Advice for Princess Suite Passenger

We always sail Princess in a suite and are thinking of trying a suite on the Independence of the Seas. Is their anyone out there that can tell me how comparable the 2 lines are. Will we be happy with RCCL and how their suites compared to Princess. We are in our late 30s, like fine wine and great food. Also, how is Chops?

As far as food is concerned, I doubt that you'll find the offerings on RCI to be as "upscale" as princess. In the past, maybe, but not anymore! Think along the lines of Outback, or Chilis or that type of chain restaurant.

However, Chops and Portofino DO you you a better quality--both in taste and presentation. (It's what RCI USED to serve in the dining room, but now they charge extra for!)

While I enjoyed many of the meals served in the dining room on Princess which had a slightly greater variety of offerings than available from RCI's menus, I did not find the food in the buffet restaurant to be any more "upscale" than the food I have eaten in RCI's Windjammers. Food is a very subjective topic and even its preparation and presentation can vary considerably from cruise to cruise, so I would beware of generalizations or comparisons. On our Princess cruises we have had outside staterooms with balconies and not suites, so can't compare them. I will say that the outside rooms with balcony that we had on our Princess cruises (2 on Dawn Princess, 1 on Sapphire Princess) were smaller and less well set up than their equivalent on any of our RCI cruises. I was also disappointed to learn that your room service menu selections are more limited on Princess if you are in anything less than a mini-suite. There is no such distinction on RCI.

I was on the Grand in a mini suite at New Years and just returned from the Freedom where I had a JR suite. The JR suite had a more spacious feel to it, better drawer storage too.

Stateroom attendants, equal on each.

Staff, a bit more outgoing on RCI. Princess, very helpful when needed, as are RCI crew. Captain on my Prin cruise was a bit grumpy the week I was on, a first in cruising on any line for me to see.

Dining Room food, enjoyed Princess much more. Buffet, food wise, slightly better on Princess but *moveability* around in each, the edge goes to RCI.

Drink prices, I found them cheaper on Princess.

Chops or Portofino, each good in their own way.

Keep in mind, you are not suppose to bring your own *bottles* on RCI. I'll leave it to those that do/have/try to tell you how that works and well as info on wines available.

We are Diamond Members on RCCL but went on a Princess cruise in December.

We aenjoy RCCL more. The buffet in Windjammer is better and amuch larger more open room. The food in the dining room was equal. Room service choices are more on RCCL. Princess never had a midnight buffet, or barbeque by the pool. The captain on Princess was also a grumpy.

Archived