Just for girls-question re: "that" time

Definitely take them with you!!! I don't understand why the ships don't carry more of those type things. We now even bring 2 toothbrushes each with us. My husband's toothbrush cracked in half (now that's never happened before, but it had to happen on a cruise) and toothbrushes were no where to be found on the ship!! I can't tell you how many stores we walked in at the next port looking for a toothbrush before we finally found a store that sold them..........LOL Now we always take an extra!

Thanks for all the great answers-except one, which I ignored.

The space issue is actually an issue b'c she is 13 I am talking about the type of supplies that DO take up a bit of room, rather than the type that DON'T. But you are all right, I'd rather she be comfortable with the brand she is used to so I will MAKE room.

Also, DH is not coming with us so it doesn't matter where they are in the luggage, and even if he were coming I could put supplies in his POCKETS and he wouldn't blink an eye. He is one of the good ones that will gladly pick up what supplies we may need at the store :)

Thanks again for letting me know not to count on getting any supplies on board. :)

Are you flying in the day before? If so, buy some at a local CVS and just throw them into a carryon if luggage space is an issue.

Oh yeah, and GO PATS! :)

Nothing wrong with this question, it happens. To the dude above, stay out of this thread if you cannot handle it.

Anyway, on our last cruise I had this problem a few days...sucked! But, I had a long my own "personals" so it was not a biggie. Thankfully I still had a few days of freedom.

Have fun!

When we sailed AOS several years ago, I had to go off on a hunt on debarkation morning to find supplies. It took me visits to several bathrooms to figure out that the reason for no coin slot wasn't that there were no supplies, but that they were free. :o However, it's a great idea to bring supplies along, just in case. You can always fit them in a baggie inside a pair of shoes so they don't take up any more room, and the idea of picking up supplies if you fly in a day early is a good one, too.

Have a great cruise!

It sounds like she is not into using tampons yet. I don't remember from your original post how much time there is before your cruise, but I have two suggestions: if you and she are comfortable, try using tampons before you go. Would make it easier to pack and maybe even more comfortable for her since she won't have to worry about not swimming, etc. If you are not ready for that yet, there are many "thin" varieties out there that don't take up as much room as the thicker kind, and most are individually wrapped so you can fit them in the suitcase where ever there is room. Again, experiment on which ones feel most comfortable and work the best for her.

I really hope it won't happen, but I've learned from experience, it is always best to be prepared, because we just never know.

And to the person who was looking to figure out how to stop it from joining her on her anniversary cruise...... if you are open to it, using the pill would help you "schedule" your friend. Not everyone can or wants to go this route, but it works. Talk to your doc or gyn to see if it would work for you.

This may sound REALLY crazy, but I start to eat a banana everyday a few days before it's supposed to happen. For some reason it works for my mom and I, which she read about many years ago. I don't know if it's a mental thing or not, but it sure does do the trick for me. I did this in June since I was scheduled to start around the time I was going on vacation and it worked. I hope you get the same results if you decide to do this. Good luck!!!

This may sound REALLY crazy, but I start to eat a banana everyday a few days before it's supposed to happen. For some reason it works for my mom and I, which she read about many years ago. I don't know if it's a mental thing or not, but it sure does do the trick for me. I did this in June since I was scheduled to start around the time I was going on vacation and it worked. I hope you get the same results if you decide to do this. Good luck!!!

Might be the higher levels of potassium.

Thanks! I just added bananas to my grocery list! We will both be gobbling bananas for the next week and a half :)

We do fly in a day early so I will seek out a CVS when I get there. Do you think I can just slap a luggage tag on a big old thing of pads like some do when taking cases of soda on board? LOL!

I'm KIDDING!

Thanks to (most) everyone who responded :)

-Jane

Oh man, the “time” has happened to me on my last (only) 2 cruises and I timed this one perfect. To my surprise it decided on it’s own to change course, now with my 10 year anniversary cruise coming I am going to ask my DR what I can do to stop it!! Any ideas ladies?

You should ask your DR. There are ways to delay menstruation. If you are on the pill, you can keep taking it the week you are supposed to stop. There are other hormone pills they can give you too if you are not on the pill. Nothing is totally risk free, but most methods are very low risk if you are not over 40 and not a smoker. :)

Thanks alpha kitty, but I was asking for my 13 yr old daughter. We are trying to let her settle into a schedule which she almost has and I don't want to screw things up now by throwing hormones at her. At her age she has enough! LOL! ;)

This will just be one of life's lessons on becoming an adult woman for her...the curse comes sometimes at the crappiest times, there are ways to deal, we will figure them out as we go.

Thanks again so much to (most) everyone who has replied.

Jungle Jane,

This thread has been fun to read, like I do not think sending your daughter out to get pregnant would go over well. Also putting her on the pill is kind of jumping the gun at age 13.

I think pads are far smaller now than the surfboards of my youth that included a belt. I always pack a supply for the opposite reason. Your system plays tricks before menopause also.

I just do not see brining the product taking up that much space. One addtional thing I bring is the bags to put used product in. The ship can be miserly with that, and I do not think your daughter at 13 would feel comfortable asking the steward for extras.

Supplies on board are expensive, you have gotten lots of good advice here (and we will indeed turn blind eye to the not-so-good, lol). Not sure where you are sailing to, you can certainly find this stuff in the islands but better to bring your own from home- it is expensive here too and it's not fun to pass thru security and X rays with a sheer shopping bag-o-goods.

Sounds like you are a caring mom and we hope "jungle janette" has a lovely cruise with you- fingers crossed that she does not need the supplies you bring that week! Sounds like DH is a gem too- happy family sail!

Jungle Jane,

This thread has been fun to read, like I do not think sending your daughter out to get pregnant would go over well. Also putting her on the pill is kind of jumping the gun at age 13.

I think pads are far smaller now than the surfboards of my youth that included a belt. I always pack a supply for the opposite reason. Your system plays tricks before menopause also.

I just do not see brining the product taking up that much space. One addtional thing I bring is the bags to put used product in. The ship can be miserly with that, and I do not think your daughter at 13 would feel comfortable asking the steward for extras.

SURFBOARDS!!! LOL!!!

Thank you, that was priceless.

I agree with you in that I don't think there's really that much space taken up. There's also, um, squishable, so will fit in tiny spaces. Ditch the box, that's what takes space. YES on the extra bags. Don't rush her to tampons, tho, if she's not ready. Have that discussion with her so she knows her options.

Depending on how it is with her, bring the Pamprin or Midol or whatever it is that eases her symptoms. If it's usually a heating pad, there are some wonderful 'adhesive hot pads' now that I would recommend. The better you can do at keeping this a 'ho hum routine' the better to keep her from losing focus on the fun part of the cruise. Poor kid. becoming a woman can in many ways be a big fat drag.

You should ask your DR. There are ways to delay menstruation. If you are on the pill, you can keep taking it the week you are supposed to stop. There are other hormone pills they can give you too if you are not on the pill. Nothing is totally risk free, but most methods are very low risk if you are not over 40 and not a smoker. :)

I have used Depo Provera (sp) for the last five years and it is wonderful. I get a shot every three months and my body does not go into "that time". I know someone who was afraid she'd get her time on vacation so she went and had one shot to just make sure her vacation was not interrupted and was really happy she did. It did take her a couple months to get back on a schedule after the three months, but she still thinks it was worth it.

:eek: How long do the bananas hold off the curse?

Not too sure. I started eating them about 3 days before and then stopped for about 2 days and started eating one once a day again because I got some spotting, but then it went away. Once I stopped eating them after the second time the friendly visitor came back about 4 days later. It was pretty cool! :D

I would definitely bring my own and also get the ones that are prepackaged singles. They are easier to store thoughout spots in the suitcase and you can just pop them your bags when out to port.

I agree with the poster that said maybe you can work out trying the thin and/or teen tampons if you have some time before you leave. I guess maybe some young kids don't want to, but for me, I had a mom and two older sisters and I think I only used pads my very first month. I couldn't imagine her not being able to go on water excursions, the beach, swimming, etc.... at age 13 on a cruise.

Jungle Jane,

I remember the "dreaded "belt". :o

Surfboards...LOL :D

I have to tell y'all a funny story.

Back in the early 60's, my mother was having bridge club. Out comes my little brother with Kotex pads on each hand. They were decorated with markers into little faces, as he had made hand puppets out of them. Not knowing exactly what he had on his hands, my mother asked where he had found the puppets. He replied "under the girls bathroom sink".

Fast forward many years to when my own son came scooting out on our hardwood floors with pads stuck on the bottom of his feet. He thought that mama's self-stick feminine pads would make great ski's. :eek:

Thanks yeya21! I will pass this trick on to my daughters. I am past needing it. ;)

I agree with the poster that said maybe you can work out trying the thin and/or teen tampons if you have some time before you leave. I guess maybe some young kids don't want to, but for me, I had a mom and two older sisters and I think I only used pads my very first month. I couldn't imagine her not being able to go on water excursions, the beach, swimming, etc.... at age 13 on a cruise.

I learned about Tampons after my first since I refused to have another period if I had to wear that gear again. Mom handed me a tampon and explained it and said do not tell your grandma. Like I was going to.

The age 13 is very sensitive, poor kid will think everyone knows and is looking at her. A reason I suggested finding your own sanitary bags. Might also want to have her speak with other developed girls since at that age that is all who they listen to so she is more comfortable with maturing. She will learn she is not the only one.

Oh man, the “time” has happened to me on my last (only) 2 cruises and I timed this one perfect. To my surprise it decided on it’s own to change course, now with my 10 year anniversary cruise coming I am going to ask my DR what I can do to stop it!! Any ideas ladies?

Good luck!!

I was VERY irregular last year (thyroid problem) and had it way too long. The Dr gave me norethin ace to stop the bleeding. I told her I was going on a cruise a few months after the problem and she gave me a week's supply just in case I needed it-which I didn't.

I wouldn't take anything long term but this just did the trick.

As for the original poster, take whatyour DD needs from home. The extra room in the suitcase will come in handy for the souvenirs for the trip home. (It also acts as great packing for the wine bottles in the luggage 02)

Archived