What if question..... for a solo traveler?

This is my first RCI cruise and it is also my first solo cruise. I have previously cruised NCL and love Freestyle but have never gone as a single.

When booking this cruise I chose an 8-10 person dining table option thinking it would be nicer to meet more people. I've read on CC the horror stories about a single being at a table and being the only one there or having terrible tablemates!:eek:

Is there a way I can assure I can be able to enjoy my single cruise which includes dining in a nice dining room? I do not cruise to be relegated to the buffet as I like the main dining rooms.

Any suggestions?

Another question I have is whether a nice evening slack outfit of satin slacks, glittery sweater, satin shoes and nice silk shawl will be acceptable for the formal nights? I do not wear formals.

I appreciate any input you may have for me.

Thanks!

Nervous Nellie

When you board go and see the Maitre D, he will be able to tell you the composition of your table, like 4 singles, 2 couples, etc. and age range.

In 13 cruises we have had 99% wonderful table mates so give it a try. Get involved in your roll call which is a nice way to meet others.

Also what you have planned for formal night sounds very nice.

Nellie: the very first cruise that my husband and I went on, we had two single female cruisers at our dining table. I remember that one was from California and I'm not sure where the other was from. Anyhow, we had them and another couple and we had a blast. Both ladies were so much fun. I don't think you need to worry about it.

As for your outfit for formal night, it sounds perfect. You will see everything from very fancy to slacks and blouse. You will look great! Have a wonderful cruise.

Your outfit sounds perfect for formal night.

I agree with Sue's advice about talking to the maitre'd to find out the composition of your table. One time when I sailed solo, my tablemates never showed up. The maitre'd and my waitress were appalled and were looking for a new table for me before I even asked. As it was it wasn't necessary because the table next to me invited me to join them - and they were some of my favorite tablemates so far.

This is my first RCI cruise and it is also my first solo cruise. I have previously cruised NCL and love Freestyle but have never gone as a single.

When booking this cruise I chose an 8-10 person dining table option thinking it would be nicer to meet more people. I've read on CC the horror stories about a single being at a table and being the only one there or having terrible tablemates!:eek:

Is there a way I can assure I can be able to enjoy my single cruise which includes dining in a nice dining room? I do not cruise to be relegated to the buffet as I like the main dining rooms.

Any suggestions?

Another question I have is whether a nice evening slack outfit of satin slacks, glittery sweater, satin shoes and nice silk shawl will be acceptable for the formal nights? I do not wear formals.

I appreciate any input you may have for me.

Thanks!

Nervous Nellie

Winnie,

It's definitely a 'different' kind of thing, eating with people you are just meeting....I'll tell you though, on the cruise I was on in 05 with my now ex wife we were seated with two separate couples and the conversation was awkward at best. In 06 I went solo and they seated me with one group of 7. What a difference. My suggestion to you is to try to get seated with a group, because the more people who actually know each other at the table, the warmer it will be. My tablemates pretty much made my solo cruise.

Good Luck. You're gonna have a great time!!! Cruising is awesome!:)

I'd go on the cruise and have a great time. You can always go to alternative dining options or change the table if you find the first night fit is bad.

Sue was right in sharing that you should check with M'D on first day to see what the mix of folks may be at your table.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

I went on a solo cruise for the first time last year. I asked for a large table, but was placed at a table for 6 - only 5 appeared. Me and 2 other couples. A bit awkward at first, but I grew to enjoy both couples a great deal as the week progressed. We would always compare what we had done during the day and share our stories. A nice recap.

Jen

My last cruise was a solo one - I have to admit I was nervous that first night when I arrived at the dining room - but my tablemates were interesting and outgoing people. I looked forward each day to discussing what we had all been up to during the day.

Go- enjoy - you may make new friends - I still email one of the people I met at dinner.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences. I'm not the least bit afraid of meeting new people in fact I'm really looking forward to it. I'm very outgoing. My concern was to be seated at a large table and nobody else shows up! :eek: I'll do as recommended and check with the M'D. I know I'll have a great time.. I know how to make my own fun:D People watching should be an Olympic sport! LOL

I'm really excited to be sailing RCI as I've followed this forum for a while and read so many great things about RCI.

I can also rest easy that I don't need to pack a full length gown to fit in. I like to dress up for dining but wasn't sure my slacks would quite 'do'. I prefer to pack as light as possible.

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I can hardly wait! :D 18 days.woo hoo!

Thanks again!

Winnie

I've gone on many solo cruises. I've always had nice tablemates, families, couples, younger and older than me. Never really had a problem.

Not sure how soon you are cruising but something else you can do is to get involved on your Roll Call and start to meet some people that way. I've dined with people I've meet that way too.

As I understand it, if you are unhappy with your table mates, you are able to request a table transfer. We had one instance where our table mates were unfriendly, and we were told we could switch to another table. We ended up happily eating at our own pace and time in Windjammer instead, but on a longer cruise, I would definitely change.

A question for all you solos. I have thought about doing a solo cruise, and wondered if it is better to have a room to yourself, or to find a roommate to save on the cost? Also, where is the best place to go to find someone looking for a roommate? Thanks for any help.

Denise

Well Denise, if you found someone to go with you then you won't be a solo cruiser. ;) If you mean solo as in not taking hubby, then I get ya.

I would suggest if you want to cruise without hubby but not alone, see if a friend can go. If not, I don't recommend that you *find* someone online ie Craigs List.

I know some people on here that have shared rooms but they had time to get to know each from posting. I'm part of a group on here that has posted together for a few years. Two of the gals knew they would get along and they roomed together on our cruise. It went very well, wellll except the one gal brought waaaay too many shoes and took up most of the closet floor. :p

Hi Wrona. ;)

I know some people on here that have shared rooms but they had time to get to know each from posting. I'm part of a group on here that has posted together for a few years. Two of the gals knew they would get along and they roomed together on our cruise. It went very well, wellll except the one gal brought waaaay too many shoes and took up most of the closet floor. :p

Hi Wrona. ;)

HEY!! I left her a whole square foot of floor space!:p

I've sailed solo and as Micki mentioned above I've also found roommates among my friends here on cruise critic. I love sailing by myself as it is a completely relaxing experience not having to worry about anybody but yourself. I find RCCL does a great job of making me feel special and taken care of when I'm sailing solo. That being said, my cruise with my CC roommate was one of my best ever. It turned out so well we are rooming together in Chicago this year AND on a cruise next year.

I agree with Sue's advice about talking to the maitre'd to find out the composition of your table. One time when I sailed solo, my tablemates never showed up. The maitre'd and my waitress were appalled and were looking for a new table for me before I even asked. As it was it wasn't necessary because the table next to me invited me to join them - and they were some of my favorite tablemates so far.

I had a similar problem on the Legend of the Seas. It was me an one one other man at a table for 10!. We did not get moved to a great table for 8 until the third night.

Some poor solo man was seated with my wife, our two small children, and me on an NCL cruise ten years ago. The guy lasted one meal.

Winnie,

I am a frequent traveling solo person on RCCL. I continue to come back to RCCL since I know that I will have dining companions. All my experiences have been very good except for my last cruise in September. Trust this reviewers on the board to check out your table assignment on the afternoon that you board. I requested a big table and was placed at a table of 4 with only one other couple. I didn't check my table out for the first time. I walked away that first night feeling that the tables around me saying "look at the single female traveling solo." Since the couple sensed my being uncomfortableness, made a big deal about the next night dinner, I did not elect to change. I discussed the dining situation with the conceirge staff member since I was a diamond member who contacted the matre'd. It took three follow-up phone calls by the conceirge to get the matre'd to respond to my concern for future single travelers. We did get a round of champagne on the cruise line for the table due to the poor response.

I would also suggest that you start talking to your fellow cruisers on mix and mingle. On this trip, I knew my next door cabin mates and the people above my balcony who kept a good eye on me and invited me to events and to have a drink. I was also able to hook up with a couple for an evening at Chops by these earlier conversations. If your cruise has the mystery dinner--it is also another way to eat at a speciality restaurant while having a great evening of entertainment, drink, and food.

Have a great time on your trip. If you like mixers, the staff does have several opportunities to meet your fellow single travelers if you are into that type of fun.

kek17

Cincinnati, OH

I had a similar problem on the Legend of the Seas. It was me an one one other man at a table for 10!. We did not get moved to a great table for 8 until the third night.

Some poor solo man was seated with my wife, our two small children, and me on an NCL cruise ten years ago. The guy lasted one meal.

On my Vision cruise, we had a group of 15 CC'ers at two side-by-side 8-tops.

They filled that 16th chair with a solo traveler. Imagine being the only total stranger in a group of 16!

He missed dinner with us on the second night and we thought we had scared him away, but he was with us every night after that, and even participated when we switched people around between the two tables some of the nights so the online friends could have a chance to chat face-to-face. (We had asked for tables that had the same waiter, but got tables with different waiters - and they were VERY good sports about our musical chairs dining experience.) He was a really nice guy, and I even ended up chatting with him when I saw him in one of the lounges one night.

Wrona -- this happened on my Jewel cruise in Dec. I had't checked earlier where my table was or who were my tablemates. The request was for a large table - 8 to 10 people -- I walked in the first night and found I was at a table for 4.:eek: Oh well, figured I would just make the most of it for that night and ask to move. Well, 10, 15 minutes go by -- no one else comes to the table. People are starting to look at me as if I have sprouted 2 heads. My server was amazing - she came over right away with the head waiter from that section and apologized! Head Waiter went off to find me another table to sit at - but the table beside me asked me to join them. What could have been a disaster turned out to be one heck of a good time. That table and I got along so well - they actually moved 2 people (who hadn't come in that night) to another table so I could stay there. We had a blast every night at dinner and would meet up occasionally at the Schooner. This was the first cruise in a long time that I tipped the Head Waiter. (No one from my original table ever came in - that table remained empty at late seating the whole cruise.)

All my cruises have been solo -- this was the first time I had a 'bad' table. I don't think getting a bad table is restricted to solo travellers -- I've seen some tables where everyone is a couple and they all look miserable.

Like other posters have said - check w/the Maitre D the afternoon you board. Find out exactly what your table size is and who might be sitting there. One thing that now plays a big part of missing table mates is the alternate dining options like Chops and Portofino's. Your table mates may go 'astray' one night, but be back the next.

Archived