To tender or not to tender

Lohe

I am going to be taking an Alaskan cruise. Where can I find out where the ship must use tenders to disembark passengers at a port?

Look up your itinerary on the Princess site & if there is a tender port, it will be noted as such. Our last cruise had 2, and an upcoming one has 1. I went to AK in 1999 and am going again this year, there are no tender ports on my itinerary (Voyage of the Glaciers). If you are going to Skagway, Juneau, & Ketchikan (the common 3), these are not tender ports. I believe Sitka is a tender port, if you are going there (not sure if Princess has any ships visiting there, though).

Note that when I went in 1999, we sailed out of Seward & due to the weather (extremely windy that day), we had to board via tender. Not to be sarcastic, but if anyone is concerned about a tender PORT, just think what it is like to disembark the entire ship's passengers AND their luggage, and then embark the next group plus luggage -- all via tender. It was a logistical nightmare, but it all worked out. :eek:

I am going to be taking an Alaskan cruise. Where can I find out where the ship must use tenders to disembark passengers at a port?

I assume you want to know before booking so you can make your selection based on tendering or no tendering. For Alaska the problem is some ports like Juneau or Ketchikan are docking ports but they have limited capability. So when too many ships are in for that day, then some must tender while others tie up. Sitka is always a tender port because they do not have docking facilities.

So if it is very important, say due to limited mobility, for specific ships and itineraries your best bet might be to ask (on this board) someone who has done that trip. But even then, things could change because there might have been room to dock and their trip, but not yours or someone else has precedence.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Unless you have some type of mobility problems, tendering is no big deal.

If you are using cane, crutch, walker, wheelchair or power chair, be aware Princess staff are there to help you get ashore. Don’t be concerned.

Archived