Really Need Info Re: Millenium Cat RS Balcony Covers

cruisecrasy

Got to avoid as much sun as possible & in particular 2 pm to late day so since I haven't been able to view much in the way ofpictures on any sites regarding the balcony coverings, wld really like to chat with anyone regarding same who has cruised in a RS on on the Millenium ..

From what I can see, there seems to be a canvas cover over some part of the balcony - in particular in the corner where the tub is located - is this true or does it cover enough of the balcony for us to sit outside mid to later day without being hit with the sun?

How is the privacy issue since the ship seems to angle inwards as u go higher so u must be visable to anyone looking down or at least, partially anyway. Again what say?

Sure wld appreciate any info..

Many thanks in advance & happy cruisin'.

Actually, when we were on the Hawaii cruise, we didn't have sun any day when we were going to Hawaii. We were in 6140. I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on which side you're on and where the sun is located.

Good Luck and Happy Cruising.

Cruisecrasy,

You are correct that the RS balconies on the Millennium are only partially covered. We were in RS 6138 and the tub and the table and chairs were covered while the rest of the balcony was uncovered. In terms of privacy, most of the balcony was open to view from above. Here are two pictures of our balcony that will give you a pretty good idea of what your balcony will look like. Hope this helps.

Dave

2757290950101716102S600x600Q85.jpg

2077979730101716102S600x600Q85.jpg

As others have mentioned, there is a cover over where the tub is and the rest is uncovered. Its about 50/50. Whether its the lounge chairs or outside table thats covered depends on who drug the furniture around last.

There is also "shade" on either side provided by the dividers between the balconeys of your next door nebhors.

But getting back to staying out of the sun, its really going to depend on the direction you are sailing. For example, we were on Mille in RS6133 on a Transatlantic in December from Barcelona to FLL. 6133 is a port (left facing forward) suite. So when going east to west it faces south. North of the equator it gets the most sun going that direction. Even us sun lovers were driven off the balcony at high noon on the Atlantic at times. The balconies on the starboard side probably had nice shade.

Going the other direction would have had opposite affects. If the ship is going north/south or whatever...well you get the idea.

The aft cabins that I've seen do have pretty big covers on the balconies. The ones I've seen are the FOV's on 7 and the PH on 6.

Hope this helps.

Cruisecrasy,

You are correct that the RS balconies on the Millennium are only partially covered. We were in RS 6138 and the tub and the table and chairs were covered while the rest of the balcony was uncovered. In terms of privacy, most of the balcony was open to view from above. Here are two pictures of our balcony that will give you a pretty good idea of what your balcony will look like. Hope this helps.

Dave

2757290950101716102S600x600Q85.jpg

2077979730101716102S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks so very much for posting these photos - made my day for me - just what I need.

Have happy cruisin'!

As others have mentioned, there is a cover over where the tub is and the rest is uncovered. Its about 50/50. Whether its the lounge chairs or outside table thats covered depends on who drug the furniture around last.

There is also "shade" on either side provided by the dividers between the balconeys of your next door nebhors.

But getting back to staying out of the sun, its really going to depend on the direction you are sailing. For example, we were on Mille in RS6133 on a Transatlantic in December from Barcelona to FLL. 6133 is a port (left facing forward) suite. So when going east to west it faces south. North of the equator it gets the most sun going that direction. Even us sun lovers were driven off the balcony at high noon on the Atlantic at times. The balconies on the starboard side probably had nice shade.

Going the other direction would have had opposite affects. If the ship is going north/south or whatever...well you get the idea.

The aft cabins that I've seen do have pretty big covers on the balconies. The ones I've seen are the FOV's on 7 and the PH on 6.

Hope this helps.

Sure does help...I am considering Hawaii to Vancouver, Canada in late April thru early May, 2009. Means I wld be travelling north east from the islands to Van..

Hubby has had skin cancer so u can understand my problem regarding avoiding the afternoon sun if as much as possible...

I have no way of knowing where we will be in the islands but we have 5 days travelling north east to Vancouver, Can. to consider and that is what I am most concerned about.

Then to avoid the sun late day, assuming of course there will be any :)

I should probably book the 'starboard' side - correct?

Most grateful for your assistance.

Hope this helps.

Sure does help...I am considering Hawaii to Vancouver, Canada in late April into early May, 2009 in an RS on the 'Millie' (won't book cabin till I know which side).

Hubby has had skin cancer so u can understand our problem regarding avoiding the afternoon sun if as much as possible...short of always being inside.

I have no way of knowing where we will be in the islands but we have 5 days travelling north east to Vancouver, Can. to consider and that is what I am most concerned about.

So to avoid the sun late day, assuming of course there will be any :)

I should probably book the 'starboard' side - correct?

Most grateful for your assistance.

Computer glitch again - sorry...

I have been digging deeper & seems to me that the balconies on the Millie are totally open to viewing from above with exception of just above the tub & table area on the corners of the balconies.

There is no privacy at all unless u stay in your cabin or perhaps I am missing something.

As this seems to be the case I believe I shall rethink this ship as we spend a lot of time on our balcony and I do u wish to be 'ogled' & esp not when in the balcony whirlpool (u can be seen from above just not directly from above) - not at the price paid for an RS for 195 sq ft of balcony.

For us we wld rather have 1/2 that size with some privacy..

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Here is a suggestion for you: book 6143 (port) or 6144 (starboard). These are concierge class cabins down in "suiteland" that have large decks with good coverage (no hot tubs, though). They are a bit larger than normal CC cabins. On no account should you book the royal suite aft of 6143 next to the penthouse, it has no coverage whatsoever on the deck. Assume the one on the starboard side suffers from the same problem.

We are sailing on the Millie in 6143 in a week and I'd be happy to send you some pictures when we return if you send me your e-mail address. There are already pictures on these boards (do a search for 6143). Good luck!

Here is a suggestion for you: book 6143 (port) or 6144 (starboard). These are concierge class cabins down in "suiteland" that have large decks with good coverage (no hot tubs, though). They are a bit larger than normal CC cabins. On no account should you book the royal suite aft of 6143 next to the penthouse, it has no coverage whatsoever on the deck. Assume the one on the starboard side suffers from the same problem.

We are sailing on the Millie in 6143 in a week and I'd be happy to send you some pictures when we return if you send me your e-mail address. There are already pictures on these boards (do a search for 6143). Good luck!

Great suggestion.

I wld really appreciate hearing from u when u return & even to just hear about what experiences u had on your cruise if nothing else.

Sort of like my being there 'once removed' so to speak :)

Plse forgive my ignorance but how do I send u my e-mail address as I'm still learning about computers - guess u can tell hmmm? :)

Hope u have your best cruise ever....!!!

Great suggestion.

I wld really appreciate hearing from u when u return & even to just hear about what experiences u had on your cruise if nothing else.

Sort of like my being there 'once removed' so to speak :)

Plse forgive my ignorance but how do I send u my e-mail address as I'm still learning about computers - guess u can tell hmmm? :)

Hope u have your best cruise ever....!!!

That's a perfectly legit question. You can post it here and I will watch for it. Since this is a public forum, I would suggest posting it in the following format:

your screen name at (instead of the at sign) yahoo.com or comcast.net or whatever your ISP is. Not putting the @ sign in keeps the spammers from automatically picking it up. Or you can just watch the boards, we will post a report.

That's a perfectly legit question. You can post it here and I will watch for it. Since this is a public forum, I would suggest posting it in the following format:

your screen name at (instead of the at sign) yahoo.com or comcast.net or whatever your ISP is. Not putting the @ sign in keeps the spammers from automatically picking it up. Or you can just watch the boards, we will post a report.

Thanks for the most helpful tip - learn something new everyday..

If u post it when u return many folks wld have the opportunity of reading & educating themselves so I shall wait & read it here when u return instead as u suggest.

Again, I wish u your best cruise ever..! :)

I just assumed that there were awnings (balcony covers) over all of the RS's. I have been in 6140 on the Summit twice and we did have these. However, to be close to friends, we booked RS 6138 fpr pir TA criuse in November. Now, I'm really concerned about the lack of privacy. Does anyone know if awnings were added to the ships built later than the Millinium?

I just assumed that there were awnings (balcony covers) over all of the RS's. I have been in 6140 on the Summit twice and we did have these. However, to be close to friends, we booked RS 6138 fpr pir TA criuse in November. Now, I'm really concerned about the lack of privacy. Does anyone know if awnings were added to the ships built later than the Millinium?

Here is a picture of the Summit where you can see one of the RS that DOES have awnings (toward the left of the photo) . So it could be a difference between Summit an Millennium. But you can not see all the RS in the photo.

66395123-S.jpg

Also saw this picture of Summit from one of the corner FV which seems to show awnings going forward.

1477855774032994555S425x425Q85.jpg

Here is a picture of the Summit where you can see one of the RS that DOES have awnings (toward the left of the photo) . So it could be a difference between Summit an Millennium. But you can not see all the RS in the photo.

66395123-S.jpg

Also saw this picture of Summit from one of the corner FV which seems to show awnings going forward.

1477855774032994555S425x425Q85.jpg

The picture of the RS's ARE different than those on Mille and Infinity (as of Dec 07 for Mille and Mar 07 for Infinity). They both had a full cover only on one side of the verandah (jacuzzi side) and then a sculpted/half cover on the other (living room sliding door) side.

The Millie is different. I have seen pictures (sorry, can't remember where) that show that RS next to the penthouse has a totally uncovered veranda. Looked really uninviting. Plus it has a regular door to veranda as opposed to sliding door. Also believe I've seen that mentioned in posts somewhere. We're next door to that RS next week, so will check it out and report back.

The Millie is different. I have seen pictures (sorry, can't remember where) that show that RS next to the penthouse has a totally uncovered veranda. Looked really uninviting. Plus it has a regular door to veranda as opposed to sliding door. Also believe I've seen that mentioned in posts somewhere. We're next door to that RS next week, so will check it out and report back.

Linda,

The suite (6145 or 6146) next to the Penthouse suite is a Sky Suite not a RS.

Dave

Linda,

We just got off the Millie on the Jan. 20th sailing yesterday and we had room 6143. On Millie there is not a full canvas cover on the large balcony like the other M-Class ships. It is covered to the extent of any other normal balcony staterooms (excluding the aft). In place of the covering it has 2 loungers in addition to the 2 chairs and table. We would have preferred the cover we had on the other M-Class ships for privacy, wind & rain but lying in those loungers at night looking at the stars was a real treat.

You’ll be happy to know the stateroom is in good condition with only some very minor issues in the bathroom – we loved the room. Lydia is the SA and she is good one, say hi for us.:)

Joel

Archived