Taking sodas on board

savannahgirl1

I was wondering if you are still allowed to bring a case of cokes on board? I emailed Holland America about this and the lady replied that they highly discourage people from trying it because they will be confiscated before you board. On this forum I have read where people on fairly recent cruises have took their own sodas on board with no problems. We are sailing March 22 on the Volendam out of Ft. Lauderdale. We are heavy coke drinkers and I hate the thought of paying $2 a can over 10 days when we could carry a case of 12-24 cans for $3.50-$6.50. Anybody know of Holland America confiscating cokes at boarding lately?

We waited until our first port and then proceeded to the nearest convenience store and purchased a case of Pepsi and had no problem getting it on board. And by the way, asking questions from strangers on this board usually gets you honest answers regardless of some opinions.;)

Yes I emailed and recieved an answer. But with conflicting information between that answer and what I have read here, I was just wondering if they discourage only if you ask them directly in hopes you heed the warning and not bring any so you have to buy them on board but if you do show up with cokes in tow, will they really confiscate them. And yes, I'm interested in a good deal on a bridge only if a ship is attached to it. ;)

Let's see if I've got this straight, you emailed the cruise line and asked a question. They answered. But you don't believe the answer? And you expect that someone here - whom you've never met before - would have better information?

Are you interested in a really good buy on a bridge?

:)

Yes I emailed and recieved an answer. But with conflicting information between that answer and what I have read here, I was just wondering if they discourage only if you ask them directly in hopes you heed the warning and not bring any so you have to buy them on board but if you do show up with cokes in tow, will they really confiscate them. And yes, I'm interested in a good deal on a bridge only if a ship is attached to it. ;)

Let's see if I've got this straight, you emailed the cruise line and asked a question. They answered. But you don't believe the answer? And you expect that someone here - whom you've never met before - would have better information?

Are you interested in a really good buy on a bridge?

:)

I found that contacting HAL directly led to being misinformed. You can take as much soda, water, and wine aboard for your personal consumption as you like. I took a case of water and 2 twelve packs of Coke for our Holiday cruise. No problrms. You can also buy bottled water and soda in ports and bring in on board. The only thing that maybe confiscated is beer and hard liquore.

I agree with you on spending $2 plus for a can of soda. I always bring a six pack of soda,a liter of Arizona Ice tea and a large to go mug. That way I can place a drink in my small bag and get ice from the Lido and enjoy.

Happy sailing!!

I bring my own nectar, Dr. Pepper. I have not however, ever brought a case.

I am one of those who believes in discretion- that making it conspicuous, is inviting the cruise line to re-evaluate their policies.

That is why I just brought cans. The ship sells cans and it is easier to simply carry a can with a glass of ice. You may have bought it from the ship for all anyone knows. I had a couple of people asking "how I got the can" since they had bought the soda card and were only given a glass, not the entire can. They wanted to know the secret to getting the entire can from the waitstaff.

I bring my own nectar, Dr. Pepper. I have not however, ever brought a case.

I am one of those who believes in discretion- that making it conspicuous, is inviting the cruise line to re-evaluate their policies.

That is why I just brought cans. The ship sells cans and it is easier to simply carry a can with a glass of ice. You may have bought it from the ship for all anyone knows. I had a couple of people asking "how I got the can" since they had bought the soda card and were only given a glass, not the entire can. They wanted to know the secret to getting the entire can from the waitstaff.

That's why it's "suggested" that anything you bring on board is enjoyed in the comfort of your cabin...

We were on the Noordam in October. In St. Thomas we purchased 2 twelve packs of Diet Coke with Lime and hauled them back to the ship. Went through security fine and back up to our room. It saved us some money, because I am quite the Diet Coke addict.:D

Happy sailing!

We stopped at a Publix before or Princess cruise last year and loaded a duffle bag up with 4 12-packs (Coke Zero, Sprite and root beer). Got a funny look from the porter when he unloaded that bag. He ask what was in it, and when I replied "soda" he just laughed. The three of us drank all but 4 cans which we left in the fridge for the next guest. The best part was making our own rootbeer floats when the buffet was serving ice cream. I don't drink coffee or tea and we don't drink alcohol. So I usually drink Coke Zero for all meals.

The 4 12-packs cost $11.00. Thas's 48 cans for 23 cents per can. Alot better than $2 per can. We saved about $85!!:D

Plan on doing the same this year. This time there will be four of us.;)

We boarded in Seward, AK and after checking in and dumping our bags in our room, we went into town for sightseeing. The shuttle bus driver dropped us off a couple blocks from the ship on the way back and we went into a grocery store and each bought a 12 pack of the smaller Pepsi/D. Pepsi bottles plus snacks. We had NO problem taking it back on board ship!!

I was looking on the HAL website for information about bringing bottled water or soda. Is it out there? I saw the prohibition against liquor, but that's not an issue for us. We'll do wine with dinner we we don't drink much other alcohol.

I don't think there is an explicit policy that you CAN bring NON-alcoholic beverages. It's more a negative implication from the fact that there is a policy that says you can ONLY bring wine and champagne as far as alcoholic beverages. That policy is at:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/guests/category.do?category=obpolicies&topic=alcohol

There is no comparable policy saying you cannot bring water or soda, and I would think it would be incumbent on them to post it if there were.

If someone from HAL is telling your friends they cannot bring water or soda, I would suggest that they or their TA ask to speak to a supervisor. I just don't think that information is correct.

I was wondering if you are still allowed to bring a case of cokes on board? I emailed Holland America about this and the lady replied that they highly discourage people from trying it because they will be confiscated before you board. On this forum I have read where people on fairly recent cruises have took their own sodas on board with no problems. We are sailing March 22 on the Volendam out of Ft. Lauderdale. We are heavy coke drinkers and I hate the thought of paying $2 a can over 10 days when we could carry a case of 12-24 cans for $3.50-$6.50. Anybody know of Holland America confiscating cokes at boarding lately?

Normally I take with me a small carry on with a week supply of bottle water and a half case of coke. If you take it on board as carry-on you will not have any issues. The only things these days is that with the weight restrictions when you take a domestic flight you might need to pick up your water and pop near the port prior to boarding the ship.

Archived