Is it going to be right for us?

Ski-Lady

Well, after finding out our sons will all be else where for Thanksgiving, a friend and I have decided to book the Independence of the Sea for 11-23-08. We are both mid-aged (hate to have to admit it), single women. Both of us are very active for our age, working out several time a week. We tend to be up early and out late.

Looking at the ship we like the rock wall, pools, Flow Zone and ice skating. Spa and fitness center look nice too. For shore excursion we were thinking zip line, cave tubing, scuba/snorkeling. Maybe some biking or ATVs. We are not big drinkers but like a drink or two now and then, so some bar time.

Question. With this being a holiday cruise and kids out of school, will we be over run with kids doing the things we want to do or are there going to be some people in our age range.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a kid hater. In the summer months I teach water skiing, so I spend a lot of time with them and I enjoy it! It just that I don't have much patience with parents that just turn their kids loose with little regard to how they treat other people. When I do ski school and lessons an adult has to be there too. Ski schools is not babysitting. I raised my kids and don't want to babysitting other people's kids.

We do have late dinner setting in the main dinning room, thinking there would less kids then. Are there areas that are off limits to kids? It may be asking a lot, but is there also a adult only pool area?

I know we would probably be better off with a different sailing but my friend has already put in for her vacation time and can't change it now. It was done when she thought her boys would be home for Thanksgiving. Neither one of us wants to be home alone then.

Thanks in advance

Deb

There is the adults only solarium pool where you have to be over 16 and in our experience they are very strict. You are smart to take late seating as families with young children most like early.

That is a vacation time but you will find plenty of people of all ages.

YAY! I've been waiting for some friends!! We're booked too. and we are a family of 5 and I have another friend who is a family of 5... our kids are the same age. We just went on Liberty last year with the kids and unless you plan on hanging out in Adventure Ocean, the kids pool, the Arcade, or at the flow rider the whole time you will most likely not notice all the kids on this upcoming trip. We constantly had to go and find our kids in these far remote spots when we wanted to see them. The adult pool is all Adults - no kids. the fitness center is amazing - no kids! You will meet plenty of people of all ages! and this trip is pricey when compared to others as I'm sure you know so hopefully you'll avoid some of the travelers you're thinking of. stop by meet and mingle!!

Even if there are alot of kids onboard, you won't be unduly bothered--RCI does a fabulous job of keeping kids occupied and they're hardly ever seen just roaming around. They keep them busy!

The exception will be the pool area but if you go up a deck and find a seat some distance from the pool, you won't be bothered there, either!

We sailed the Liberty over Thanksgiving in 2007 and it really never felt overrun with kids, there were also plenty of places to be just adult when desired! It honestly felt less overrun then our previous experience on the Navigator although they said we pretty much had 1/3 of the ship as kids. I think you'll have a fabulous time. I really did feel like the Freedom class feels less crowded then the Voyager class and that truly helped when you wanted an escape. Even all the major activities like the flowrider never truly felt overrun!

Have a great time!

Thank you all for your answers. This site has been very helpful. The last time I cruised was 20 years ago. Seems to be some changes since then, for the good in most cases.

Kids are now having a fit that I won't be home for Thanksgiving but, to bad. It seems that they can't get used to the idea of mom being on her own. Get used to it boys, I'm 50 not dead!! LOL

Question. With this being a holiday cruise and kids out of school, will we be over run with kids doing the things we want to do or are there going to be some people in our age range.

Deb

Deb,

Go and have fun and don't worry too much ahead of time. I always do this then have a great time and regret the time spent over thinking it. There might be more kids than normal but besides the solarium Sue has mentioned, you might enjoy the library or even the game room while the kids are at the pool in mass. There are so many places to enjoy you won't have trouble finding "your" spot. My wife loves the top deck -- while I enjoy being by the pool (in the shade) trying to read while all the action is going on!

I can almost guarantee you will love it!

Merle

Archived