Just back from Pearl 5 day

NoVaCruiser60

Initial Impressions; happy to answer any questions:

Overall, a super cruise. First, what we did: Ate at all the specialty restaurants except Mambos, only had one meal (lunch on embarkation) at the main dining room, breakfast daily at the Garden Café or its extension, the Great Outdoors. Took no excursions, but did wander down to Los Cinco Soles/Pancho’s Backyard in Cozumel. Saw one J-A Ryan show and one 2nd City show. Hit the exercise room and thermal treatment in the spa every day. Did the Martini and Margarita tastings. Climbed the rock wall and bowled in the Bliss Ultra lounge.

Now, what we liked: Food quality was excellent. Whoever said NCL food is equivalent to Ruby Tuesday’s was smoking Ganja; maybe it’s different in the regular dining rooms, but in the specialty restaurants, the quality was excellent. Portion sizes are not huge, but that is normal when serving higher quality food, and appetizers/desserts are “all-you-want.”

Service remained excellent. Our room stewards (Myla and Francisco) quickly completed any task we gave them, and they did a great job learning our daily routine and adjusting their cleaning/prepping regimen to our needs. All the dining wait staffs were courteous, quick, and efficient. Everybody else was always smiling and wishing us well, even when reminding us to “sanitize our hands” as we went, well, anywhere.

The extras were all quite fun: bowling was a hoot, the drink tastings were (hiccup) even more fun, and the rock wall is fun for all ages.

What we learned:

The Chocolate fondue is gone; the waiter in Le Bistro just laughed when we asked whether there was any way to get it (some on CC suggested it was just off-menu).

When the Garden Café is full, the Great Outdoors usually has seating and (mostly) the same food.

If you can carry your luggage, express debarkation is the way to go. You can be the first off the ship, or leave anytime. Great freestyle extension.

We found no mention of early/late discounts at the specialty restaurants.

What we didn’t like:

The Maitre D’ at le Bistro who tried to convince me the best way to fend off nausea is to “eat faster.” When you’re seriously fighting the urge to hurl at dinner, you don’t need that kind of help.

Adult supervision at the Spa thermal suite. It is supposed to be a silent area where one can sit and relax. Sadly, some groups thought it was just an indoor hot tub, and the staff seemed incapable of getting them to quiet down.

Some ideas for NCL:

Only one free espresso/cappuccino machine on the entire ship? Most folks didn’t even know it was there, at the back of the Garden Café. Add another one midship, probably in the Blue Lagoon.

Add some signs to entry doors to the spa, and have those getting spa passes sign a release explaining it is a quiet area and they can forfeit their spa privileges if they don’t abide by the rules. Have someone sufficiently authoritative drop by the spa on occasion to enforce it. This may be extreme, but when I tried to reason with some rowdy guests on this, they just laughed and said “go get the manager.” The young ladies at the Spa desk were not capable of restoring order.

And, as always, some signs and notices about the jogging track. People wander on it, or walkers go on it, but its narrow and the ONLY place a jogger can run outdoors on the ship. A little awareness would go a long way here.

Overall, a great trip, and the minor annoyances were just that.

2boyzmom: good question. I was worried about it, but we had no problems with reservations for two any night.

IMPORTANT NOTE: at least on the Pearl, NCL moved the opening time for reservations back to 0800 (vice 0700) ship time. This was a very good idea, as getting up and standing in line or calling at 0700 does not sound like vacation to me.

We ate at 1800 or 1830 nightly, and the one morning I forgot to reserve at Cagneys, I was still able to get a table for two for 1830, even though I called at 1000!

BTW, you can walk over to Mambos, call 050, or reserve at the front of the Garden Cafe (very convenient).

Great review, thanks for posting it. When you eat at breakfast at the Great Outdoors is that a buffet or do you order from a menu? Did you have problems finding loungers outside by the pool or is there spots you can find away from the pool? Thank you.

To the OP...

You mentioned the Chocolate fondue is gone in Le Bistro. Less than two weeks ago I started a thread asking all recent cruisers on NCL ships if Chocolate Fondue is still available in Le Bistro. Several folks responded, "Yes" and not one person said it was gone.

I wonder what happened in the last two weeks. With the advent of Freestyle 2.0, why would NCL take away something that cruisers have come to look forward to when dining in Le Bistro??? The Chocolate Fondue is Le Bistro's signature desert.

Janiceah: Great Outdoors is buffet, no menu. As to the loungers, the chair hogs were out in force, but if you are willing to go up on the sundeck, or the small deck aft, you can find loungers.

coffeebean: I think your original post was what got me to ask. It wasn't on the menu in LeB, we asked if we could still get it, and the waiter said "it was on the old menu, but no more."

I hope NCL reconsiders.

Great review, thanks for posting it. When you eat at breakfast at the Great Outdoors is that a buffet or do you order from a menu? Did you have problems finding loungers outside by the pool or is there spots you can find away from the pool? Thank you.

Great Outdoors is a buffet and one of the best kept secrets on the ship. Hardly ever a line or a wait for anything and it is mostly the same food as the Garden Cafe, inlcuding made to order omlettes. You have to walk through the Garden Cafe to get to the Great Outdoors. So if you see anything there you would like that isn't outside, grab it and take it with you. IMO it is the best spot on the ship to eat breakfast and relax in the evenings with a cup of coffee or tea...as long as the weather is nice.

As far as loungers go, the higher up the ship you travel, the more empty loungers you will find. On deck 13, forward along the sides were usually some empty loungers and it near the Sky High bar. Its another little kept secret that most of the cruisers don't know. You are close to the food and drinks, and away from the noise.

To the OP...

You mentioned the Chocolate fondue is gone in Le Bistro. Less than two weeks ago I started a thread asking all recent cruisers on NCL ships if Chocolate Fondue is still available in Le Bistro. Several folks responded, "Yes" and not one person said it was gone.

I wonder what happened in the last two weeks. With the advent of Freestyle 2.0, why would NCL take away something that cruisers have come to look forward to when dining in Le Bistro??? The Chocolate Fondue is Le Bistro's signature desert.

coffeebean,

Ate choc. fondue 3x on the Gem = just got off the ship today. They even have it on the menu.

One of the goals of freestyle 2.0 will be consistency ship to ship. Obviously with the issue of choc. fondue, that is currently not the case.:(

It will be waiting for you on the Gem, no worries.:D

What we didn’t like:

Adult supervision at the Spa thermal suite. It is supposed to be a silent area where one can sit and relax. Sadly, some groups thought it was just an indoor hot tub, and the staff seemed incapable of getting them to quiet down.

Hi Pat!

I wholeheartedly agree with your opinions about the spa. I got up and left the thermal area one day because of a particularly noisy group. Moved into the ladies locker area and they followed me in there, and I wound up just going back to my balcony for peace and quiet.

My only other big complaint about this cruise was the HUGE group of kids on this ship. The lack of parental supervision was what annoyed me most. We happened to go to the final session of bingo, and the kids disrupted the entire thing, yelling "BINGO" after every single number called. VERY annoying and the parents just sat there and laughed. Every time we were near a staircase, there were kids STOMPING up and down the stairs, running, yelling, etc, like the ship was their own personal playground. No respect for others. We were returning to our stateroom one evening and there were 2 boys having a screaming, cursing fight in the hallway, and wouldn't even let us get by.

Which is why I was so glad you told us of the benefits of the Thermal suite in the spa area...........just wish NCL would have enforced the "Silence is a bliss in this spa" as posted on the walls.

We very much enjoyed our dinner with you and Judy at Bennigan's on Saturday evening. Sorry we didn't see you towards the end of the cruise to say good bye. Please email me that restaurant website when you get a chance!

Hi Ruth!

I think the ones I ran into in the spa were mid-twenties, but I could be wrong. I guess we got lucky in not running into them more often. We too enjoyed the dinner and talk at Bennigan's the night before the cruise.

The web site to check on good places to eat is Chowhound.com; I am posting it here so others can use it too! Anytime you travel, check it out for great dining suggestions; it has never steered me wrong.

Enjoy

Archived