Finally! - Pics of CRANE BEACH, Barbados

Aplmac

One thing to remember, is that Crane beach is not for anyone wanting to swim or relax in the water, it can be VERY rough, and from experience, it is NOT the kind of beach to go for a relaxing afternoon.

You'll have to access the beach through the aforementioned property, and cannot rent chairs/umbrellas anywhere else.

It looks lovely in pictures, but on a nice sunny day we had brought all our stuff for a nice relaxing day at the beach, it looked lovely, but we were nearly blown away by the wind, after all it has the force of Atlantic waves and Winds coming in.

You would also probably be better off renting a car to get there, as we did, let's you see more of the island. Away from the West coast and towards the South or East coasts, it gets very windy and rough at times, there are no beaches in the East where you can swim, just remember if you want a nice beach where you can go and lie, and maybe have a swim or a drink, then Crane Beach is NOT the place to go, stick to the beaches on the sheltered West Coast, they are far better.

If however you just want to go and just look at a nice beach then fair enough.

You can still get in and get wet. It's not like the beaches in Cancun. It gets deep gradually so it's easy to go into the water and splash around and cool off. Usually you can go in above your waste and just 'jump' along with the waves and your head doesn't even get wet. It's not good for actual swimming and not good for snorkelling, but it's a beautiful place to spend the day.

It's worth it to go through the restaurant and pay the $ entrance fee, since you're going to get hungry anyway and you can use the entrance fee towards lunch or drinks. The entrance fee is not a daily pass. The pools are for hotel guests only, but at least you can access the beach comfortably, use the restrooms and the outdoor shower to rinse off.

Photo link..

2994430690100375545JKalbK_th.jpg

• 5 months later...

From mid-August to the end of October

the weather gets very different here in the islands.

It's Hurricane Season...and as various weather systems pass by

wind speeds drop, change direction

weather goes all back-to-front depending on the day.

The normally rough Atlantic coast gets calm like our West Coast normally is

- and today was such a day!

I went up to the Crane and got you some nice shots.

I hope you like them.

CraneBeach-17.jpg

By the time you get here in cruise season

it'll be a good bit more surfy than this..

Don't expect conditions like this in January, okay?

CraneResort-60.jpg

The new resort section, to the South of the famous beach above

CraneResort-34.jpg

All that's missing on the restaurant balcony...is you!

CraneBeach-32.jpg

More cute mid-Summer conditions!

Wow Aplmac.. was there this afternoon (gee maybe we were visting the same people.. ya think?!?!?!).. I've never seen water that flat at the Crane.. It was a bit more wavy today, but I didn't go to the beach.. only lazed in the pools for about 2 hours.. (while the thunder rolled on the west and central part of the island).

Wow Aplmac.. was there this afternoon

(gee maybe we were visting the same people.. ya think?!?!?!)

I've never seen water that flat at the Crane..

We wuz waitin on y'all, but you guys took too long to get there! :cool:

so we pulled out around 2:15 and stopped by Emerald City(nice supermarket,btw!)

to git some vittals.

Yes that was quite some weather...we were watching it from Apt. 354

but when we got home to Pine Gardens, there wasn't a drop of it in my rain gauge!

check this..

SemmerWeather-301.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, can't help with the cost of the taxi.. but do need to point out.. Aplmac photo's are stunning.. and the beach and area are as they look in the photo.. but the water is hardly ever as flat as it was that day.

I was there the same day.. and we were having some serious "backing up" of clouds and heaving showers on the west coast and into the middle of the island. I relaxed the pools at the crane and listed to the thunder..but not a drop came our way..

The Crane Beach is located on the South East coast and usually has a pretty good swell.. good for body surfing and being very careful..

Sunnie is right about both things: Mr. aplmac's photographs are both compelling and stunning and that you are seeing a rare day at Crane in them.

Crane is not a snorkeling, swimming beach. It is a get-wet-to your-knees and enjoy (for most people). There are many Mark Spitzs' that make swimming here look like child's play, but the SE and E coast beaches are dangerous. Please do not be deceived.

Now, how much does it cost to get there?

We don't taxi anymore, but the last time I checked taxi rates were US$25/hr for up to four (4) in the cab. It may be more now with gas prices as they are.

You'd have to put Crane at an hour from the dock and it could be 1-1/2 hours if you hit traffic just right.

The posted charges for a cab from the harbour to Crane are $US17 one way. This may be an old price, I can't tell. I would think US$ 22-25 one way would be a fair fare (sorry).

It's worth it and it looks just like Mr. aplmacs photos - perhaps better. It has been chosen as one of the 10 best beaches in the world by Conde Nast.

How can you go wrong with that? :)

• 4 weeks later...

Crane's Beach is the most beautiful beach that we have seen. However, the water is rough. Some may say that it isn't that bad, but when we visited it was dangerously rough. My husband was thrown and tossed around and lost his glasses. (I know, who would wear their glasses???) I also got tossed onto my head and I was only waist high in the water. When we visited, the new resort was not there, it was very quiet with few visitors. The taxi ride was lengthy and pricey. We shared a cab with another couple. We will be in Barbados again this year, not sure if we will be visiting Crane's Beach.

• 3 weeks later...

Found this review on TripAdvisor.com:

“love the crane”

caitlynnb

maine

Jul 13, 2008

my family and i go to the crane for two weeks every thanksgivign and we love it. the renovations to the pools are amazing and the views are the best.

we used to take cruises that stopped at barbados often and were told to visit the crane. we pd the $25 fee per person to access the beach, and just used the fee toward our lunch. i've read all the reviews and it seems this makes ppl very mad. i think most don't understand that while crane beach is public, the resort is not. i don't fault the hotel staff from wanting to maintain a private atmosphere for the guests. if the angry visitors calmed down, they would realize that their is a public entryway to the beach where there is no cost, about 1/2 mile past the crane hotel. a local bus (much cheaper than a taxi from bridgetown) can even drop you off there if you inquire.

anyway the crane is one of the most beautiful beaches and resorts i've ever been too, and would recommend it to anyone who loves barbados and enjoys some waves instead of a boring flat sea."

We plan on visiting Crane in January. I just can’t pass it up! I’m an avid wave player /boogie boarder and will have mine with me. My question is do they allow them there? Is the surf okay even if I only go part way out? I’ve encountered rough surf from Cape Cod to the Outer Banks, Hawaii & Cancun and wonder just how bad this actually is compared to those.

Also we do want to utilize the resort and pay the fee for the chairs, umbrellas, etc. My other question is on how the credit works for lunch & drinks at the resort. There will be 4 of us so does that mean we get a full $100 credit toward lunch & drinks?

We plan on visiting Crane in January. I just can’t pass it up!

I’m an avid wave player /boogie boarder and will have mine with me.

My question is do they allow them there?

Is the surf okay even if I only go part way out? ===> Cruel beach break dude

I’ve encountered rough surf from Cape Cod to the Outer Banks, Hawaii & Cancun

and wonder just how bad this actually is compared to those.

Also we do want to utilize the resort and pay the fee for the chairs, umbrellas, etc. ===> $25 Barbados currency = US$12.50 =not bad!

My other question is on how the credit works for lunch & drinks at the resort.

There will be 4 of us so does that mean we get a full $100 credit toward lunch & drinks? ===> I reckon so..

The wave action as far as boogie-boarding at Crane is concerned is not good.

Basically, it's a big ole lumpy beach break that'll slam-dunk you into the sand.

ACCRA is more your speed for boogie-boarding, with a 30(?) yd. run in to the shore

When last I spoke on the phone with the lady at the Crane

she informed me that the Bds.$25 day-pass fee is useable against your bar and restaurant bill

so indeed four of you should have a total credit of Bds.$100

Things can be a little pricey at The Crane, so don't expect it to cover your whole bill

although I'm sure it'll go quite aways

• 3 weeks later...
As promised many many moons ago - last year,in fact..

Here are some current(9:30 this morning)

pics of Crane Beach, Barbados..

a setting involving pink sands and turquoise waters.

I've started an album to this effect, over at Facebook...

please click on...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=28899&l=5aa48&id=682113168

I think your best bet for seeing large versions of these pics

is there...at my Facebook album.

Thanks for waiting so long..:o

OK, why I'm the only one who can't see these pics??? Do you have to have an account with Facebook?????

OK, why I'm the only one who can't see these pics??

Do you have to have an account with Facebook???

OK...I've just revisited the album and copied the (allegedly-)public link and it is

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=28899&l=dbc31&id=682113168

which is probably the same thing? but try again.

Yes,I know Facebook likes to have you sign up

(you'll probably like it,anyway...find a bunch of old schoolfriends from years back

..trust me, you're the only one who's not on Facebook,these days)

OK...I've just revisited the album and copied the (allegedly-)public link and it is

(you'll probably like it,anyway...find a bunch of old schoolfriends from years back

Thanks! I see it just fine now. BTW-sometimes being the only one not on something is not such a bad thing. ;)

Ah, there they are! Gorgeous views. Thanks for posting a new link.

Dave, are your pix copyrighted, or can I use a couple to make everyone envious of my upcoming trip?? :D

The last time we went to Crane Beach' date=' we asked the taxi driver to take us to the public access area of the beach. It is on the other end from the hotel....and you do have to clamor over some rocks....but it's not too bad. There are chairs and umbrellas there for rental and you can buy beer on the beach. The surf is awesome, but quite rough. Another poster described the beach as "stunning" and that's the only word I would use to describe it also. The taxi driver came back to pick us up at a specified time. It was just a perfect day. Can't wait to go back![/quote']

how much was the taxi round trip? (I assume from the port)

Ah, there they are! Gorgeous views. Thanks for posting a new link. ===> Thanks for liking them!

Dave, are your pix copyrighted, ===> I guess..

or can I use a couple to make everyone envious of my upcoming trip?? :D ===> Yes, go ahead, make them suffer! :D

Just don't let me see my pics on the cover of TIME -without my con$ent..

- yes of course you can use them to make friends envious. :)

Or just pass on that public Facebook link, if you like (as long as it works for them).

CraneBeach-30.jpg

wowowowow.. how the heck did you get that shot... ===> Sigma 10-20 mm. lens

- and when you say look out point.. where is this???

From the pool area

walk Eastward out across the lawn

until you get to the low white wall, near the stone bench.

Look down there -you'll see.:eek:

..but don't drop over :D

1486100027_Sigma--10-20mm_lens.jpg.cc02f6527630a3c7132fd38bf551e0c6.jpg

Archived