Land Tour: Go to McKinley Princess or Denali Princess Lodge

prsII

Looking for advice on Land Tours before taking our cruise.

1. What is the difference between what you can see and do at the McKinley and Denali Princess Lodge areas? Is it worth the longer trip to Denali?

2. Advice on booking the land portion of our trip through Princess or some other Tour company?

Thanks!

I too would like input from anyone who has stayed at the McKinley Princess Lodge. We are flying into Anchorage late Thursday night. Our cruise leaves Whittier on Saturday. We were thinking about spending Thursday night near the airport when we land, then driving out to the McKinley Princess Lodge on Friday around noon. We would only have one night to spend out there before we need to catch our Princess shuttle in Anchorage on Saturday afternoon to the ship. Is it worth the drive?

I've been to Anchorage twice before, and seen the sights there. I've never actually seen Mt. McKinley and I know there is only a 1 in 3 change it is clear enough to see it. Is there other wildlife nearby (we are going 23MAY) that we may see in Denali STATE park? We just don't have enough vacation to extend this trip longer to get into the National Park, and I thought this might be a nice way to spend the day.

I'd appreciate anyones input who has done this before. Also any other suggestions on where to spend our extra day would be appreciated.

The McKinley lodge has few activities, is good with McKinley viewable. With only one day, I would book myself a flight so to have far more chance of seeing the Mt from the air- which leave, 50 miles away from this lodge in Talkeetna.

No, don't count on any wildlife here.

To the OP, most certainly it is definately worthwhile to have at least 2 nights in the National Park area, and an entire day allowed for getting into the park. The shuttle bus to Fish Creek/Eielson is my min. recommendation in.

Archived