Driving-Montreal to NYC Pier morning of cruise?!?

shygirl

Is this a crazy idea? Not very relaxing;but school schedule not too flexible. Has anyone from Montreal done this before? How much extra time should we add for traffic closer to NYC. Mapquest states 6 hours and 44 minutes. Traveling on Sat. March 8. Would like to get to pier around noon. Leave Montreal 4am?

Any advice would be great.

Personally, I wouldn't do it, especially if you want to get there around noon. You'll be so exhausted. Is it an option for you to leave after school on Friday, drive a few hours, and sleep for the night somewhere along the way, and then continue on the next leg in the morning? You'll get a decent sleep and won't be exhausted. Besides, you don't know what traffic might be like, or at the border control.

I've driven from NJ (about 1 hour from NYC) t montreal a few times....takes 10 hours if you figure stops.....i guess you could go faster.

as an alternate....maybe you could leave a day early and take Amtrak? lovely ride, and you don't have to drive...just pack food, or buy it in the Gare Central in montreal ahead......(great selection!)

Thanks for the replies. We are actually driving our minivan from Toronto, Ontario with 2 kids; picking up a set of grandparents in Montreal and coming down 87 to New York. If we leave Toronto at 3:30pm we will not make it to Montreal until 9pm at night. Thought we would sleep a bit in Montreal and wake up early and drive straight there. Now if it takes 10 hours, we will have to make other arrangements. Grandma is refusing to fly. They have only taken group senior tours(where they are chauffeured everywhere), so having them travel alone and meeting us somewhere is a tough one.

Thanks for the replies. We are actually driving our minivan from Toronto, Ontario with 2 kids; picking up a set of grandparents in Montreal and coming down 87 to New York. If we leave Toronto at 3:30pm we will not make it to Montreal until 9pm at night. Thought we would sleep a bit in Montreal and wake up early and drive straight there. Now if it takes 10 hours, we will have to make other arrangements. Grandma is refusing to fly. They have only taken group senior tours(where they are chauffeured everywhere), so having them travel alone and meeting us somewhere is a tough one.

You will have to get up VERY early to make it there (about 3AM, on the road by 4:30AM). Border crossing can take a LONG time-make sure you have passports. Anything other than passports will cause more delays-birth certificates and DL are still accepted but you will have to wait for clearance. Could take quite a while with 6 people). The Champlain border crossing is a MESS as of last Friday. I had one of my drivers hung up there for 3 hours on Saturday-no passport, the check took over 2 hours.

It is doable, but plan for all contingencies. Driving time alone will be at LEAST 7 hours (figuring one stop for gas and bathroom). Then you have the border crossing, NYC traffic, drop off at the port and parking the car.

If it was me, I would take the kids out of school one day, get to Grandma's house a day before, drive at least 1/2 way to NYC in the daytime, spend the night (south of Albany) and only have 1-2 hours drive to the port. What is more important-having a child miss one day of school or being stressed to the max trying to get up at 3AM after not much sleep, driving 300+ miles, fighting NYC traffic and trying to enjoy yourselves. It is a no brainer to me!!!!

Also remember you are talking March and the weather from one end of the Northway (I87) to the other can be anything from great to traveling weather to blizzard or ice storm. Also take into consideration any delays due accidents even on good days. We live north of Albany and NY or Boston cruise we go one day ahead now. We have had issues previous with accidents and there is nothing you can do or predict. You can always stay just outside NY (15min.) for about $100. Then you are not exhausted either.

You will have to get up VERY early to make it there (about 3AM, on the road by 4:30AM). Border crossing can take a LONG time-make sure you have passports. Anything other than passports will cause more delays-birth certificates and DL are still accepted but you will have to wait for clearance. Could take quite a while with 6 people). The Champlain border crossing is a MESS as of last Friday. I had one of my drivers hung up there for 3 hours on Saturday-no passport, the check took over 2 hours.

It is doable, but plan for all contingencies. Driving time alone will be at LEAST 7 hours (figuring one stop for gas and bathroom). Then you have the border crossing, NYC traffic, drop off at the port and parking the car.

If it was me, I would take the kids out of school one day, get to Grandma's house a day before, drive at least 1/2 way to NYC in the daytime, spend the night (south of Albany) and only have 1-2 hours drive to the port. What is more important-having a child miss one day of school or being stressed to the max trying to get up at 3AM after not much sleep, driving 300+ miles, fighting NYC traffic and trying to enjoy yourselves. It is a no brainer to me!!!!

Greatam and I sometimes disagree but not this time. I really don't want you failing asleep on the road. Both the Northway and Thruway clean up very quickly in a snow storm but you are leaving yourself little margin for error. I would follow what he says(except directions--just kidding :0)).

I have a couple of rooms booked in Paramus, NJ just in case bad weather is in the forecast.

Greatam- thanks for the headsup about the Champlain border crossing situation. Have only cross in Buffalo and Sarnia so this is good to know. We all have passports.:)

This is our grand 2 week cruise/New York city trip; the kid's are being pulled out of school 4 days after their March break. So we are just trying to avoid adding another day off. Plus Dad can work another day.(someone's got to pay for the trip ;) )

Soon2Bmtnest- Sounds like you have done I87 drive plenty. Do you check the weather by just plugging in different cities along the route before you leave?

I have a couple of rooms booked in Paramus, NJ just in case bad weather is in the forecast.

Can I ask why you have rooms booked in Paramus??? Quite a bit out of your way unless you are planning on spending time in NJ. The FASTEST way is straight down the Northway/Thruway(87), across the Tappan Zee Bridge to the Saw Mill River Parkway to where it splits/ends and becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy (RT 9A). The elevated portion of the HH Pkwy ends practically in the driveway of the port.

Greatam- thanks for the headsup about the Champlain border crossing situation. Have only cross in Buffalo and Sarnia so this is good to know. We all have passports.:)

This is our grand 2 week cruise/New York city trip; the kid's are being pulled out of school 4 days after their March break. So we are just trying to avoid adding another day off. Plus Dad can work another day.(someone's got to pay for the trip ;) )

You will REALLY have to hustle if you are planning this trip in March. Bad weather could torpedo your plans. It would be a real bummer if you missed the ship due to a traffic accident or road closure.

I still think you would be far smarter taking the kids out of school and Dad taking a day off. Drive down around Newburgh or slightly south (it is really pretty around there). Get up on the day of your cruise, eat breakfast and you have about 2 hours to drive to the port. Daylight driving all the way and you won't be so tired.

Here's the website for the NY Thruway-weather alerts, lane closures, etc. etc.

http://www.nysthruway.gov/maps/index.html

Good luck!!!

Can I ask why you have rooms booked in Paramus??? Quite a bit out of your way unless you are planning on spending time in NJ. The FASTEST way is straight down the Northway/Thruway(87), across the Tappan Zee Bridge to the Saw Mill River Parkway to where it splits/ends and becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy (RT 9A). The elevated portion of the HH Pkwy ends practically in the driveway of the port.

Good luck!!!

LOL I actual disagree with these directions. I would stay on the Thruway until the Palisades interstate parkway(this is before the Tappan zee bridge)...Take the Palisades south to the George Washington Bridge stay in the right lane over the Bridge to 9a south(henry Hudson Parkway) to its end where you get off on the right right into the cruise terminal. I would stay at the Howard Johnson right off the Thruway south of Albany...if its still there...

I, personally, would NOT take the chance. Last year we sailed on the Spirit on Sunday but left Saturday morning. Thank-GOD we were not sailing on Saturday. We had a major snow storm on the Friday which left the city paralyzed...snow day in the schools and business shut down, flight cancelled left, right and center. We were lucky that the storm came in on Friday and not Saturday because everything was shut down by 7:00 a.m....the storm had started throughout the night. You would never have made it to NY...if the drive was in weather like that Friday.

I agree that if you can take the kids out of school for one day, leave Toronto Thursday night or even Friday morning but get at least 1/2 way to NY by Friday evening. With the weather we've all been hit with this winter, I just wouldn't chance it.

Good luck with your decision :)

LOL I actual disagree with these directions. I would stay on the Thruway until the Palisades interstate parkway(this is before the Tappan zee bridge)...Take the Palisades south to the George Washington Bridge stay in the right lane over the Bridge to 9a south(henry Hudson Parkway) to its end where you get off on the right right into the cruise terminal. I would stay at the Howard Johnson right off the Thruway south of Albany...if its still there...

The Tappan Zee on Saturday will be less congested than the GW. Construction on the GW is done quite frequently on Saturdays. Just ask my drivers coming from the Bronx trying to go West. They are constantly complaining about the traffic on the Cross Bronx over the GW on Saturdays due to construction on the GW. They usually leave the Bronx terminal between 6 and 10AM. The construction sometimes closes off the entrance to the HH, which would be very confusing to the OP.

But I still want to know why the OP has motel rooms booked in Paramus.

Husband have surrendered! Showed him your thoughts here and voila! Extra day of vacation.:D

Now, I have to cancel that Paramus hotel. I chose this hotel because there was a Red Lobster Restaurant-(grandma's favourite) next door and I could get a decent discount 20% off choice hotels without prepaying.

Yes, I was planning on taking the GW bridge. My 10 year old son is studying bridges now in grade 5 so it was a must to drive thru.

Here is the new plan:

Thurs-night drive to Grandma's

Fri-early morning departure - stay somewhere near Palisade Mall-son's have plans for the Lego store :rolleyes:

Sat-breakfast and straight to NYC pier

Hotels in Nanuet, West Nyjack and any other suggestions? Budget is important but none that has reviews starting with Yuck or Ewee. New 2.5 stars are good.

I think your hubby made a very wise decision :). It will also take so much pressure off. That's a pretty long haul to start on Friday evening.

We were going to stay in Nanuet last year but in the end decided to "splurge" and stay at Times Square. At the time, I did quite a bit of research around Nanuet and found some decent hotels near a mall...sorry can't quite remember what they were but one of them was brand new, just opening up. Could have been a Hampton Inn but there was also Candlewood Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, Days Inn. You probably can't go wrong with any of them for one night.

Have a great trip!

Glad to see you changed your plans, started reading this thread and kept saying to myself "no, leave earlier, omg what are they thinking? Don't they remember the March storms last year?????"

I would stay on the Thruway until the Palisades interstate parkway(this is before the Tappan zee bridge)...Take the Palisades south to the George Washington Bridge stay in the right lane over the Bridge to 9a south(henry Hudson Parkway) to its end where you get off on the right right into the cruise terminal.

Drove this route last year and found it really easy. We stayed the night before in Newbourgh. Relaxed easy trip into the city the next day.

Enjoy your trip!

We've done this before. Leave early, I suggest 3:30AM if you can manage it. The border will be clear at that time, but if you leave too late you hit the traffic at Albany. Pick up gasoline after the border (we usually stop at the Stewart's because the gas is cheap and you can pick up some breakfast items. Carry some small US change because of the toll road. Refill the car before entering New York City (the cheapest is usually the first rest stop after Albany). Take exit 13S to get on to the Palisades and cross with the George Washington Bridge and then head down the Hudson Parkway into the port. If you are at the port, the parking is upstairs and limited. It's a flat fee beyond a week or so.

New York city is always slow. This should bring you into New York city at the end of rush hour. Do NOT take the cross Bronx or Major Deegan. The Hudson parkway is the 9A South. It pretty much becomes street right near the port.

Thank goodness.

Whichever route you take will be satisfactory. You won't hit rush hour on Saturday morning, but you may hit construction on the GW. They often have the lanes crunched all the way to the left, so pay attention for the entrance to the HH. Sometimes it is blocked off with cones and you may have to drive around the cones.

Glad to see you changed your plans. My first thought was you are crazy to drive from Toronto to Montreal on the Friday afternoon that spring break starts. One benefit you will have working for you is that the weekend you are leaving is the weekend March break ends in much of Quebec, so you won't have as much traffic heading south with you.

Sandyrella-Thanks for the encouragement, booked the Hampton Inn, Nanuet-seems new and easy to get to. Funny you are from Point Claire. Hubby grew up in Kirkland. We are staying in Manhattan too but after the the cruise for 2 nights.

Ephraim- Glad to hear the drive can be done; but not with our crew this time(too much precious cargo onboard;) )

DanJ- I was really stressed weighing the two evils: cross the border in buffalo vs 401 traffic out of Toronto to Montreal. Since the drive is much shorter from Montreal to NYC we decided it was best.

Greatam- Great link for the NY Thruway conditions!

Sandyrella-Thanks for the encouragement, booked the Hampton Inn, Nanuet-seems new and easy to get to. Funny you are from Point Claire. Hubby grew up in Kirkland. We are staying in Manhattan too but after the the cruise for 2 nights.

Ephraim- Glad to hear the drive can be done; but not with our crew this time(too much precious cargo onboard;) )

DanJ- I was really stressed weighing the two evils: cross the border in buffalo vs 401 traffic out of Toronto to Montreal. Since the drive is much shorter from Montreal to NYC we decided it was best.

Greatam- Great link for the NY Thruway conditions!

You know what the best part of Toronto is for a Montrealer? The 401 back.

If you want to stay in Albany, you can bid on Priceline. We usually get the Hilton Garden at the airport. A very nice hotel with easy access to the highway. Ther are a number of restaurants around Wolf, if you want to eat (and a nice Targét store, if you want).

Is this a crazy idea? Not very relaxing;but school schedule not too flexible. Has anyone from Montreal done this before? How much extra time should we add for traffic closer to NYC. Mapquest states 6 hours and 44 minutes. Traveling on Sat. March 8. Would like to get to pier around noon. Leave Montreal 4am?

Any advice would be great.

I read that you've changed your plans which is a good thing. Many people are not aware of the new boarding rules that took effect this month. From the RCCL website:

For those that are cruising soon please note the new rules that are also found on the RCCL website so you are at the pier in plenty of time to board

Due to new government regulations requiring cruise lines to submit final departure manifests at least 60 minutes prior to sailing, guests are requested to complete Online Check-in no later than 3 days prior to their cruise. If you do not complete Online Check-in 3 days prior, you will be required to complete this process at the pier at least two hours prior to the published sailing time.

Please note: All guests must be checked-in and onboard the ship no later than 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time or you will not be permitted to sail.

I'm glad to see you changed your mind!!!

Waiting at the border can be painfully boring and long. The 4 times I have crossed the minimum time I have waited was almost 2 hours and with the longest being 4 hours. Plus when we were there in January 2 years ago there was an ice storm and they closed I-87 as soon as we crossed the border. It took us 18 hours to get home that night. (From Montreal to Philadelphia) With my previous experience driving from Montreal to NYC the day off would be so nerve wracking...I probably would have gotten an ulcer!! :D

But nevertheless, enjoy your trip down and I'm glad you can now take your time. ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!! :)

~Kristina

Hi Shy Girl:

I can offer some hotel names if you plan on staying in the Albany, NY area midway on your trip from Canada to the pier. On Wolf Road (which is a very built up road with many restaurants) there is Homewood Suites, Red Roof Inn and a Days INn which are budget hotels and all within walking distance to restaurants and a shoppping mall. Also, in that same vicinity is a Hilton Garden Inn but at the Hilton there a restaurant within but no restaurants within walking distance. Staying at Albany mid way would be much more relaxing for all of you I am sure. Staying in Paramus or in that vicinity you are not far at all from the pier but at least if you stay mid way in Albany or that area you will be refreshed for the drive the next day.

I'd second the recommendation of hotels on Wolf Road in Albany (DH works on Computer Drive East). There's a much better choice of hotels than at Exit 23, as well as much better restaurants. I'm partial to the Real Seafood Company myself - it's locally owned, not a chain, and has some of the best seafood in the Albany area.

Albany is not far enough south for us; though some of the Priceline wins for hotels in this area are phenomenal. We want to do most of the driving on Friday so we can enjoy Palisade Mall Friday evening.

What about Tarrytown/White Plains area for hotel. Might be able to get a deal here. Better or worse than Nanuet?

Archived