Relatives affected by Ivan

Orcrone

The official report of rain in our area was 5.86 inches of rain in 24 hours - International Airport.

Where we live we got over 6 inches according to our county airport yesterday. Many areas are still flooded - lots of homes and businesses have been destroyed.

In 8 days we have gotten over 12 inches of rain from Frances and Ivan - the ground here is saturted.

Over 250 boats were destroyed last weekend in Frances and hundreds more - still attached to docks are going down the 3 rivers today from Ivan's rath.

It amazes me that one storm can hold so much water.

The remnants of Ivan are here in New England now and we're having torrential downpours. Nothing like the South had to deal with of course, but there's still a substantial amount of "storm" left in Ivan.

Thanks for your reply, HeatherinFlorida - I appreciate it. We still have so many people without power or homes - especially along the coast. Roads are completely gone. Brother sold the tickets to my neighbors and took the cash directly to our local Red Cross. Neighbors (natives) were thrilled at the last-minute deal, and the Red Cross said they will use the money towards direct aid for AL coastal residents. It's just a pittance compared to the real devastation, though. I can certainly sympathize with Florida, getting a triple whammy! Thanks again, Heather, and I do recognize the priorities - just don't understand it.

Archived