Candles Allowed?

rmlf1

The only candles allowed is one (1) candle on birthday cakes :p and they (waiters) make sure you blow out the candle in front of them.

I've only been in the Chapel in the daytime for I'm sorry I can't answer your second question.

Sorry some people "flamed" you about the candle issue. (Get the pun). :p

I bought some of the flameless tealights at Walgreens for about a dollar each. They 'flicker' also so when they are in a small glass container they really do look like a real candle.

Small and easy to pack, they would probably make a great nightlight in the cabin bathroom.

Bev

Lighting candles in church or chapel is a Catholic thing for some reason.

Just ask the internet:

"Prayer Candles

You may be fortunate enough to worship in a church which has a PRICKET STAND or a stand for holding VOTIVE or prayer candles. If you do, or when you go into a church that does, one will usually be found near a statue/shrine of a Saint or near to the Reserved Sacrament. Lighting a candle in prayer is a powerful symbol, full of meanings.

Here are some helpful ideas:

When we go, leaving the burning candle behind, we are reminded that our souls never leave the presence of God, in company with His Saints.

Prayer is not self-centered, it is God centered, and an important element is prayer for other people and causes. When lighting your candle, it is a very good idea to light a candle for those others you want to pray for.

The candle will not be a substitute for the prayer of your heart, but an accompaniment. A small offering which, in honoring the Saint and giving glory to God, speaks both from the heart and to the heart. Lighting votive candles in church, when asking the prayers of the Saints and thereby to the greater glory of God, is a popular practice in Anglo-Catholic parishes. It is a devotional practice in which many millions of Christians the world over have found inspiration."

Now we know. A donation is always expected.

If you want the candlelight "feeling", you can get battery powered "candles"--no flame at all!
We had one of these for our balcony, and it was very nice -- I'd never had one at home before. You just push down on the "candle" to turn it on or off, and it gives a soft little glow like a candle, but it's totally safe.

I think I paid about $5 for it at a drug store, and it was in a small glass container -- bigger than a tea candle, and though it had lots of use over the week, it didn't run out of battery. Because we were short on suitcase space, I threw it away when we packed up to go home. I'd definitely bring one for the balcony (and maybe one for the cabin too) next time.

Does anyone know about how long those Glade non-candle candles last? I mean if you lit it every night and left it on using it as a nightlight would it last the week of my cruise? I love sleeping by candle light but am always afraid to burn my house down so I'm going to try the fake ones.

Thanks

I love sleeping by candle light but am always afraid to burn my house down so I'm going to try the fake ones.

Thanks

How about just getting a night light you plug in the wall?

Hey Michelle,

Don't give up on the Liberty, we are going again on 12/13-12/20 with a group of 20. She is beautiful:)

I know that is the week before Christmas but it is quite affordable and you'll be home on the 20th.

Donna

Another resource for battery powered candles is QVC (qvc.com). They have a big selection....all sizes, scented and un-scented.

Jungle Jane, I think QVC has a UK program as well as here in the U.S., so your might want to check it out as well.

Hey Michelle,

Don't give up on the Liberty, we are going again on 12/13-12/20 with a group of 20. She is beautiful:)

I know that is the week before Christmas but it is quite affordable and you'll be home on the 20th.

Donna

Sad to say but I think Liberty is lost this year for me. :( I have trips (land based) booked pretty much for every other month this year. I think I will just save up for Genesis.

Thanks Rala, but I leave for Miami in, oh, about TWELVE HOURS :) :) :)

I'm going to stop by Walgreens tonight and grab a couple, IF I can make it out of the driveway-we are in the middle of some famous "wintry mix" right now :( I am so happy to be leaving!!!!

Hey guys! When I saw this thread I laughed and knew I had to post something.....last week we were in a GS on the Adventure of the Seas and had a lovely suite attendant named Amelia. Anyway, I come out of our room and start walking down the hall and hear the guy in the room next to us run after Amelia saying "hey do you have any matches for a candle?" I hear her start to explain that no candles are allowed and he says "well what if we put it in the sink and fill up the sink with water?" she said no and I hear him arguing "We'll put it in the ice bucket!" and by the end I couldn't keep listening without being obvious but....

Not sure if he was trying to set the mood or what but this guy REALLY wanted a candle in his room. :p

Laura

Archived