be up on the deck. There is so much going on with the music and dancing etc. Join in on the fun, you'll be glad you did. The first time we took our kids my daughter (9 at the time) and I started dancing and got so caught up in the party that we almost were late for dinner. It's 5 years later and she still talks about the fun we had.

Hub has major travel anxiety, doesn't like to leave our town even. I had to ply him with valium just to get him on a plane to Disney a few years ago. Doesn't matter how big the ship is, just knowing he can't get off if he wants to puts him in a panic. Most rational people would say you'd never know you were on a ship, etc, but he's not rational when it comes to ships and planes, he has severe anxiety/terror with the thoughts of it. Nothing said or done can talk him out of feeling that way-believe me, I've tried! He has no interest in even trying it so I won't force him. If the tables were turned I'd want to be left alone about it, so I don't rag on him about it.

Anyway last summer he wanted a Harley so I said sure, you get a Harley and DD and I will go on a cruise-something she and I have always wanted to do. He went for it! I never thought he would! So off we go in 9 days, he'll stay home and hold down the fort. So I really can't get addicted, I'll have to fight it every step of the way, maybe they'll come up with a patch or something for it...

Hub did promise to take land based tropical/caribbean vacations with us in the future so maybe that will feed the need close enough???????????????

Jane hun, I really feel sorry but many have fought that addiction but very few can kick that habit. :D

The only way of avoiding an adiction is to have a bad cruise or being on a bad ship but goodness, you are going on the Freedom. Your chances of not becoming addicted are slim to none.

I guess if your hubby doesn't want to go cruising (at least once) he will be holding down the fort a lot of times. :D

When you come back from your cruise and show him pictures he will realize that ships these days are floating cities. Especially on RCI you do not feel cramped in or anything. Ships are wide open, passengers are distributed well.

Your hubby will have no other chance than to cruise with you one day otherwise he will be the 'lonely guardian'.

:D

Happy sailing to you and your daughter.

Anyway last summer he wanted a Harley so I said sure, you get a Harley and DD and I will go on a cruise-something she and I have always wanted to do. He went for it! I never thought he would!

Tell him congrats on the Harley!!! DH and I just purchased Harleys last summer too! What did he get?

I don't know what kind it is, I just sit on the back! LOL! It must be something good b'c he gets a lot of compliments on it, people stop us wherever we go. He's said what kind it is a million times but that is boy talk and I don't pay attention LOL!

All I know is that in 9 days I'll be cruising the caribbean and he'll be cruising the couch because his bike is stored for the winter! LOL! Poor guy... :p

For your first time, I would go up top with the rest of the passengers. You can never get back your first time but I think your daughter would really enjoy it. I've done both and I'm happy I did mine that way. My very first cruise the Goodyear Blimp was circling over us (with a CDC message no less) and it was really close. Just a neat experience pulling from a port, particularlly its a large port.

On my last cruise aboard the Freedom, they had a helicopter circling us and I actually made it on TV. Not sure if it was because of "me" or the fact that the camera guy was checking out ExoticGirl (I would've too), but we had a blast up on the deck dancing away and acting for the camera.

When we decided to head back to the room to change into swimming gear, the helicopter was still circling. We went out on the balcony and waved to them again, and they paced the ship to get additional footage.

Jane - first of all, what is my baby Gidget doing as your avatar? :D Second - definitely on deck. It is so festive and there is such a sense of community and excitement. It's just about the only moment on a cruise where you truly feel EVERYONE is experiencing the same thing. You can use the balcony for port sailaways!

Archived