Grand Cayman?

MikeandAmy

It appears that GC will be out of reach to any tourists for quite awhile. All the reports I have read have there streets still flooded and lots of infrastructure damaged. HAL has taken GC from next week's sailing too. :(

Check this out from the Miami Herald...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/9676383.htm

And from what I'm seeing/hearing on the net, even if they did get the harbor up and running, the island is so devistated you wouldn't want to visit there anyway.

I'm personally not too convinced that my Dec cruise will stop there! But like I say, that's just my opinion (and hopefully everything will be fixed long before that).

Now we can start speculating on what the various cruise lines might do as a substitute if they can't stop. Extra Sea day? How bout going to Key West (that would satisfy my wife)? ;-)

-Monte

Please no Key West!!!! I would rather stop anywhere than there. We have been there quite a few times and I'm still not impressed! I'd love to stop somewhere in Mexico. I love it there! On second thought, any stop is better than land-locked Indiana so I'll take it!

Aw come on. My "exotic" W. Carribean cruise already makes a Mexico stop.

Now if I can just figure out the exotic part----(as opposed to the other W. Carribbean cruises).

Key West is where my wife wants to go, I'm happy with any stop.

-Monte

There is a lot of information on Grand Cayman's status under the Ports of Call section of Cruise Critic. You can check there for updates: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147

For now, there are no ships stopping at Grand Cayman. Ivan completely devastated the place. It will be weeks before cruise ships will be stopping there again.

Please no Key West!!!! I would rather stop anywhere than there. We have been there quite a few times and I'm still not impressed! I'd love to stop somewhere in Mexico. I love it there! On second thought, any stop is better than land-locked Indiana so I'll take it!

Isn't it amazing how different we are from one another. I have been to both the Mexican side of the gulf and Key West. Not that Key West is the best port in the world, but I prefer it to Cozumel or Cancun. To each his own: just put me on the ship and I will be fine.

NMnita

Was just talking to someone who does a lot of business in Grand Cayman - they have been devastated by the hurricane. 50% of the homes have been destroyed/ruined - all condos on 7 Mile Beach had their first floors flooded (and some had their second floors flooded). The storm was so bad that the top of a 150' radio tower was sheared off and the tower fell over. The police station that is 2 1/2 blocks from the beach got destroyed. The entire east end of the island was cut off from the west end by water. So-o-o, I wouldn't be surprised if any cruise ships will be going there soon. Being an island - they have to import everything to rebuild. I also heard that all of the tenders for the cruise ships were damaged. We are going on the Sun on 10/16 and I doubt if we will be stopping there.

I know someone that lives in Grand Cayman and there is no water and the island has been severely damaged. Flights are mainly going out and if you fly in they are restricting people's entrance to prove they are Caymanian residents. Perhaps they are fearing entry from other devastated islands. Check out http://caymanport.com/webcam/

Isn't it amazing how different we are from one another. I have been to both the Mexican side of the gulf and Key West. Not that Key West is the best port in the world, but I prefer it to Cozumel or Cancun. To each his own: just put me on the ship and I will be fine.

NMnita

It is interesting to see the differences in what people like. I would be fairly excited to stop in Cancun b/c we have never been there. We have discussed doing a land stay there but have backed out everytime b/c we have heard so many sketchy things about it. This would be a good way to see it. Any stop would be better than another sea day. A 5 day cruise with 4 sea days is just too much for me (and for my 1 year old I'm sure). I would much rather be able to take her to a beach SOMEWHERE than another day of not being allowed in the KIDDIE pool.

With that being said, I wish everyone affected by all of these storms a safe and speedy recovery.

It is interesting to see the differences in what people like. I would be fairly excited to stop in Cancun b/c we have never been there. We have discussed doing a land stay there but have backed out everytime b/c we have heard so many sketchy things about it. This would be a good way to see it. Any stop would be better than another sea day. A 5 day cruise with 4 sea days is just too much for me (and for my 1 year old I'm sure). I would much rather be able to take her to a beach SOMEWHERE than another day of not being allowed in the KIDDIE pool.

With that being said, I wish everyone affected by all of these storms a safe and speedy recovery.

I agree with you 100%. A 5 day cruise with only 1 or 2 ports sucks. That is one reason I like NCL: they have lots of port days, but sometimes too many for me: DH would like to find a way to have 6 ports in 7 days. I like 4 port in 7 days. As of Cancun, Cozumel, etc. everyone needs to see these ports one and then judge for themselves. Happy cruisin and take care of that little cutey!!!!!!!!!! :NMNita

NMNita, thanks it's nice not to be told all the reasons why she should be left at home! (Sorry, that's another topic entirely....)

One quick question: how do Cozumel and Cancun compare? We've been to Cozumel 3/4? times. I also think 4 ports in 7 days is perfect, just the right amount of activity and rest.

The ship docks at Cozumel, you have to be tendered into Cancun. There is shopping right off the dock at any of the docks in Cancun, whether at the down town docks or the dock a little farther away. There is a very pretty beach where the tenders drop off the passengers in Cancun, and you almost have to get a taxi to get to a beach in Cozumel. There is the Flamingo shopping center in Cancun in the hotel district, kind of like the shopping centers here in the states but with a little Mexican flavor, with free transportation from the tender docks. Parasailing right by the tender docks in Cancun. I think Cancun is prettier and cleaner than Cozumel. Many times however, it is too rough to tender in Cancun, so that stop is missed. Out of three cruises that we have been on that have scheduled it, we made it once.

NMNita, thanks it's nice not to be told all the reasons why she should be left at home! (Sorry, that's another topic entirely....)

One quick question: how do Cozumel and Cancun compare? We've been to Cozumel 3/4? times. I also think 4 ports in 7 days is perfect, just the right amount of activity and rest.

How do they compare? Well, I personally like Cozumel much better. It is prettier, a little more like what I think a port should be and better tours plus the best shopping in the western Caribbean; that doesn't mean it has great shopping as you know; shopping should be done in St Thomas, St Martin and islands like that. Anyway, I am not a Cancun person; we will probably get off the ship for just a few minutes, then enjoy some quiet time around the pool or take advantage of the cheaper spa treatments.

You are right about the little one; you didn't ask whether you should or shouldn't cruise with her and no one should make any comments. Have a great time. NMNita

I go to Cancun about once a year to stay at one of the (kazillion) resorts. Love it!! Cancun (IMO) is best for land-based vacations, as there is so much to do (beaches, shopping, clubs, etc.). Cozumel is great for a one-day cruise ship stop. Cancun - no.

Was just on a web site regarding the caymans, although the damage in extensive the goal for cruise travel is Nov. 1. I guess we will have to wait and see. Talked to my TA yesterday and told furture travel was unsure. Apparently a princess ship docked the a few days ago with a supplies much needed by the island. Passangers were apparently on board but obviously not allowed to tender. It took Princess and their staff 6 hours to unload all this supplies. I found this info by accident while looking for Cayman updates. I'm also sailing on the spirit 10-31

I wonder when they/NCL will let us know if we are going somewhere else than Grand Cayman. It is less than a month away now. I hope it is not just another day at sea so we only stop at Roatan. :confused:

They may not let you know at all or certainly not til just a few weeks out as they probably don't know for sure where they will head. I know what you mean about just another day at sea. I am one that rather enjoys extra sea days, but DH would be happy if we could find a way to do 7 ports in 7 days.

NMNita

Was just on a web site regarding the caymans, although the damage in extensive the goal for cruise travel is Nov. 1.

Here's hoping that target date can be met, as I'm scheduled to be there on November 9th!

I don't mind being sent to another port, but I'd like to know as soon as possible so I can make plans for an excursion there...

I wonder when they/NCL will let us know if we are going somewhere else than Grand Cayman. It is less than a month away now. I hope it is not just another day at sea so we only stop at Roatan. :confused:

They will let you know the week you sail like if your ship leaves on Sunday the Captain will decide on Thursday or Friday what he will do. So people are reporting that they are not being told there exact changes until a couple hours after sailing.

Spoke with our cruise agent yesterday and RCCL is telling him that they are planning on resuming their port in GC in beginning of Oct. Everything that I am reading states that they are quickly rebuilding all of the tourist areas, so it might actually work out for our cruise Oct24 on Explorer

...but GC is still closed to cruise ships and will be until at least November 15 according to a government offical:

From caymannetnews.com http://www.caymannetnews.com/2004/09/740/emergency.shtml

...Mr Bush also confirmed that the tourism industry infrastructure is expected to be ready to reopen by November 15, in time for the traditional influx of visitors to the island over the US Thanksgiving Day holiday....

The "Mr Bush" to which this article is referring is the Hon. McKeeva Bush, Leader of Government Business on Grand Cayman. The article was dated Sunday September 26.

Holland America has announced on its web site that it will not be stopping in Grand Cayman. They are offering a port substitution (I forget which, but it's in their announcement).

Here's what a Carnival passenger wrote yesterday:

I am on the Conquest right now, and we got a sea day in place of Grand Cayman. I really wanted a port substitution. The poor people at Carnival Customer Service have a standard answer "no change to your itinerary at this time." They told me that even when I called the day before we sailed.

We got a letter when we got in line for our sail n sign cards stating "Grand Cayman stop cancelled." Our port charges $25 were refunded.

The crew's saying they estimate GC won't be back on as an active port for two to three months.

Chances are, RCCL will do the same as Carnival: notifiy you when you get on board that you will not be stopping at GC and then give you either a port substitution or a sea day.

Archived