Does the upgrade fairy only bless gty cabins?

jocelysue

Does the upgrade fairy only bless guaranteed cabins or does she sometimes, in her infinite wisdom;) and generosity, deign to bestow some of her fairy dust upon passengers who have not had the temerity :rolleyes: to book guarantees and have ,instead, chosen their cabin assignemnt?

Haven't seen any discussion about this, but then again, haven't seen everything .

Slightly off topic, and I certainly don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but a thought comes in here.

On another thread, a person was asking about an upgrade from a SC guarantee, to possibly a SA.

Correct me if I am wrong, but on the Vista ships, there are only 4 SC cabins, so when you buy a SC guarantee , you are almost assured a upgrade to a SB or an SA. (I am going to get a SC on our next cruise- if I can- with this in mind.) However, other than location, those cabins are the same square footage, and all have access to the Neptune and the other full suite amenities. (And some would argue the SC's location on the aft with the huge veranda makes them even better.)

Regular prices on the SB are several hundred dollars higher, and on the SA, many hundred dollars higher, depending on the length of the cruise. But when guarantee cabins are offered, they are frequently higher priced than the cabin specified as a guarantee- that is, a SC guarantee is actually higher priced that an actual SC.

So, where is the real upgrade on a guarantee? I think it is when you go "out of class". A VF to a C. Or a SC to the PS. I just don't see a SC to an SB as an upgrade. It's just the same cabin in a little, perhaps better, location.

Sorry jocelysue, didn't answer your question! :-))

I think if you book a specific cabin, you need to inform HAL or your TA that you would like to be considered for an upgrade too. This way if no upgrade is given you would still get the cabin you chose, but could be upgraded.

When I booked our upcoming Yum Yum cruise I wanted to pick our cabin. But the catorgory I chose (VF) only came as a guarentee. I knew I wanted to be on either deck 5 or 6. I was taking a chance that I could have been given a VF on level 4 or an upgraded cabin on level 4. Which I really didn't want to be on. Lucky I was given a cabin on level 7.

Guarentees and upgrades can be tricky.

Happy Cruising.

Even though we have always booked a specific cabin, each time we book I have been asked if we would be open to an upgrade. So, that makes me think that anyone is elligible. However, giving the options to guarantees or cruisers in lower catagories seems appropriate.

We were going to just do an SY cabin and see if we got an upgrade, but for our trip on the Oosterdam I would prefer to be on port side. Also, our TA was able to get us the same cabin as we would have had for our 10/4 cruise which was cancelled due to a group chartering the ship. Kind of silly but I wanted 6104 because our anniversary is 10/4 & we were originally scheduled on the 10/4 Oosterdam. I did not wish to be considered for an upgrade. Maybe we'll go the guarantee for the next cruise.

. But when guarantee cabins are offered, they are frequently higher priced than the cabin specified as a guarantee- that is, a SC guarantee is actually higher priced that an actual SC.

Since I usually book a inside I know nothing about a SC guarantee...However in the categories I check out the guarantee is always the same as picking a cabin in the same category...It would be interesting to know what others have observed.

I agree the upgrade fairy is unpredictable!

On my recent cruise (January 5th Zuiderdam Eastern Caribbean) I booked cabin 6131 (K category inside) under the Single Partner Program. I thought the best case senario would be to have the cabin to myself with no single supplement.

When I arrived to board the ship the upgrade fairy had done her magic. My new cabin was 4080 (G category outside partially obstructed view) all to myself!!! :D

To add to the mystery I was told the ship was full and I met many passengers who were not visited by the mysterious fairy.

For our upcoming Black Sea cruise our travel agent asked us if we would like and upgrade from our "A" to an "S", Superior Verandah on the Rotterdam. I asked if we could keep our carefully selected "A", and not just take a gaurantee, and she said yes. It would be wonderful to experience an "S", but I doubt that it would be "given" to us; I suspect we would have to pay. We'll see what happens and dream!:)

Karen

In June of 2006 DH had booked an Alaskan Cruise on the Zaandam - just about 6 weeks out and through an online TA. There weren't many cabin choices left but he did take an oceanview cabin on the Main Deck - a specific cabin was assigned. Nothing was ever asked by the TA about upgrading.

When we got to the pier in Seattle and checked in we were informed that we had been upgraded - a seven category upgrade to a VA balcony!!! We were shocked. I kept asking DH if he paid extra and he insisted that he did not - he was as surprised as I was. We know it was a last minute deal because we did have some gift card in the cabin for the couple originally booked there. Ironically one day in the library a family of four sat near me and were talking about their cabin number - it was the one we had originally booked.

It was the one and only upgrade on we've had and can testify that it can happen. We once had an upsell on NCL but paid for it!

Archived