Kids Under 13 at Chops & Portofino

cruisewmn

I'm returning to Royal Caribbean after several years away and am disappointed to learn that children under 13 are not allowed in Chops and Portofino.

My son will be 12 1/2 at the time of our sailing and was looking forward to dining with us at Chops. Don't worry -- I'm not the type of person who would try to lie about his age to get him in to the restaurant. I respect the rules and understand why they are in place -- I realize some diners want a meal away from children and families and they should certainly be allowed this request.

I simply wish one night per cruise they would allow children into the specialty restaurants. I'm sure it would be a difficult reservation to get, but it would be nice to have a chance at eating in one of those premium venues as a family.

Okay, I'm ready to be flamed . . . :D

In speaking with crew on a previous cruise, they did indicate that the very first seating alows at the discretion of M/D allows behaved children under 13, specially was told my DD 7 could join us at the earliest seating if we so desired... granted that ship had neither specialty by crew had worked on several ships including those with both specialty Rs.

Ask, the worst they can say is no.

I say go for it but do the earliest time and maybe go on a formal night? My only reason is the people that go on the formal nights are usually the ones looking for a more laid back time, less stuffy and less likely to roll their eyes at any kids - this is just my opinion.

If you are seated before 6:00 pm you can have kids less than 13 with you.

People making reservations for 7-8 pm should keep this in mind as some of the young kids seated before 6 pm will be bored and getting fidgety by then.

This happened to us on the Mariner a few years ago. When we arrived for our 7 pm reservation, there was a young couple with 4 loud kids already in Chops. We canceled on the spot and headed for the Windjammer. :eek:

Note: Many young parents have young kids that are well behaved! :)

Our son has been going to Chops & Portofino's since he's been 8. He's 10 now and been on 10 cruises so he knows how to behave at dinner.( Of course that's my opinion :) We do have to book the 6 o'clock time, but that's okay with us.

Thanks trainman....I believe there's no better place to teach manners than on a cruise ship. Too many opportunities to show young people how to show respect. He's been taught well.....by his mother! :D

I definitely saw younger children from early reservations in Chops on Brilliance. It wouldn't have bothered me except for the little girl that was noisy and constantly running around the table.

too bad the M'atire d' didn't say something to the parents or seated them where they didn't seat them somewhere separate from the rest of the folks. We probably would have complained but we take an 8:30 or later reservation so that unless, they stretch the rules to include later seatings, we are ok.

Archived