Just for girls-question re: "that" time

I just wanted to chime in and tell the OP how much I appreciate the fact that she started this thread. It never even DAWNED on me but, my own 13 year old DD will most likely have her own little visitor while we're on the ship. I don't keep track of her schedule, just mine. So, thank you for reminding me to be prepared and for those that posted with sound advice. Sometimes, these questions just need to be asked.

(whew... I can't even begin to think how mortified she'd be if we weren't prepared) :eek:

Somewhat off topic but I just want to add that my DD is only 6 but this thread is making me sad thinking of how quickly girls grow up. :(

Did you all cry when your daughter's visitor first arrived? I know I will - not in front of her, but I will. :(

Want 1 more funny story?? When I was a kid in "the belt" years, some pads came wrapped in white paper instead of the different colors of plastic that they come in now, they were not folded and were not thin. My brother and I were about 5 and 6 and he came and told me that mom was "hiding ice cream sandwiches" in the bathroom! He took me in there and showed me, there they were. Why were they not melting? Why were they in the bathroom closet? She must not want to share them. We just stood there staring...

Can you STAND IT???

Anyway, we have talked about tampons and I did get her the teeny-tiniest ones they have and offered to help her figure them out when she's ready. She says she's not ready yet, that it seems "GROSS". She will change her mind someday I'm sure, and I will bring those along too in case she feels like being adventurous rather than missing out on the water stuff we have planned.

I did not cry when she first got hers b'c I was expecting it and she was well prepared. We talk about everything and always have. When I had her I made a vow to myself to not leave her in the dark about everything like my mother did.

Glad you ladies are enjoying this thread :) (and you guys too-we KNOW you're there! LOL!)

And alphakitty -- GO PATS!! :) :)

Did you all cry when your daughter's visitor first arrived? I know I will - not in front of her, but I will. :(

My daughter and I had a "woman's day", we had manicures, pedicures, haircuts, went out to lunch and I took her shopping. It was just her and I and we had a wonderful day.

Sue, we did something similar. Before it came I told her that when it did come she'd be the "Period Princess" and we'd go to her fav place to eat and then go to Toys R Us and get a new video game. Kinda made the anticipation of it coming a little easier for her. She's a tomboy and wasn't into the whole mani/pedi thing, but she got her video game and a big ol' seafood platter and she was a happy little Period Princess :)

Being a tomboy she is not one to carry a purse, so we had to address the question of how to have her personals with her when needed at school. I made her a little pouch with a square of fabric and a length of elastic, she wears that around her waist under her jeans and no one is the wiser. She can even wear it under her basketball shorts and you can't see a thing. It's about 6 inches wide and she generally wears it with the pouch flipped around to the back and her t shirt covers it up. She loads it up with however many she needs for the day and has even had supplies handy for a friend in need a couple of times.

Believe me you had better take everything she'll need with you. On our last AOS cruise, the gift shop ran out of everything! There was a poor woman in there who was due to board a prepaid snorkeling tour early the next morning directly from the ship and she couldn't find any supplies of anything. As we all know, that is not a good fix to be in.

Just a true piece of advice, prepare for Aunt Flo with any teenage daughter. I am much older than my sister, she had her first on vacation. Our mother wanted me to give her the facts of life. I just bought supplies and told mom she is your daughter.

I swear my sister spent two hours in the bathroom that first time and we could not figure out what she was doing.

It was good we were not a a cruise since selection is limited, if the shop is even open. Think about it, Aunt Flo on port day whne the shops are closed. Very good to plan for the worst in these situations.

Oh man, the “time” has happened to me on my last (only) 2 cruises and I timed this one perfect. To my surprise it decided on it’s own to change course,

They had just that very thread on the Carnival boards. It seems most people reporting, got a visit no matter what time of month. I even got a vist after being a "mature" (can't admit to menopausal)woman for over a year. So, mom the odds are if she is close, the visit will come:(

Looks like this thread is getting almost as many views as liquor in the cabin;)

I get my period every time I travel, whether it's due or not :eek:, so after having had to scramble to find supplies in strange cities, I always bring my own.

Funny story: when I was 14, my parents, 20 y/o cousin and I went to Spain. On our last day there, my period arrived and my cousin and I set of to a drugstore to get pads (I hadn't discovered tampons yet). Even though I'm Spanish speaking, the word for sanitary pads is not the same in Spain as in PR. And at that time (1972) there were no self-service drugstores, you had to go to the counter to ask for what you wanted. Of course it was a young male clerk. Of course we had to spend several minutes figuring out what I wanted (not "sanitary napkins" but "hygienic compresses"). Fine. But I wasn't ready for his next question: "Washable or disposable?" :eek: :D :p

Okay I usually NEVER share in these things simply because to each their own - it can all be such a personal choice and each of my 2 DDs currently prefer pads unless water sports are involved (15 and 12) but one day I hope they'll follow in my footsteps.

8 years ago I went with http://www.keeper.com/ and have never looked back - saved money, never have to worry about supplies, actually not messy (or messier then traditional) and has greatly reduced cramping, etc.

Anyway, may be TMI for some (or many) but in case no one has ever heard of them - I think it is one of the best inventions ever!

I didn't cry when my DD started, but I was at work when in happened, and DH was trying to help her figure out the pads (which I gave her just in case I wasn't around). He's an engineer, but he couldn't figure out the 'wings'!:rolleyes: :D

OMG!!! That is way to funny!!! LOL

I can picture my DH & DD in that too :D :D

Ha Ha Cruzin' Daddy! That'll teach you!!!!

babybumblb- Power to ya for finding something that works for you, but that is so not for me. :eek: !!! Part of me wants to ask more about that out of sheer curiosity, but part of me almost loses my dinner at the thought of that thing. <<heeby jeeby>> Thanks for sharing anyway, it might be just what someone is looking for. :)

Ha Ha Cruzin' Daddy! That'll teach you!!!!

babybumblb- Power to ya for finding something that works for you, but that is so not for me. :eek: !!! Part of me wants to ask more about that out of sheer curiosity, but part of me almost loses my dinner at the thought of that thing. <<heeby jeeby>> Thanks for sharing anyway, it might be just what someone is looking for. :)

LOL Little bugs me which helps - but really it's not bad at all. But that is why I usually too keep quiet - but I know there may just be someone else out there who might benefit, so.... :)

Mine, too, always came while on a cruise. I'd be in so much pain some days that I'd stay in bed all day while DH and kids went out and enjoyed the ports. Lucky for me, I've had a cryo-ablation and haven't had to deal with my "special visitor" in about a year and a half. What makes it even better, I don't have to deal with the effects of hormone loss that comes with a hysterectomy, at only 31.

To the OP: I hope your DD lucks out and doesn't have to deal with this while on your cruise. I'd be sure to take her products, just in case. I've never seen them in any of the ship stores while on a cruise. I guess I'll be having to deal with this situation in the next few years. My DD is 9.

I have used Depo Provera (sp) for the last five years and it is wonderful. I get a shot every three months and my body does not go into "that time". I know someone who was afraid she'd get her time on vacation so she went and had one shot to just make sure her vacation was not interrupted and was really happy she did. It did take her a couple months to get back on a schedule after the three months, but she still thinks it was worth it.

I use the Depo Shot too and absolutely love it, no monthly for the last 6 years has been the best and my doctor said it is perfectly safe to stay on until Menopause (yikes, that's creeping up on me, already getting the hot flashes)

But it does make vacations so much nicer not having to worry about that. In fact it makes every day nicer, LOL

I am not recommending this for the 13 year old of course, this is for the other women who mentioned they always seem to get it on their cruises.

Somewhat off topic but I just want to add that my DD is only 6 but this thread is making me sad thinking of how quickly girls grow up. :(

I did not cry but she was only 11 and she cried a lot because she did not want this yet. She was well aware of what it was since we had talked and she had been with me when I had to change way before it happened. I was hoping it would wait till she was 13 or so... And it happend on one of these days where we had a special occasion and were rushed by time.

Okay I usually NEVER share in these things simply because to each their own - it can all be such a personal choice and each of my 2 DDs currently prefer pads unless water sports are involved (15 and 12) but one day I hope they'll follow in my footsteps.

8 years ago I went with http://www.keeper.com/ and have never looked back - saved money, never have to worry about supplies, actually not messy (or messier then traditional) and has greatly reduced cramping, etc.

Anyway, may be TMI for some (or many) but in case no one has ever heard of them - I think it is one of the best inventions ever!

Funny you should mention this. I am 42 years old and did not know that kind of protection existed until last weekend when I read an article. I am going to buy a "Divacup" this weekend, hope I like this as much as you do your keepers :D !

When we were on the MOS in September, One of my friends was in need of some female products and the gift shop was close and the restroom was out. I had 2 RCCL key chains and at the pool party I yelled out I would give them out to the first person that could produce the products needed. She got what she needed...LOL.

Then a woman's husband came up and asked me to find his wife some products. I ran back to my cabin and grabbed 2 more key chains...One girl and one guy produced tampons. :D

Now thats a first lol.. good thinking

Wow! What interesting reading!! :D I can chime in on a few different areas here. First, my daughter is almost 11 so I know "her friend" will be coming in the next couple of years. (If her moodiness is any indication - we aren't far away!!) Thanks for the tips on how to handle that day and make it special.

Also, when I was about the same age as the OP's DD, I got that lovely friend on a camping trip with extended family. I won't give too much information but it was greatly impacting my vacation, activities, and riding a bike on the trails. So, my aunt taught me about tampons and although I was grossed out at first, I ended up using them being so relieved that I could function at the activities "normally" again. You may want to bring some teen tampons just in case. I agree with the post who said that she won't want to miss out on the fun, especially in the water.

And, lastly, I'm due for "it" during my March cruise. I swear that I have it on every vacation. I will definitely try the bananas idea! I'll take any amount of time and try any idea that I can to put it off.

OP, enjoy your cruise!! You'll have to let us know how she made out!

Archived