Mercury Cabin 1152 advice please

raffles

I have had the above cabin booked for several months now after reading here that they had been refurbished and a balcony had been added.

Only recently I have read reviews such as "don't book this cabin whatever you do" about noise from above, lack of privacy, bad smells and so on.

I was aware about the noise and shuddering when docking / leaving however I didn't think that would be a problem for the short time involved.

I have had a look at the Celebrity site and there are none of the cabins recommended here as being "good" cabins available ie 1200, 1201 etc.

Can anyone please advise what I should do as this will be a very special cruise for me (and the most expensive - from UK) and I really don't want to be disapointed.

Obviously opinions are just that, I understand that and usually make my own decisions - but - if someone can advise on the facts re noise, lack of privacy etc and can make any other suggestions I would be so grateful.

Thank you in advance

but that was in 1998 (maiden year) when there were no balconies. I can tell you that we did not have any problems with noise from above......

Thank you for that information - what about the vibrations, is it as bad as some say ie so bad it rattles your teeth :eek: !!

Raffles, I would like to know as well. I have 1156 booked for an October Pacific Northwest cruise. That cabin is on the end and probably has less privacy than 1152 which is in the center.

I note that we are both on what was to be the inaugural cruise on the Independance on 17 May which has now been changed to 2nd May. Like you we can't change because of other arrangements but I do feel disapointed as I booked this cruise on the day the bookings opened to make sure I would be on the maiden voyage. To add insult to injury the cost for the 2nd May sailing is very much less than I paid for 17 May - perhaps they can't fill the ship:confused:

Anyhow back to the Mercury - I have done a search on the site for Mercury Aft cabins and am currently looking through the posts. It would be great if someone who has been in these cabins recently could respond to our concerns - many of the posts were from people who had been on short cruises and could "put up" with problem issues for a few days, we will be 14 nights and that could make a difference.

Can anyone out there help please?

Thank you

raffles, I can't help with the specifics on the cabin as I haven't stayed in one of these, but I was doing some research for an upcoming Hawaii trip on Mercury and this photo gives an idea of the balcony position from the outside cafe area above:

2668832640099099348ttRCZg_th.jpg

Click on the picture and it should bring it up full size.

Phil

raffles, I can't help with the specifics on the cabin as I haven't stayed in one of these, but I was doing some research for an upcoming Hawaii trip on Mercury and this photo gives an idea of the balcony position from the outside cafe area above:

Phil

This photo gives me a good idea as to the position. People above would have to be pretty keen to hang over and look into the balconies below. I would imagine that there will be lots of people there when we are going through the Panama Canal and who could blame them! If I didn't have a balcony I would be there too ;) . I booked this cabin as I thought it would be great for seeing the canal but recent posts I have read have given cause for concern.

If I can get an opinion about the vibrations and it seems reasonable (can it be soooo bad) I think I will stop worrying and just go with it. The alternative would be a Sky Suite and that would cost another £1,026 for both of us - just too much I am afraid. We booked air and hotels through Celebrity and it has worked out pretty expensive so far. Have you decided on a cabin yet?

I confess I sneaked a peek at your other photos of Mercury - I hope you enjoy your cruise and come back to let me know all about it.

Thanks again

Faye

We havve stayed in cabin 1163 twice now. Once before the balcony was added and once since. Love this cabin we have it again for our Pacific Northwest cruise in April.

The cabin is large the balcony is large and a part of it is covered so other passengers can not look down on you. Extra noise did not seem to be a problem and we were on a Alaska cruise where everyone was out on the decks. Great view from the aft of the ship and only one flight up is the food.

Lynn

Thank you for that information - what about the vibrations, is it as bad as some say ie so bad it rattles your teeth :eek: !!

The vibrations were very pronounced but they only occurred during the time when the ship was pulling in and out of port. Otherwise there were no vibrations.

I note that we are both on what was to be the inaugural cruise on the Independance on 17 May which has now been changed to 2nd May. Like you we can't change because of other arrangements but I do feel disapointed as I booked this cruise on the day the bookings opened to make sure I would be on the maiden voyage. To add insult to injury the cost for the 2nd May sailing is very much less than I paid for 17 May - perhaps they can't fill the ship:confused:

I sent an email to RCCL about the inaugural cruise issue and also complained about my never being contacted about the change. I received a canned response.

I just checked the RCCL U.S. and UK website and found the May 2nd sailings are more expensive for oceanview and balcony cabins.

We havve stayed in cabin 1163 twice now. Once before the balcony was added and once since. Love this cabin we have it again for our Pacific Northwest cruise in April.

The cabin is large the balcony is large and a part of it is covered so other passengers can not look down on you. Extra noise did not seem to be a problem and we were on a Alaska cruise where everyone was out on the decks. Great view from the aft of the ship and only one flight up is the food.

Lynn

You have made my mind up for me - I will stick with what I thought would be a good cabin. I can cope with the vibrations as long as it's not constant.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions - thanks again

Regards

Faye

Phil

Nice pic . thanks

Archived